+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Growth of Google

The Growth of Google

Just watched this video by Data is Beautiful.
    I love there videos.

This one shows the most popular websites changing on a monthly basis since 1995 to 2023.

It’s wild to see Google’s emergence and growth.

Great video though if this kind of thing appeals to you.

https://youtu.be/Ko8Pz4Y-tYo

Re: The Growth of Google

Not bothered about this being pushed to the alternative forum…just wondering why when an argument about what is a shoegaze band and the discussion about Philip Schofield is on the regular forum?

It’s hardly controversial.

It is cool to see more football talk on the main forum…just wondering if the main forum will be football only soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Not bothered about this being pushed to the alternative forum…just wondering why when an argument about what is a shoegaze band and the discussion about Philip Schofield is on the regular forum?

It’s hardly controversial.

It is cool to see more football talk on the main forum…just wondering if the main forum will be football only soon?
    Tell me about it , it's killing everything

Google , Amazon , Apple , absolute megalodons

I heard a really interesting discussion on an economics podcast with Mariana Mazzucato asking why there are no European Googles? i.e. no massive companies in this kind of tech space?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I heard a really interesting discussion on an economics podcast with Mariana Mazzucato asking why there are no European Googles? i.e. no massive companies in this kind of tech space?
    There is appearances from Yandex (Russia) and Baidu (China)
    Possibly a language thing?

From memory I think it had to do with the role of the state - lots of these big american companies received a LOT of state investment , whereas there isn't really the same thing happening in Europe, so anyone doing anything innovative in europe usually ends up getting bought up pretty quickly by a big american firm . Some chinese tech firms are absolutely massive, but as soon as they get too powerful the chinese government knocks them down a peg or two

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    From memory I think it had to do with the role of the state - lots of these big american companies received a LOT of state investment , whereas there isn't really the same thing happening in Europe, so anyone doing anything innovative in europe usually ends up getting bought up pretty quickly by a big american firm . Some chinese tech firms are absolutely massive, but as soon as they get too powerful the chinese government knocks them down a peg or two
    State propaganda and censorship is big business. Just look at the Russia collusion hoax and Hunter's laptop, it was the same group of people on here who were spreading the same coverup narratives, so it obviously works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    State propaganda and censorship is big business. Just look at the Russia collusion hoax and Hunter's laptop, it was the same group of people on here who were spreading the same coverup narratives, so it obviously works.
    FFS give it a rest Mun.

I happen to agree with you on the laptop thing…have stated it on here before, but surely we can have a discussion that doesn’t go down the rabbit hole?

FFS give it a rest Mun.

I happen to agree with you on the laptop thing…have stated it on here before, but surely we can have a discussion that doesn’t go down the rabbit hole?
    Just keeping it factual, and hopefully some people will come to realize that they have been taken for a ride, which would benefit us all in the long run.

There's quite a few worrying developments at the moment that I think in due course will curtail our freedom's, weaken our creativity and damage the most vulnerable most. Chief among them is the march to a cashless society, which is an unfathomably regressive concept. The whole idea of giving away so much data to organisations like Google too, esp with AI. I mean what do we gain?

Will any of it make any of us happier?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There's quite a few worrying developments at the moment that I think in due course will curtail our freedom's, weaken our creativity and damage the most vulnerable most. Chief among them is the march to a cashless society, which is an unfathomably regressive concept. The whole idea of giving away so much data to organisations like Google too, esp with AI. I mean what do we gain?

Will any of it make any of us happier?
    These were all conspiracy theories just a short while ago.

Just keeping it factual, and hopefully some people will come to realize that they have been taken for a ride, which would benefit us all in the long run.
    Factual ? The laptop, fair enough it would appear, but the Mueller report was hardly the complete exoneration you’ve spent years telling us it was.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Mueller report was hardly the complete exoneration you’ve spent years telling us it was.
    Ah, the old coverup of the coverup. Since you are in a humorous mood, you might enjoy this little video as the west rapidly moves towards authoritarianism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecnSHmznic

Ah, the old coverup of the coverup. Since you are in a humorous mood, you might enjoy this little video as the west rapidly moves towards authoritarianism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecnSHmznic
    The juicemedia video is as punchy, satirical and right-minded as ever.

But it adds nothing to your 7 year campaign of Trump cheerleading or your persistent orange washing of the Putin-Trump love-in. As we have discussed to death on here before, Mueller did not find sufficient evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Putin's Russia ('collusion' is a legal and technical term in this context) to justify a federal prosecution.

But the enquiry produced plenty of evidence (supported from other sources) of direct and indirect contact to explore ways of aiding the other party, shared geo-political objectives, systematic interventions by Putin-allied St Petersburg troll factories to influence the election for Trump.

So you keep on peddling the hoax of the hoax and denying the truth of the Putin-Trump relationship - a truth that has continued though to Trump's position on the Ukraine war - it is tedious and dishonest.

trump putin 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    But it adds nothing to your 7 year campaign of Trump cheerleading or your persistent orange washing of the Putin-Trump love-in. As we have discussed to death on here before, Mueller did not find sufficient evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Putin's Russia ('collusion' is a legal and technical term in this context) to justify a federal prosecution.

But the enquiry produced plenty of evidence (supported from other sources) of direct and indirect contact to explore ways of aiding the other party, shared geo-political objectives, systematic interventions by Putin-allied St Petersburg troll factories to influence the election for Trump.
    According to Durham, Mueller knew the predicate for Russia collusion was made up, so what was he doing during those two years?

There is appearances from Yandex (Russia) and Baidu (China)
    Possibly a language thing?
    Yandex/Yango is also involved in 'Uber-like' taxi services in Central Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yandex/Yango is also involved in 'Uber-like' taxi services in Central Asia.
    Just had a bit of a read about it.
    Dutch registered arm of Yandex (wonder how this circumvents sanctions).

Seems as though Yango operates in Africa, South America and Scandinavia as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yango_(ride_sharing)