+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old School Comedy Yes Or No

Re: Old School Comedy Yes Or No

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So what do you find far better comedy than "Butlins standard"? Spit it out.
    Well read through the thread and you will get an idea

It doesn't include allo allo , one foot in the grave , duty free and all that nonsense

You can't judge a joke on merit, can you?
    Oh I can

I happen to think monkhouse wasn't funny and a tory

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh I can

Fair enough.

Any chance of you supplying some threads where you say what you like? Not having a go, but this is another one where you tell us all what you think is shit.

One of Monkhouse's greatest gags and perfect in every way was when he said "People used to laugh when I said I wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now".
    I saw posted a scan of monkhouses famous notebooks a couple of years ago - one of which was famously stolen at one point.

they were absolutely remarkable, works of art

Fair enough.

Any chance of you supplying some threads where you say what you like? Not having a go, but this is another one where you tell us all what you think is shit.
    I have listed during this thread lots of seventies and eighties , old school comedy that is good

Rising Damp

Porridge

Two Ronnie's

Dick Emery

It's safe to say I am more at home with alternative stuff of recent times but I can dip into the past masters

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I saw posted a scan of monkhouses famous notebooks a couple of years ago - one of which was famously stolen at one point.

they were absolutely remarkable, works of art
    The key here is

Is he delivering it ?

If yes then I am pressing exit

One of Monkhouse's greatest gags and perfect in every way was when he said "People used to laugh when I said I wanted to be a comedian. They're not laughing now".
    Another great gag of his was him wanting only a third of a Mars bar, so he could just rest.

If we’re talking about comedians?

Dave Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    If we’re talking about comedians?

Dave Allen.
    One of the best

From the dark ages but not stuck in them

His piss taking of his own Catholic up bringing had my old dear , a devout Catholic of Irish origin , in stitches

Steptoe and Son

My original post was a piss take but some of these answers remind me of spending time with my grandfather when I was a kid

Even something like last of the summer wine has a nostalgic feel whether the content was actually clever or not

Yes, clever line from Monk house and which I remember myself. However, he always came over as oleaginous and with a fake persona to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh I can

The trouble is Sludge, would you still have the same opinion of Bob Monkhouse if he wasn't a tory? I used to hate him when I was younger because I thought he was just an oily, slick quiz show presenter, but when I dug a little deeper, I found that, despite his presentation being a bit too polished for me, he was a genuinely funny man.

Comedy, like music, is either good or bad and which side of the line it falls into is very much in the eye of the beholder. Allo Allo has been mentioned on here, but I thought it was rubbish because I was old enough to remember Dads Army which was very similar in format and concept, but I thought it was far better acted and fresher.

Acts like Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnies and Tommy Cooper (the only comedian I've seen who would have me cracking up even before he said a word) would have to be a bit more "edgy" if they were around these days, but they would have been successes because, when all's said and done, they were funny. Similarly, it appears that, thankfully, the sort of Terry and June family based type situation comedies are a thing of the past.

Not really old school, but "Big Train"
    Almost as good as Python.

How long ago does it need to be to be considered old school?

Phoenix Nights is over 20 years old and creases me every time I put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Peep show 20 years old too.
    Clever and very funny.

Its difficult to say without going back and watching them. I remember loving Allo Allo as a kid but its probably horrifically dated now.

Of the ones I have watched of late, Only Fools (especially the early ones), Porridge, The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Yes Minister are all superb.

Brass Eye is 25 now so not sure if that counts, still the best comedy ever shown on TV IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Its difficult to say without going back and watching them. I remember loving Allo Allo as a kid but its probably horrifically dated now.

Of the ones I have watched of late, Only Fools (especially the early ones), Porridge, The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Yes Minister are all superb.

Brass Eye is 25 now so not sure if that counts, still the best comedy ever shown on TV IMHO.
    We rewatched all of Reggie Perrin and Yes Minister (and Yes Prime Minister) last year.

Yes (Prime) Minister is still brilliant - not just the writing and the acting, but the relevance over 40 years on.

Reggie Perrin was dire. Painful. Re-watching it destroyed all my fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes, clever line from Monk house and which I remember myself. However, he always came over as oleaginous and with a fake persona to me.
    Very fake

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The trouble is Sludge, would you still have the same opinion of Bob Monkhouse if he wasn't a tory? I used to hate him when I was younger because I thought he was just an oily, slick quiz show presenter, but when I dug a little deeper, I found that, despite his presentation being a bit too polished for me, he was a genuinely funny man.

Comedy, like music, is either good or bad and which side of the line it falls into is very much in the eye of the beholder. Allo Allo has been mentioned on here, but I thought it was rubbish because I was old enough to remember Dads Army which was very similar in format and concept, but I thought it was far better acted and fresher.

Acts like Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnies and Tommy Cooper (the only comedian I've seen who would have me cracking up even before he said a word) would have to be a bit more "edgy" if they were around these days, but they would have been successes because, when all's said and done, they were funny. Similarly, it appears that, thankfully, the sort of Terry and June family based type situation comedies are a thing of the past.
    Yes , monkhouse being a tory seal's the deal but even if he wasn't I wouldn't find him funny

My old dear said he was creepy which I think sums him up

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post

Brass Eye .....when he's trying to buy pills off the street dealer and confuses him

Classic

Day To Day and Partridge are off the wall too

Very much modern comedy

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We rewatched all of Reggie Perrin and Yes Minister (and Yes Prime Minister) last year.

Yes (Prime) Minister is still brilliant - not just the writing and the acting, but the relevance over 40 years on.

Reggie Perrin was dire. Painful. Re-watching it destroyed all my fond memories.
    Often give Yes (Prime) Minister a watch - it’s superb and always has been, I’d say it might well be more relevant now than it was in the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Peep show 20 years old too.
    Clever and very funny.
    The difference between peep show and allo allo is the key

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I would say things changed in the early eighties

The fact that one foot in the grave kept going is the key

Phoenix nights is mostly very gentle comedy and quite old school but then throws in a spanner

It's way above the likes of bread , only fools and horses , allo allo

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

it is interesting how some comedy ages better than others though.
    Tommy Cooper was one I never found remotely funny, painfully unfunny- you couldn't have paid me to watch him when I was a teenager, yet I really liked the earlier work of someone like Harry Hill who I can imagine being just as unfunny to someone else if they weren't feeling it.