+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rishi Sunak has his pledges...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Rishi Sunak has his pledges...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I hate punching down. I'm really just saying that a dramatic increase in people being off work is not a good thing for anyone, and whomever is the government cannot ignore it and needs to look into the reasons etc. I was trying to point that out by saying the current oppositions wording on it all is pretty similar.

I blame Covid. Obviously. Was obvious the longer lockdowns and the rest of it went on, then the more society and it's norms and expectations would change.

I've known far more people off work with what essentially are mental health issues since covid than before.
    I'd imagine covid had a part to play but I think in time we will look back and attribute much of the rise in mental health problems to the increasing creep of big tech and the acutely designed addictiveness of smart phones, social media and really any app created for mobile. Can anyone pinpoint a time in history where there was a more drastic change in the way a large proportion of people live their lives? Short of a world war, I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I'd imagine covid had a part to play but I think in time we will look back and attribute much of the rise in mental health problems to the increasing creep of big tech and the acutely designed addictiveness of smart phones, social media and really any app created for mobile. Can anyone pinpoint a time in history where there was a more drastic change in the way a large proportion of people live their lives? Short of a world war, I can't think of one.
    Good post again Eric. You're on the money again. I'd add that our 'dependency' on internet communication within society will contribute to our ultimate downfall. Switch the power off and I can't even type this. It's so easy to cripple a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Good post again Eric. You're on the money again. I'd add that our 'dependency' on internet communication within society will contribute to our ultimate downfall. Switch the power off and I can't even type this. It's so easy to cripple a society.
    I've just come back from a hospital appointment that didn't happen because the 'system had gone down' across the whole hospital. I spoke to the very nice Doctor who told me there is no point seeing me because any records, and any further referrals etc were online, with no paper back-ups. Just thought it illustrated your point nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I've just come back from a hospital appointment that didn't happen because the 'system had gone down' across the whole hospital. I spoke to the very nice Doctor who told me there is no point seeing me because any records, and any further referrals etc were online, with no paper back-ups. Just thought it illustrated your point nicely!
    Yup. Been on the receiving end of this too Peter. Power cuts also require medical instruments to be re-calibrated. That's another one. The incorrect algorithms relating to pharmacology in systems rejects life-saving/changing medications and the Dr can't override them. There's a long list. And don't get me started on telephone consultations. Not 'seeing' a patient but diagnosing over the phone is going to result in serious misdiagnoses. The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It was always the intention.