Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I hate punching down. I'm really just saying that a dramatic increase in people being off work is not a good thing for anyone, and whomever is the government cannot ignore it and needs to look into the reasons etc. I was trying to point that out by saying the current oppositions wording on it all is pretty similar.

I blame Covid. Obviously. Was obvious the longer lockdowns and the rest of it went on, then the more society and it's norms and expectations would change.

I've known far more people off work with what essentially are mental health issues since covid than before.
I'd imagine covid had a part to play but I think in time we will look back and attribute much of the rise in mental health problems to the increasing creep of big tech and the acutely designed addictiveness of smart phones, social media and really any app created for mobile. Can anyone pinpoint a time in history where there was a more drastic change in the way a large proportion of people live their lives? Short of a world war, I can't think of one.