+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old School Comedy Yes Or No

Re: Old School Comedy Yes Or No

Not comedy, but i was very fond of Bea Smith in Prisoner-Cell block H.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dad's Army -best ever

Hi de Hi and Are You Being Served - had their moments

Allo Allo - excellent, often underrated

Blackadder- can't believe it's 40 years old, but still one of the best.
    Somebody suggested to me 'Vlad's Army,' a sitcom about Putin's incompetent assault on Ukraine. Maybe. But that story is not yet over.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Been watching on the buses recently.
    I used to love that show. But my god it's so dated and so poor
    It's dreary and depressing, with all those people squeezed into a little house, and Stan's romantic aspirations constantly foiled by a total lack of privacy. It's also worth remembering that Reg Varney was in his 50s when "Stan" was chasing all those young clippies.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Are American comedies allowed?.....If so, F Troop, The Phil Silvers Show, Beverley Hillbillies, M*A*S*H.
    I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Car 54, All in the Family . . . so many.

This is a thread that could last a very long time given that it revives so many happy memories. One that I have not see mentioned was the delightful Felicity Kendal in 'The Good Life.' In addition to her loveliness, that show was an interesting reflection of the fading hippy era of the 1960s and its clash with the conventional corporate and social lives of Margo and Jerry.

Arthur Askey. Whenever he showed up on the telly my sainted mother could be counted on to say, 'Oh, no, not Arthur bloody Askey.'

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    This is a thread that could last a very long time given that it revives so many happy memories. One that I have not see mentioned was the delightful Felicity Kendal in 'The Good Life.' In addition to her loveliness, that show was an interesting reflection of the fading hippy era of the 1960s and its clash with the conventional corporate and social lives of Margo and Jerry.
    Margo wasn't bad either, she had lovely long legs.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    Margo wasn't bad either, she had lovely long legs.
    Penelope Keith was very attractive

Far more so than Felecity Kendal

It's dreary and depressing, with all those people squeezed into a little house, and Stan's romantic aspirations constantly foiled by a total lack of privacy. It's also worth remembering that Reg Varney was in his 50s when "Stan" was chasing all those young clippies.
    Good lad

Bob the bus conductor was a good looking hunk, wasn’t he, no wonder all the 18 & 19 year old stunners went for him

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Penelope Keith was very attractive

Far more so than Felecity Kendal
    Perspective is interesting, isn't it?

Bob the bus conductor was a good looking hunk, wasn’t he, no wonder all the 18 & 19 year old stunners went for him
    It was probably his excellent teeth and charming leer.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Les Dawson .....bit dated but a talented guy

Dick Emery .....cross dressing superstar

One Foot In The Grave ......absolute crap

Rising Damp ......Great comedy actors , superb scripts

Only Fools And Horses .....never thought much of that

Keeping Up Appearances .....shoot anyone involved in that nonsense

Bread ......unfunny scouse cobblers

Porridge ......top stuff

Two Ronnie's........could drag on but had their moments , mastermind and hardware shop being the best

Man About The House ......rubbish but Paula Wilcox was worth watching

All shite bar OF&H

Even the theme tune plodded along in dull fashion giving the clue as to what was to come - God knows why, but it was a very popular show..

Bob Grant's life wasn't a happy one after On the Buses - playing that absurd character was as good as it got for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Grant_(actor)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Its difficult to say without going back and watching them. I remember loving Allo Allo as a kid but its probably horrifically dated now.

Of the ones I have watched of late, Only Fools (especially the early ones), Porridge, The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin and Yes Minister are all superb.

Brass Eye is 25 now so not sure if that counts, still the best comedy ever shown on TV IMHO.
    I loved this particular episode, which was about drugs and a number of talking heads were had 'big time'.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    You are judging Bob Monkhouse on his game show period, which was a smarmy persona, but it was the role he played. Don’t judge a book by the cover.

He spent the first 20 years as a performer and scriptwriter, writing for all the big names at the time. He used to write for Bob Hope on his British tours.

Throughout his career he wrote down every single joke he wrote or came across in an indexed archive. That enabled him to find a joke for any occasion when scriptwriting.

He also had one of the biggest archives of film TV and radio shows in the country which was handed over to the BFI. It contained many shows on TV and radio that had been thought lost. It was from this archive that Lenny Henry’s first appearance from Opportunity Knocks, was found after being considered lost for ever.

Not long before his death he did a stand-up show in 2003 for which he invited all the top comedy talent in this county to attend, with many wondering why they invited. By the end of the show everyone who attended were dumbstruck by the quality of his comedy, his career and the all the gods of comedy he worked with during it. It takes real guts to do that.

I felt like you about him until a watched a documentary about him 10 years after his death, which covered what I had written above and much more.
    "People laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian but I bet they're not laughing now"

Love Thy Neighbour was probably the worst comedy ever in back in the dark old days, if it deserves to be called a comedy at all. The script and acting were appalling.

It was an ITV attempt at something to rival Till Death Do Us Part but, like most ITV so called comedy back then it was nowhere near in quality and as puerile as Till Death was thought provoking.

The Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho, a comic genius. Catch him on YouTube hosting ‘What’s My Line’, absolutely outstanding comedy.
    My dad introduced me to the Marx Brothers.

Forever grateful for that.

My dad introduced me to the Marx Brothers.

Forever grateful for that.
    The Marx Brothers, particularly Groucho, a comic genius. Catch him on YouTube hosting ‘What’s My Line’, absolutely outstanding comedy.
    Do you mean, 'You Bet Your Life,' which is the show Groucho hosted? ('What's My Line' with John Daly is also superb). There is an episode of 'You Bet Your Life' where a husband and wife take the stage with Groucho, and Groucho, noticing that the wife is a blonde stunner, bets the husband a buck that he can steal a kiss from his wife so fast that the husband won't even see it. Husband accepts the challenge. Groucho saunters over, kisses the wife on the cheek, comes back to the podium and asks the husband if he saw it.

'Yes,' he says. 'I did.'

'O.K.,' Groucho says. 'Here's your buck.'

Do you mean, 'You Bet Your Life,' which is the show Groucho hosted? ('What's My Line' with John Daly is also superb). There is an episode of 'You Bet Your Life' where a husband and wife take the stage with Groucho, and Groucho, noticing that the wife is a blonde stunner, bets the husband a buck that he can steal a kiss from his wife so fast that the husband won't even see it. Husband accepts the challenge. Groucho saunters over, kisses the wife on the cheek, comes back to the podium and asks the husband if he saw it.

'Yes,' he says. 'I did.'

classic

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    classic
    Now that's what I call comedy

'Yes,' he says. 'I did.'

You’re correct, that’s the one he hosted, he was a regular panel member on ‘What’s My Line. Superb in both shows.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Even the theme tune plodded along in dull fashion giving the clue as to what was to come - God knows why, but it was a very popular show..

Bob Grant's life wasn't a happy one after On the Buses - playing that absurd character was as good as it got for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Grant_(actor)
    Blimey, he really did live a troubled life after On the Buses. I had no idea. Sadly not uncommon for performers who cannot live a life outside of the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Blimey, he really did live a troubled life after On the Buses. I had no idea. Sadly not uncommon for performers who cannot live a life outside of the limelight.
    The advent of ‘pay the driver’ resulting in the demise of the conductor must have hit him as well.

The advent of ‘pay the driver’ resulting in the demise of the conductor must have hit him as well.
    It hit me too. After 3 years as a conductor on the Sheffield buses I was on the dole. For a week. Then I turned up at an interview for a Council Housing Officer in uniform and they decided if I could collect fares I could collect rent. Never looked back!