+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rishi Sunak has his pledges...

Re: Rishi Sunak has his pledges...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'd imagine covid had a part to play but I think in time we will look back and attribute much of the rise in mental health problems to the increasing creep of big tech and the acutely designed addictiveness of smart phones, social media and really any app created for mobile. Can anyone pinpoint a time in history where there was a more drastic change in the way a large proportion of people live their lives? Short of a world war, I can't think of one.
    Good post again Eric. You're on the money again. I'd add that our 'dependency' on internet communication within society will contribute to our ultimate downfall. Switch the power off and I can't even type this. It's so easy to cripple a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Good post again Eric. You're on the money again. I'd add that our 'dependency' on internet communication within society will contribute to our ultimate downfall. Switch the power off and I can't even type this. It's so easy to cripple a society.
    I've just come back from a hospital appointment that didn't happen because the 'system had gone down' across the whole hospital. I spoke to the very nice Doctor who told me there is no point seeing me because any records, and any further referrals etc were online, with no paper back-ups. Just thought it illustrated your point nicely!

It was always the intention.

I entirely agree with you both. I suppose I was specifically referring to COVID as a one off event, but that drift has been clear for years.

It's not just internet connections, it's the corresponding decline in human interactions which impacts our wellbeing, our tolerance and empathy and how we speak to eachother - as illustrated on this site as I don't doubt the conversations would be markedly more polite in person.

It's a serious issue and one which local authorities and the government(s) need to get a handle on, and it drifts into a great number of topics including working from home, cashless societies, being open to learning, experience, sharing ideas, mental stimulation etc and the net result isnt good.

We need human interactions on a regular basis and it is vital for our individual and collective wellbeing. Peter also cites a good example about of being overreliance on digital systems which taken to the extreme is also a national security issue.

I've seen this in public services in the last few years. My child's school doesn't even do proper parents evenings now. It's online. It's awful. Things have got much worse in my opinion and some rowing back is necessary

As always folk turn and spin a message into an tirade of hate .

He is right in what he points out .

GP 's are not the right group to issue sick notes 11 million sick notes is too many. They can detect sickness but not fit to work as that requires a whole raft of other considerations to take place only an employer can answer ,doctors haven't got that intel of job content etc ??..

Of course people with minor anxieties or slight disabilities would be better served and have a better healthy work life balance ( that pure common sense ) sitting at home thinking I am unwell is a dangerous thing for those with anxiety , exercising the mind in a work environment around people is the best for them in a work where they have contact and a social interface . Also not exercising say a strain back or leg is also not healthy either , light duties in work is the answer.

Anyways over to you Sir Kier & two home Ange .. ( remember two jag John )

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

GP 's are not the right group to issue sick notes 11 million sick notes is too many. They can detect sickness but not fit to work as that requires a whole raft of other considerations to take place only an employer can answer ,doctors haven't got that intel of job content etc ??..

Of course people with minor anxieties or slight disabilities would be better served and have a better healthy work life balance ( that pure common sense ) sitting at home thinking I am unwell is a dangerous thing for those with anxiety , exercising the mind in a work environment around people is the best for them in a work where they have contact and a social interface . Also not exercising say a strain back or leg is also not healthy either , light duties in work is the answer.

So a doctor should not say if a person is unwell,go to a non qualified person instead could not make it up.
    Oh hang on clueless Sunak has.

Politicians will suggest examining the entrails of a recently sacrificed, small, fluffy animal if they thought it would get them votes. When medical doctors are no longer able to say whether someone is mentally fit for work then you know we're on the set of Terry Gilliam film.

Edit: and what you've written about anxiety and other mental health issues is dangerous, unqualified and judgemental.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I entirely agree with you both. I suppose I was specifically referring to COVID as a one off event, but that drift has been clear for years.

It's not just internet connections, it's the corresponding decline in human interactions which impacts our wellbeing, our tolerance and empathy and how we speak to eachother - as illustrated on this site as I don't doubt the conversations would be markedly more polite in person.

It's a serious issue and one which local authorities and the government(s) need to get a handle on, and it drifts into a great number of topics including working from home, cashless societies, being open to learning, experience, sharing ideas, mental stimulation etc and the net result isnt good.

We need human interactions on a regular basis and it is vital for our individual and collective wellbeing. Peter also cites a good example about of being overreliance on digital systems which taken to the extreme is also a national security issue.

I've seen this in public services in the last few years. My child's school doesn't even do proper parents evenings now. It's online. It's awful. Things have got much worse in my opinion and some rowing back is necessary
    To expand on Peter's experience, I had something very similar happen to me. It was only the retrieval of paper notes/scans/results that saved me having to endure 90 mins of brain MRI and was reduced to 45. This happens all the time. Mrs C has just had to pay £40 for her printed medical history. There is no digital file to transfer. The IT system is too fragmented and isn't joined up.

This isn't down to any political party either. It's been a problem that's been building for decades. The worst people in the world to decide on IT contracts are politicians (this was shown during COVID) and they are certainly unable to cost or project manage efficiently.

I know I've just gone off on a tangent but it's all connected. In other words, it's as scary as f*ck just how precarious our society is and our dependence upon digital, electronic systems with no backup systems is madness. All anyone has to do is imagine the destruction of internet servers or major power outage and we're in a dystopian society as a result.

GPs should not be responsible for issuing sick notes. Employers should. BINGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've just come back from a hospital appointment that didn't happen because the 'system had gone down' across the whole hospital. I spoke to the very nice Doctor who told me there is no point seeing me because any records, and any further referrals etc were online, with no paper back-ups. Just thought it illustrated your point nicely!
    Yup. Been on the receiving end of this too Peter. Power cuts also require medical instruments to be re-calibrated. That's another one. The incorrect algorithms relating to pharmacology in systems rejects life-saving/changing medications and the Dr can't override them. There's a long list. And don't get me started on telephone consultations. Not 'seeing' a patient but diagnosing over the phone is going to result in serious misdiagnoses. The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    GPs should not be responsible for issuing sick notes. Employers should. BINGO!
    “If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Brain tumours can cause:
    • Aggression
    • Anxiety
    • Apathy
    • Confusion
    • Depression
    • Forgetfulness
    • Irritability

....call 999 and ask for Human Resources!

(source:
    https://www.moffitt.org/cancers/brai...nality,Anxiety)