+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malky Mackay

Re: Malky Mackay

Partick, in the play-offs, had to play Queen's Park twice, Ayr twice and finally Ross County - from the division above - twice. Another one to file under ridiculous lengths you have to go to to get promoted.

I'm always surprised how few countries fail to copy the football leagues form of play offs, which are pretty much the most popular, and fairest way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm always surprised how few countries fail to copy the football leagues form of play offs, which are pretty much the most popular, and fairest way to do it.
    I’d like to see it go back to the system they had when Play Offs were first introduced - it was like the Scottish system to the extent that one of the four teams would be trying to keep their place in the division the other three were trying to go up into.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d like to see it go back to the system they had when Play Offs were first introduced - it was like the Scottish system to the extent that one of the four teams would be trying to keep their place in the division the other three were trying to go up into.
    I wouldnt. PL team with their 50 k a week wages given one last chance against a Championship side.

I think that does bring something else to it, but I don't think it trumps the current system. The final wouldn't be the same, and the celebrations to stay up wouldn't compare I don't think.

There's not enough teams in each of the Scottish leagues to warrant 2 going straight down. I like that the team bottom but one has a chance of staying up. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    There's not enough teams in each of the Scottish leagues to warrant 2 going straight down. I like that the team bottom but one has a chance of staying up. It works well.
    Yeah I mean it's been exciting. I follow the Scottish leagues though and it does seem harsh on Queens Park and the season before Arbroath. There's such a build up and then the team from the Premiership ends up staying up anyway. I dunno, it's a little anticlimactic for me.

I think 2 up and 2 down is okay tbh for a league of 12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah I mean it's been exciting. I follow the Scottish leagues though and it does seem harsh on Queens Park and the season before Arbroath. There's such a build up and then the team from the Premiership ends up staying up anyway. I dunno, it's a little anticlimactic for me.

I think 2 up and 2 down is okay tbh for a league of 12
    Doesn't the system they have give teams something to play for right up until the last game?

Queens Park (I've watched them in the past) lead the league for most the season and still finished 3rd. Lower teams like Partick and Ayr were nowhere near them last Christmas but stuck it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Doesn't the system they have give teams something to play for right up until the last game?

Queens Park (I've watched them in the past) lead the league for most the season and still finished 3rd. Lower teams like Partick and Ayr were nowhere near them last Christmas but stuck it out.
    Yeah it does. I just think it would be better as a promotion play-off, as opposed to a promotion/relegation one.

Like I said, given how successful the football league version is, I'm surprised it's not replicated elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I wouldnt. PL team with their 50 k a week wages given one last chance against a Championship side.
    There was no.such thing as the Premier League at the time and the two leg Final would ensure that the better team w@s more likely to win. Two of the three Premier League sides that were relegated in 21/22 turned out to be ordinary Championship sides in a season where many thought the division was as weak as it’s been in years - the same applies to West Brom.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Partick, in the play-offs, had to play Queen's Park twice, Ayr twice and finally Ross County - from the division above - twice. Another one to file under ridiculous lengths you have to go to to get promoted.
    That's harsh they obviously don't want even smaller teams going up.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yes get lost, unless we ever get there again that is!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    That's harsh they obviously don't want even smaller teams going up.
    I don't know why it is, but in a league that is fairly predictable generally, I think the likes of Queens Park or Arbroath would have added something and created some interested.

I guess they think they wouldnt get a huge crowd at Hampden for a play off final (and they are right) but it could still be two-legged and not involve the team in 11th in the Premiership.

Most European leagues that have play offs do do it this way mind. I guess it went to a vote and needed to do it as such to get the top flight teams to agree to it?

There was no.such thing as the Premier League at the time and the two leg Final would ensure that the better team w@s more likely to win. Two of the three Premier League sides that were relegated in 21/22 turned out to be ordinary Championship sides in a season where many thought the division was as weak as it’s been in years - the same applies to West Brom.
    I think there's a bit of a difference nowadays, though. Teams that come down lose more of their top players than they used to, while teams going up have to strengthen quite a bit more than they used to.

Leicester finished 18th. A 2 leg playoff between them and Luton would hardly be a contest. It could be that, by the end of next season, Luton remain a division higher than Leicester, but that'll be much more down to transfers during the season that it would be of how both sides were at the end of last season.

we all know that the Belgian playoff system is the pinnacle of human endeavour.

The Nation League play-offs would be my preffered option. They actually give more of an advantage to teams finishing higher in the table.

So nobody knows what happened to Blue jags? Decent poster back in the day.
    Another one who probably just wandered away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we all know that the Belgian playoff system is the pinnacle of human endeavour.
    Brilliant end to the season yesterday, with the mighty Royal Antwerp winning the league for the first time in decades with a 94th minute screamer away to Genk (and thus denying them the league).

Probably Europe's most open league