+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why do they do it ?

Why do they do it ?

I watched the Seville v Roma game last night and the diving and play acting were plain ridiculous. Holding hands to face when struck on the shoulder, collapsing like they've been shot, not to forget the lying prostrate on the pitch waving one leg high in the air to indicate it's 'serious', and the hand thumping the pitch.

Grown men acting like babies. Maybe the occasional dive, but that was just so embarrassing. I just wonder if they think of what folk think of them, but probably not.

Re: Why do they do it ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I watched the Seville v Roma game last night and the diving and play acting were plain ridiculous. Holding hands to face when struck on the shoulder, collapsing like they've been shot, not to forget the lying prostrate on the pitch waving one leg high in the air to indicate it's 'serious', and the hand thumping the pitch.

Grown men acting like babies. Maybe the occasional dive, but that was just so embarrassing. I just wonder if they think of what folk think of them, but probably not.
    It's embarrassing

Jay Bothroyd was a right actor

They do it because a lot of the time it works.

Mourinho's strategy is to pressurise the officials into giving yellow, reds and get free kicks where set pieces allow opportunities to score.
    Rubbish to watch but gets results.

I thought that the officials did well yesterday to combat their "cheating" as they'd seen it first hand from his teams on many occasions.

It's not going to stop until the idiots that run football get tough

That means cheating leads to a ban . A five match ban would soon spread the word .

I though VAR was going to be used but they don't do a thing when blatant diving is clearly caught on camera but its impotent

Maybe the authorities see it as all part of the drama but it's cringeworthy imo

Quasi theatrical event.
    I wrote about it extensively in my Theatre Degree in University. Imagine going to watch a Greek Tragedy or Comedy with 60,000 people and you can't hear what is being said, the head holding is the semiotics of pain, imagined or real, or contact, illegal or other wise. In a nut shell but i think i extended it to 20,000 words.
    Obviously for the TV audience its very different, which i also wrote about - The impact of live broadcast and the effects on televised sports. It was a very long time ago now but i think my conclusion was sports fans are idiots....joking lol

There was a recent home game, I think it was Sunderland, where one of their players went down as if he’d been shot, yet after treatment ,he was running around as if nothing had happened. Referees should book them or just let the physios come on, without stopping the game, as they do in Rugby.

the trouble is, the next generation of footballers see it, they copy it, grassroots coaches dont stamp it out as most want to win

I know people love my stories, I took my girls team to a tournament on Sunday ( 8.15 registration, ouch ) a few local teams ( all play in the same league ), a few from slightly further afield and one girls academy team ( which to me, seems pointless for them to enter as they should be the best of the best, they weren't , they beat us by 2 and did go on to won it, but they had to earn it in a few games )

anyways, this academy team were diving, faking injury, get near the box and down they go, what really sums it up for me though is one tackle ( a shoulder to shoulder ) my player took the other girl of her feet, the player must have rolled about 7 times, led of the floor, the ref shouts " play on, shoulder to shoulder tackle " player rolled a little more, then started to bang her hand on the floor in agony, the coach runs on ( to the ref ) the players surround the ref, Lino goes to the ref ( to back him up I guess ) fair tackle, shoulder to shoulder he says again, Coach and players are telling him she should be sent off, player is hobbling around the pitch, throw in taken to her, she sprints after the ball, a miracle of a recovery

now while this could have been them watching EPL UCL football, this must have been coached into them, any 50 / 50 they are down rolling around, even going down during a corner with someone marking them, one of my girls said after " on one of the corners, I was stood goal side, she just flopped to the floor, I didnt touch her " ( now I 100% believe this girl, she is has honest as the day is long )

If we cant have honesty in grassroots games, what chance does the game have

The officiating from the English officials last night did not help. By the time Taylor tried to stamp his authority on the game it was too late and the ship had sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the trouble is, the next generation of footballers see it, they copy it, grassroots coaches dont stamp it out as most want to win

I know people love my stories, I took my girls team to a tournament on Sunday ( 8.15 registration, ouch ) a few local teams ( all play in the same league ), a few from slightly further afield and one girls academy team ( which to me, seems pointless for them to enter as they should be the best of the best, they weren't , they beat us by 2 and did go on to won it, but they had to earn it in a few games )

anyways, this academy team were diving, faking injury, get near the box and down they go, what really sums it up for me though is one tackle ( a shoulder to shoulder ) my player took the other girl of her feet, the player must have rolled about 7 times, led of the floor, the ref shouts " play on, shoulder to shoulder tackle " player rolled a little more, then started to bang her hand on the floor in agony, the coach runs on ( to the ref ) the players surround the ref, Lino goes to the ref ( to back him up I guess ) fair tackle, shoulder to shoulder he says again, Coach and players are telling him she should be sent off, player is hobbling around the pitch, throw in taken to her, she sprints after the ball, a miracle of a recovery

now while this could have been them watching EPL UCL football, this must have been coached into them, any 50 / 50 they are down rolling around, even going down during a corner with someone marking them, one of my girls said after " on one of the corners, I was stood goal side, she just flopped to the floor, I didnt touch her " ( now I 100% believe this girl, she is has honest as the day is long )

Interesting as the few professional women games i watched, i was pleased at how little i saw of this sh1te, especially crowding the referee.

A Professional club acted in this way?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The officiating from the English officials last night did not help. By the time Taylor tried to stamp his authority on the game it was too late and the ship had sailed.
    That game was never going to be a classic and was odds on to pan out the way it did.
    I thought the officials did well to keep order and not be bullied into making wrong decisions.

From the referee's point of view, just imagine the pressure of 22 players (it wasn't just Roma) screaming in your face after virtually every bit of contact.
    (I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised in the number of fouls was a record).

Anthony Taylor isn't my favourite referee and made a couple of errors but was helped out by his team and technology.
    To ask for the pelanty miss to be retaken takes some bottle as does explaining rationally, without losing it or giving in, to every substitute taking it in turns to bellow in the face of oneself when a decision doesn't go their way.

I can't think of many referees who could have handled the game better than Taylor and I applaud him, and the other three, for their handling of the nightmare scenario that they endured.

what age group is that?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Interesting as the few professional women games i watched, i was pleased at how little i saw of this sh1te, especially crowding the referee.
    a little " going down cheaply / diving " creeping in IMHO, agreed they are normally respectful of the ref

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A Professional club acted in this way?
    They are a academy team, pay £45 a month to play for them, train twice per week

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what age group is that?
    U16

Captain only allowed to talk to the officials, yellow card if anyone else does. And any dissent from the captain gets the same treatment.

Would stamp it out really quickly. Rugby is so far ahead in how a much more complex game is officiated in general, but this seems like a very obvious one.

I would make it a rule that any theatrics result in a decision - even if it's technically a foul - being overturned.

shirt tug in the box - penalty. attacker then throws his hands in the air, flicks his legs up and rolls on the floor 7 times when he hits the deck - decision reversed, no pen and free kick to the defending team

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    2nd or 3rd minute the Seville player went down holding his face. If he'd booked him then it would have made the game much better. English officials aren't that good unfortunately. The PL has a couple of new ones and 2 Aussies who are much better that Taylor.

2nd or 3rd minute the Seville player went down holding his face. If he'd booked him then it would have made the game much better. English officials aren't that good unfortunately. The PL has a couple of new ones and 2 Aussies who are much better that Taylor.
    Unfortunately, the officials are in a very difficult position. They don't want to be seen to spoil a final, if they start dishing out cards early then it's probably not going to end well, and they'll get slaughtered for it. Not saying it's right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Unfortunately, the officials are in a very difficult position. They don't want to be seen to spoil a final, if they start dishing out cards early then it's probably not going to end well, and they'll get slaughtered for it. Not saying it's right though.
    Reminds me of the English ref, Jack Taylor who awarded the Netherlands a penalty in the first minute of a World Cup final against Germany. That took some bottle!

There's a story that Taylor was badly cut in the face by a penny thrown from a bank of Luton Town fans at Kenilworth Road. When Eric Morecambe, the comedian and national treasure who also happened to be a Luton director, asked him if he was going to report the incident, the referee said he wasn't, and Morecambe replied: "Good, now can I have my penny back?"

They are a academy team, pay £45 a month to play for them, train twice per week
    Do you have a view on injuries suffered by girls playing football.

I've read that because of physiological differences between the sexes, female players may be more prone to certain injuries. The England womens team being a case in point. In the European Championship finals, they played virtually the same team twice a week - but now half the same team are crocked with serious problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I've read that because of physiological differences between the sexes, female players may be more prone to certain injuries. The England womens team being a case in point. In the European Championship finals, they played virtually the same team twice a week - but now half the same team are crocked with serious problems.
    A couple of years ago I did some work in sports medicine

non-contact ACL injuries are 5 or 6 times more likely in female athletes than in male - but it isn't fully understood why yet.

One theory is at certain times in the menstrual cycle the woman's joints become more flexible/less stable due to increased oestrogen- but there needs to be more research into it really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I honestly dont know, way above my pay grade, I just attempt to coach the how to play the game

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A couple of years ago I did some work in sports medicine

non-contact ACL injuries are 5 or 6 times more likely in female athletes than in male - but it isn't fully understood why yet.

One theory is at certain times in the menstrual cycle the woman's joints become more flexible/less stable due to increased oestrogen- but there needs to be more research into it really.
    I wonder if its also partly due to its a massively common netball injury, girls play lots of netball, I know Bath Uni are doing research on it