+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manager rumours.. - New name Vítor Campelos

Re: Manager rumours..

I like the sound of Campelos. Ever since Lamouchi slung his hook I've been telling Tuerto the next City manager will be someone we'd never previously heard of. Campelos fits the bill perfectly - I'd never even heard of the club he's currently at, let alone the man himself.

It would be good to have something different - someone who isn't already a part of the usual manager merry-go-round. Don't like the idea of Garcia at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I like the sound of Campelos. Ever since Lamouchi slung his hook I've been telling Tuerto the next City manager will be someone we'd never previously heard of. Campelos fits the bill perfectly - I'd never even heard of the club he's currently at, let alone the man himself.

It would be good to have something different - someone who isn't already a part of the usual manager merry-go-round. Don't like the idea of Garcia at all.
    I prefer Garcia of the two, but will be fairly positive about either

Almost exactly what I thought and how I feel

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Almost exactly what I thought and how I feel
    Me too.

That Garcia reminds me of Barry from Eastenders.

You did indeed, although i was more worried about someone coming in from the Malaysian league.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    This is from Zach Lowy, a European football journalist:

Campelos would do a very good job at Cardiff.

He’s done a brilliant job at Chaves these past few years on a shoestring budget — let’s see how he does in Wales.

Chaves were in the race for Europe until the final weeks of the season but they neglected to apply for a UEFA license and automatically disqualified themselves. Wonder if that played a role in Campelos’ U-turn from signing a new contract to leaving Chaves.

Many had Chaves down as relegation candidates — they’ve not only finished seventh with the best return out of any of the three promoted teams, but they’ve also played some very good football. Campelos has done a great job developing players like Bruno Langa and João Mendes.

Chaves’ joint-top scorers are Steven Vitória, a 36-year-old Canadian center back, and Hector Hernandez, a Spanish striker who missed two months due to injury, with 7 goals.

They’ve punched above their weight and maximized their potential without spending a dime.

Chaves sold Brazilian center back Alexsandro to Lille last summer and sold Angolan winger João Batxi to Krasnodar a few days before the window, two vital cogs in their promotion.

They haven’t missed a beat and have exceeded expectations in the top-flight this season.

He’s like Mourinho, someone who modifies his tactics based on the opponent rather than a set philosophy.

Has mainly switched between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 and required a lot of contribution from his fullbacks (Bruno Langa and João Correia) to go forward

Chaves were in the race for Europe until the final two weeks, they have beaten Braga, Benfica and Sporting, and they’ve done so with their only goalscoring outlet Hector Hernandez being injured for a few months.
    Excellent. Another manager we can destroy!

If anyone thinks this is likely then 2-1 is still on offer.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Me too.

That Garcia reminds me of Barry from Eastenders.
    Barry would probably do as well as Trollope, Hudson or Bamba.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Excellent. Another manager we can destroy!
    This is a hell of a job, if anyone can turn us around they must be brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This Twitter thread on Campelos is worth a read.

https://twitter.com/zachlowy/status/...SeQDCMl5FM5pZw
    This part from the replies is interesting too:

Apart from their two fullbacks Bruno Langa and João Correia and Ghanaian forward Issah Abass, most of their key players are out of contract this summer

Re: Manager rumours.. - New name Vítor Campelos

campelos' job history isn't great prior to the Chaves job.
    hopefully he's got something and isn't just another Russel Slade who had a good season or two

Rumours have it that Campelos has had a few Interviews. If true I 'm quite impressed the way the club has gone about its business.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rumours have it that Campelos has had a few Interviews. If true I 'm quite impressed the way the club has gone about its business.
    The easiest thing would’ve been to keep Lamouchi. For whatever reason they didn’t fancy that.

There’s lots of clubs looking for managers so it was never going to be a quick and easy fix…unless it was Bamba

Let’s wait and see what they produce

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    hopefully he's got something and isn't just another Russel Slade who had a good season or two
    You're right, "mediocre" would be too generous a word to describe his career before he went to Chaves in 2021 as can be seen from his Wikipedia page;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADtor_Campelos

It's telling that all of the articles that Wikipedia page contains links to are from 2021 onwards - this would seem to confirm his lack of impact until he got to Chaves. That said, his career has always been going forward, albeit slowly, from its very humble beginnings and looking at the articles which have been posted in this thread about Campelos, it does sound like he's done an outstanding job at his current club.

In my view, anyone who states beforehand that they know for certain that Campelos will be brilliant or a flop if he comes here is an idiot - what i will say mind is that it would be an intriguing appointment which just might turn into an inspired one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You're right, "mediocre" would be too generous a word to describe his career before he went to Chaves in 2021 as can be seen from his Wikipedia page;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADtor_Campelos

It's telling that all of the articles that Wikipedia page contains links to are from 2021 onwards - this would seem to confirm his lack of impact until he got to Chaves. That said, his career has always been going forward, albeit slowly, from it's very humble beginnings and looking at the articles which have been posted in this thread about Campelos, it does sound like he's done an outstanding job at his current club.

In my view, anyone who states beforehand that they know for certain that Campelos will be brilliant or a flop if he comes here is an idiot - what i will say mind is that it would be an intriguing appointment which just might turn into an inspired one.
    We're flirting with relegation so a wildcard wouldn't be the emd of the world as we'll probably be down whoever we select.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Apart from their two fullbacks Bruno Langa and João Correia and Ghanaian forward Issah Abass, most of their key players are out of contract this summer
    Perhaps that's the reason we're considering him.

He hasn't done much at all and coming here will be quite the culture shock!

But then...beggars can't be choosers

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    Perhaps that's the reason we're considering him.
    I would have thought there'd be work permit/Brexit issues preventing us from bringing in too many foreign players who aren't full internationals.

Ive no idea if this bloke would be any good.

However with a poor squad , unable to buy players giving the job to a manager with no experience of a tough league like the Championship is a huge risk.

To me we have a young Welsh manager who knows the club , knows the league and the side hes built has just got promoted. To me its an open goal an easy choice we should be going for Nathan Jones. I think hes the standout candidate (on realistic targets if we had money and ambition he wouldn't be my choice) and our best option of avoiding relegation.

I also dont trust our clowns and their interview process.

Breaking - Big Sam available

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ive no idea if this bloke would be any good.

However with a poor squad , unable to buy players giving the job to a manager with no experience of a tough league like the Championship is a huge risk.

To me we have a young Welsh manager who knows the club , knows the league and the side hes built has just got promoted. To me its an open goal an easy choice we should be going for Nathan Jones. I think hes the standout candidate (on realistic targets if we had money and ambition he wouldn't be my choice) and our best option of avoiding relegation.

I also dont trust our clowns and their interview process.
    I agree every Manager appointment is a gamble, but he is best placed to know the players and the League, it's a tough job.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I agree every Manager appointment is a gamble, but he is best placed to know the players and the League, it's a tough job.
    "knowing the league" is the most overrated concept in British football

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve bought myself a LOM decoder off Amazon, the neighbours are complaining about the noise from the huge generator that comes with it.
    bet hes great at the conumdrum on countdown

‘A good season or two’? :-/

"knowing the league" is the most overrated concept in British football
    After ‘knows the club’.