Les Dawson .....bit dated but a talented guy

Dick Emery .....cross dressing superstar

One Foot In The Grave ......absolute crap

Rising Damp ......Great comedy actors , superb scripts

Only Fools And Horses .....never thought much of that

Keeping Up Appearances .....shoot anyone involved in that nonsense

Bread ......unfunny scouse cobblers

Porridge ......top stuff

Two Ronnie's........could drag on but had their moments , mastermind and hardware shop being the best

Man About The House ......rubbish but Paula Wilcox was worth watching
    No Citizen Smith Sludge?

"Power to the people!"

Would've thought right up your alley.

Agree with the rest of you list.

Re: Old School Comedy Yes Or No

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho, a comic genius. Catch him on YouTube hosting ‘What’s My Line’, absolutely outstanding comedy.
    Totally agree, one of the all time comic greats.

Dear John's a good shout. Rachel Bell's line "were there any sexual problems" always got a laugh. "it ain't half hot mum" was great but not PC to show these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Allo Allo ?

Sort yourself out
    The early series of Allo Allo were brilliant. Lost its way a touch at the end.

To be honest Sludgey, your opinions on music are very suspect to say the least.
    When it comes to comedy, your opinions carry even less weight.
    You are better off slagging TLG, and supporting the meek.

I like slapstick, farce, nothing that pretends to be too clever or is just way over the top.

I'm a big fan of One Foot in the Grave, ever since it first came out. I think David Renwick is a terrific writer - Jonathan Creek was great. He sets up strands of storylines, and no matter how implausible, they all come together. Victor is a great character and we've all felt a bit like him at some point. There are also those poignent moments, like Fools and Horses, that connect.

Me and my boy have been watching a lot of Brittas over the last year. Great stuff. He's now into Fools and Horses as well.

I'm a fan of Goodnight Sweetheart - harmless comedy that provides a bit of escapism.

Benidorm was great until the last few series. One line from the first series always has me in stitches - "You gays have got it right, there's nothing more a wife can do to her husband to show him that she loves him by letting him park his car round the back". There was nothing "double" about many of the entendres.

Quite liked Royle family. Not been much of a fan of Rik Mayall's comedies, but he was great in Blackadder.

I also love the Vicar of Dibley.

Just finished watching a show about Les Dawson-gave me the giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The early series of Allo Allo were brilliant. Lost its way a touch at the end.
    Absolutely. Probably from series 6 onwards. But it was utter slapstick, a policeman who could use his misuse of vowels to say naughty words, one of the ugliest cafe owners who had all this totty after him, really well written stuff.

Red Dwarf I would suggest is modern , alternative and bizarre in parts

Too zany to be considered old school

Jimmy Tarbuck ......absolutely talentless .....that's the angle
    It’s over 30 years old!

If it’s old school you want….one of the first great comics to be “cancelled”

https://youtu.be/i3dseRsJnWo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I like slapstick, farce, nothing that pretends to be too clever or is just way over the top.

I'm a big fan of One Foot in the Grave, ever since it first came out. I think David Renwick is a terrific writer - Jonathan Creek was great. He sets up strands of storylines, and no matter how implausible, they all come together. Victor is a great character and we've all felt a bit like him at some point. There are also those poignent moments, like Fools and Horses, that connect.

Me and my boy have been watching a lot of Brittas over the last year. Great stuff. He's now into Fools and Horses as well.

I'm a fan of Goodnight Sweetheart - harmless comedy that provides a bit of escapism.

Benidorm was great until the last few series. One line from the first series always has me in stitches - "You gays have got it right, there's nothing more a wife can do to her husband to show him that she loves him by letting him park his car round the back". There was nothing "double" about many of the entendres.

Quite liked Royle family. Not been much of a fan of Rik Mayall's comedies, but he was great in Blackadder.

I also love the Vicar of Dibley.
    Couple of good shouts there with Brittas and Goodnight Sweetheart. Both great comedies. Further to earlier posts, Red Dwarf is up there with the very best. Kryton is one of my favourite characters of all time (spare head 1).

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No Citizen Smith Sludge?

"Power to the people!"

Would've thought right up your alley.

Agree with the rest of you list.
    One trick pony

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho, a comic genius. Catch him on YouTube hosting ‘What’s My Line’, absolutely outstanding comedy.
    Genius comedy, WC Fields wasn't bad either, my little Chickadee.

Reggie Perrin should get a mention, as should Till Death.

Absolutely. Probably from series 6 onwards. But it was utter slapstick, a policeman who could use his misuse of vowels to say naughty words, one of the ugliest cafe owners who had all this totty after him, really well written stuff.
    It was utter bollocks

Repetitive

Canned laughter

I will say this only once .....no you won't, its your only line

Bin it

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It’s over 30 years old!

If it’s old school you want….one of the first great comics to be “cancelled”

https://youtu.be/i3dseRsJnWo
    The cut off point is about 1980

Citizen Khan is fairly recent but so utterly shite that its in the cesspit of comedy death

Monty Python ......public school nonsense on the whole

Bob Monkhouse .......naff off and pack your bags

Bob Monkhouse .......naff off and pack your bags
    Good writer though, as was Barry Cryer

It was utter bollocks

Repetitive

Canned laughter

I will say this only once .....no you won't, its your only line

Bin it
    Most of it was filmed in front of a live audience, so hardly canned laughter. Repetitive, yes, but never dull because of it until the last few series. Lots of sitcoms rely on a certain amount of repetition.

Take one moment where Herr Flick and Von Smallhousen are climbing up the stairs of the chateau disguised as German officers, when Herr Flick tells the pyjama wearing General Von Klinkerhoffen to stand aside for Field Marshall Von Crackenfart. You either find that funny or you don't. The difference is that anything you find funny but I don't I'm not going to call bollocks. You're quick to put down others for liking things but very defensive when the opposite happens.

One of Monkhouse's greatest gags and perfect in every way was when he said "People used to laugh when I said I wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now".

Most of it was filmed in front of a live audience, so hardly canned laughter. Repetitive, yes, but never dull because of it until the last few series. Lots of sitcoms rely on a certain amount of repetition.

Take one moment where Herr Flick and Von Smallhousen are climbing up the stairs of the chateau disguised as German officers, when Herr Flick tells the pyjama wearing General Von Klinkerhoffen to stand aside for Field Marshall Von Crackenfart. You either find that funny or you don't. The difference is that anything you find funny but I don't I'm not going to call bollocks. You're quick to put down others for liking things but very defensive when the opposite happens.
    Shut it

It's butlins standard comedy

The Two Ronnie's were very talented comedy actors

It's a bit dated

Allo Allo was dreadful

One of Monkhouse's greatest gags and perfect in every way was when he said "People used to laugh when I said I wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now".
    He was creepy

And a huge tory boy

Shut it

It's butlins standard comedy

The Two Ronnie's were very talented comedy actors

It's a bit dated

Allo Allo was dreadful
    So what do you find far better comedy than "Butlins standard"? Spit it out.

He should have kept away from performing and concentrated on writing

More oiley than a upvc windows salesman

He was creepy

And a huge tory boy
    You can't judge a joke on merit, can you?