+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ramsey coming back?

Re: Ramsey coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ramsey is one of the greatest ex-City players of all time. Even the short term loan 12 seasons ago he looked class. He's been incredible for Wales.

He's still an international quality player but I'm not sure I'd want him here. The sight of a frustrated Rambo playing in a shit side as we battle against relegation doesn't inspire me. Would he make much of a difference with the crap around him?
    He's a very bright bloke. He would know what he was getting himself into. His influence over Colwill would be huge and could be the making of the latter. The cost of Ramsay could be more than compensated for in the increase value in Colwill.

Part of our financial problem over the last 5 years has been the lack of value in our own squad. We have spent money very badly. Our transfer policy has been the opposite of 'moneyball'. Clearly, I'm not saying Ramsay is a moneyball signing.

Etete and Tanner are the only moneyball signings we have made (I have high hopes for Etete). Even an average season for us could see the values of Etete, Colwill and Davies rocket. Despite Warnocks success, his signings in terms of 'investment' were poor.

I agree that Ramsey is far from thick, so his decision to play on for Wales, when three out of our "golden generation" decided to call it a day after the World Cup suggests he still seriously believes he can make a contribution (I'd like to have seen a bit more evidence of it in the Croatia and Latvia matches mind). He'd need to be looked after in such a relentless league as well, but you'd like to think that Ramsey would have something still in him to turn so many of those home defeats and draws over the past three seasons into something more positive.

The notion of Ramsey returning to City towards the end of his career always seemed a possibility to me and I'd also say that I could believe that he would be realistic in what he was asking for in terms of pay.

It wouldn't be too huge a surprise if Ramsey was the player we were after, but there is a precedent of sorts which has to be viewed as a failure. Back in the summer of 2011, Earnie signed on for a second spell with us before Malky Mackay was appointed and it soon became pretty clear that the fan's favourite did not feature highly in the new manager's plans. Earnie was signed very much with the thought of how many season tickets he would help sell in mind and, clearly, the club are expecting a bump in sales when the identity of he player in question is known - I wouldn't want to see such a great player as Rambo fade away from the first team picture in the way Earnie did a dozen years ago, but you hope he would still have a bit more left in the tank that Earnie did.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I have an irrational love for the man. I’d take him back with wide open arms even if it’s for 6 sub appearances and 6 months on the injury table.
    It's far from irrational.

I have no idea whether this will happen. These things are often talked about and no doubt it's an option for him, and probably an attractive one for his family. There is also a good 'project' for him here, to turn the club around, get some training experience, be an off field mentor, maybe start some media work etc.

But is it the right time? I dunno. No doubt he could walk into any MLS team too, so there must be a lot of temptation elsewhere

International

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    My guess is that Ramsey would be lucky to play ten games in a season. But would that excite the fans and encourage people to buy season tickets? Of course. Ramsey is one of the only former Cardiff City players to be really successful and we virtually gave him away to Arsenal. Toshack is the only other player I can think of that we have produced which is pretty shocking really but I can't see any way Ramsey would sign for us as he could still command wages well above that which the club would be prepared to pay. In short I agree with the previous poster.
    Agreed he could get more money, and he wouldn't play enough games, nice to have a good rumour for a change.

If he had gone to ManU instead of Arsenal he would have had an even better career, he would have broken in I think, and learned a lot more quickly they were top players at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agreed he could get more money, and he wouldn't play enough games, nice to have a good rumour for a change.

If he had gone to ManU instead of Arsenal he would have had an even better career, he would have broken in I think, and learned a lot more quickly they were top players at the time.
    He possibly wouldn't have broken his leg and certainly wouldn't havr been handled so poorly by the medical team at United, that's what held his career back. Imagine a Wales team with Bale and a Ramsey who had reached his full potential...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree that Ramsey is far from thick, so his decision to play on for Wales, when three out of our "golden generation" decided to call it a day after the World Cup suggests he still seriously believes he can make a contribution (I'd like to have seen a bit more evidence of it in the Croatia and Latvia matches mind). He'd need to be looked after in such a relentless league as well, but you'd like to think that Ramsey would have something still in him to turn so many of those home defeats and draws over the past three seasons into something more positive.

The notion of Ramsey returning to City towards the end of his career always seemed a possibility to me and I'd also say that I could believe that he would be realistic in what he was asking for in terms of pay.

It wouldn't be too huge a surprise if Ramsey was the player we were after, but there is a precedent of sorts which has to be viewed as a failure. Back in the summer of 2011, Earnie signed on for a second spell with us before Malky Mackay was appointed and it soon became pretty clear that the fan's favourite did not feature highly in the new manager's plans. Earnie was signed very much with the thought of how many season tickets he would help sell in mind and, clearly, the club are expecting a bump in sales when the identity of he player in question is known - I wouldn't want to see such a great player as Rambo fade away from the first team picture in the way Earnie did a dozen years ago, but you hope he would still have a bit more left in the tank that Earnie did.
    Ramsey is on a completely different level to Earnie

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ramsey is on a completely different level to Earnie
    Agreed. Ramsey has been a regular for Nice under Digard, he's played a lot of football for a good Ligue 1 club. He'll have to change his game, if (and that's a big if!) he comes here, he'd have to play in the deeper 2 but that would be good for Wales, too.

It’s been such a privilege to watch him play over the years.
    It would be fitting to go full circle and finish at City.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Who on earth is there of Rambo’s calibre that would actually sign for Cardiff? Ramsey at least has a connection to the club
    I dunno really......just someone with a bit a of a name .Former premier league maybe.Recognised internationals. Redmond, Simone Zaza, James Rodriguez (:$) . I'm guessing some or all of these might be non-starters, but ye, I think it might take the type of window that we had when MM took us up. Two or three marquee signings and then half a dozen very solid signings. Then we might fill the stadium week in week out - ish.

I still don't think we'd necessarily get into the play offs, which is probably what they are targeting, but we'd probably fill the stadium against Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, Swansea, Bristol , Norwich .....

Let’s hope it happens….he’s hardly old and I’m sure he will be very happy playing back at “home” with his family all here, makes a huge difference and no doubt will be a factor in his performances…..

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I dunno really......just someone with a bit a of a name .Former premier league maybe.Recognised internationals. Redmond, Simone Zaza, James Rodriguez (:$) . I'm guessing some or all of these might be non-starters, but ye, I think it might take the type of window that we had when MM took us up. Two or three marquee signings and then half a dozen very solid signings. Then we might fill the stadium week in week out - ish.

I still don't think we'd necessarily get into the play offs, which is probably what they are targeting, but we'd probably fill the stadium against Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, Swansea, Bristol , Norwich .....
    If we signed James Rodriguez and Aaron Ramsey in one window I'm asking the club for money off my Season Ticket. Why pay for the whole seat when I only need the edge of it

He got his fitness up and played quite a few consecutive games the second half of this season.

He'll slot in lovely behind Ozil or James Rodrigues

If we're lucky, we might get ten games out of him.

International

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If we're lucky, we might get ten games out of him.
    10 more than poor old Adams who has had such a strenuous season, apparently having a massage and scan is much harder than running around playing professional football Never mind a few month's holiday now to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    10 more than poor old Adams who has had such a strenuous season, apparently having a massage and scan is much harder than running around playing professional football Never mind a few month's holiday now to get over it.
    What’s your issue here? He had a terrible injury preseason and then was unlucky to pick up another. Do you think he wanted either to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    What’s your issue here? He had a terrible injury preseason and then was unlucky to pick up another. Do you think he wanted either to happen?
    https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...you-can-get-it

This gives you insight to the guy. Spent a few pages calling Adams a well paid slacker then a couple more saying he was a master-fisherman hooking all and sundry. Probably thinks you are fresh meat!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

This gives you insight to the guy. Spent a few pages calling Adams a well paid slacker then a couple more saying he was a master-fisherman hooking all and sundry. Probably thinks you are fresh meat!
    I saw previous posts but don’t pay much attention to who posts what. All a bit silly really. Thank you for clarifying though

I think I’ve worked out who the mystery star signing is: a player who is out of contract this summer, who has German and Turkish links and whose signing will sell more season tickets - it’s Ilkay Gundogan!

It's more likely tarki micallef

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think I’ve worked out who the mystery star signing is: a player who is out of contract this summer, who has German and Turkish links and whose signing will sell more season tickets - it’s Ilkay Gundogan!
    Tbf I wouldn’t be too upset with a midfield 3 of Gundogan, Ozil, Ramsey with James Rodriguez coming off the bench.

Let’s be honest it isn’t happening

Signing Aaron Ramsey on loan from Villa is arguably a more realistic possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Signing Aaron Ramsey on loan from Villa is arguably a more realistic possibility.
    Signing July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Fresh fish surely?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    He's probably only got 15-20 games in him but, realistically, there's not a single team in the Championship that would say no to having him.

We're also shopping in a pretty limited market of frees and loans.

Id rather a half fit Ramsey than ****ing Sheyi Ojo every week.
    This, I think this would be a real statement of intent if it came off
    Ramsey playing home games only for 60 -70 minutes would be enough for me

Absolute 100 percent quality