Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
The trouble is Sludge, would you still have the same opinion of Bob Monkhouse if he wasn't a tory? I used to hate him when I was younger because I thought he was just an oily, slick quiz show presenter, but when I dug a little deeper, I found that, despite his presentation being a bit too polished for me, he was a genuinely funny man.

Comedy, like music, is either good or bad and which side of the line it falls into is very much in the eye of the beholder. Allo Allo has been mentioned on here, but I thought it was rubbish because I was old enough to remember Dads Army which was very similar in format and concept, but I thought it was far better acted and fresher.

Acts like Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnies and Tommy Cooper (the only comedian I've seen who would have me cracking up even before he said a word) would have to be a bit more "edgy" if they were around these days, but they would have been successes because, when all's said and done, they were funny. Similarly, it appears that, thankfully, the sort of Terry and June family based type situation comedies are a thing of the past.
it is interesting how some comedy ages better than others though.
Tommy Cooper was one I never found remotely funny, painfully unfunny- you couldn't have paid me to watch him when I was a teenager, yet I really liked the earlier work of someone like Harry Hill who I can imagine being just as unfunny to someone else if they weren't feeling it.