+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Dalman buy the City off Tan?

Will Dalman buy the City off Tan?

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this but he may be (or already has) putting together a consortium.He seems to be far better connected in football terms than I previously thought and there seems to be a marked change in him lately.

Re: Will Dalman buy the City off Tan?

I think that's a perfectly fair question

Won't reach Tan's OTT valuation.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Won't reach Tan's OTT valuation.
    I've a feeling the sands may be shifting.

Is this a difficult Dalman to the one who’s repeatedly slagged off and called on to resign?
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 06-06-23 at 22:27. Reason: Typo

I thought the way he opened the conference by setting the record straight about some of the dumb things us idiot fans believe came across as completely arrogant. I don't know what he reads but I hadn't seen a single thing about Bulut being a linguistic moron and Dalman's family ties to the manager.

Despite his acquired home counties accent, slicked back hair and shiny suit, he just has a demeanour of superiority and smugness. I'd prefer someone with a little more humility. Someone who knows a little bit about the game. Someone who just addresses the media and fans with a straight face, answers the questions without imparting his wisdom based on his years working in "the city". Someone who doesn't smirk when a perfectly normal question is put to him.

All Tan has to do is hire some people with credentials in the game and keep his nose out. He'd be a decent owner if he had some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I thought the way he opened the conference by setting the record straight about some of the dumb things us idiot fans believe came across as completely arrogant. I don't know what he reads but I hadn't seen a single thing about Bulut being a linguistic moron and Dalman's family ties to the manager.

Despite his acquired home counties accent, slicked back hair and shiny suit, he just has a demeanour of superiority and smugness. I'd prefer someone with a little more humility. Someone who knows a little bit about the game. Someone who just addresses the media and fans with a straight face, answers the questions without imparting his wisdom based on his years working in "the city". Someone who doesn't smirk when a perfectly normal question is put to him.

All Tan has to do is hire some people with credentials in the game and keep his nose out. He'd be a decent owner if he had some sense.

Agreed but I think you are asking a little too much of Tan.

Dalman is Swiss Tony

Don't know about the linguistic one but definitely saw something on one of the message boards about the appointment being because he was a mate of Dalman?

As an approach I personally didn't mind the bite back as there isn't half some shite written on social media and these messageboards that get debated for pages on end as if they are fact. The other bloke who seemed to have been nailed on is a case in point as well as the Bamba assassination when there was no substance to it?

Whether the press conference was the right place to do it I am not so sure.

How would he afford it?

If it become some sort of financial vehicle with multiple investors that could cause more issues than we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Dalman is Swiss Tony
    I've heard of Swiss Peter. But who is Swiss Tony?

Lots of ways to afford it, if he had a desire too

Bring in other investors in a consortium

Agree to take on the debt and pay Tan back over a set period of time

Borrow heavily against the club, similar to what other clubs have done

A mixture of 1and 2, which could mean face saving for Tan as he plans his route out

I doubt anyone actually puts lots of their own personal fortune into this kind of project, and that’s what it would be seen as imho

Invest, get promoted and then sell

Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've heard of Swiss Peter. But who is Swiss Tony?
    Wasn't he a character in the fast show - smooth cars salesman?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    He was. In this context he'd say "Taking over a football club is very much like making love to a beautiful woman..."

Don't know about the linguistic one
    I think it was on twitter, people asking "does he even speak English?"

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    He was. In this context he'd say "Taking over a football club is very much like making love to a beautiful woman..."
    I think the real test would have been finding anything that Swiss Tony didn't think was "very much like making love to a beautiful woman".

What Dalman said re setting the record straight was absolutely true and needed to be said. There have been some idiotic stories circulating, started by people who have axes to grind and know little about football. Both of the things you mention were on this board and others, as was unwarranted criticism of Bamba’s abilities. Plus Dalman has been Chairman of this club for over twelve years now. At what point would you say that someone who started out as being a bit of a novice in football knowledge terms becomes experienced at that task, because I would say that Dalman reached that point some time ago. He is one of the most experienced Chairmen in the league now and will have built up many contacts and generally in football circles appears well thought of.

International

"Polishing a car is like making love to a beautiful woman"

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What Dalman said re setting the record straight was absolutely true and needed to be said. There have been some idiotic stories circulating, started by people who have axes to grind and know little about football. Both of the things you mention were on this board and others, as was unwarranted criticism of Bamba’s abilities. Plus Dalman has been Chairman of this club for over twelve years now. At what point would you say that someone who started out as being a bit of a novice in football knowledge terms becomes experienced at that task, because I would say that Dalman reached that point some time ago. He is one of the most experienced Chairmen in the league now and will have built up many contacts and generally in football circles appears well thought of.
    It’s only right he should put the record straight or at least bat away unfounded criticism,

The real question here is how do you know that in football circles he appears to be well thought of?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the real test would have been finding anything that Swiss Tony didn't think was "very much like making love to a beautiful woman".
    He's the sort of bloke I'd be left counting my fingers after shaking his hand.

Sal man has been Chairman of the club for under 10 years - not over 12. (July 2013).

He has obviously developed some experience and expertise over that time - but as a non executive on the Board. He gets involved with the appointment of managers (in some cases he leads the recruitment and sells the idea to Tan - in other cases he doesn’t). The Sala tragedy has given Dalman a unique insight into football governance and Swiss contract law - but not enough to prevent late payment of the first instalment to Nantes and the 3 window transfer restrictions that came with it. So no - he’s not a novice, but neither is he a top operator in running a big club.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sal man has been Chairman of the club for under 10 years - not over 12. (July 2013).

He has obviously developed some experience and expertise over that time - but as a non executive on the Board. He gets involved with the appointment of managers (in some cases he leads the recruitment and sells the idea to Tan - in other cases he doesn’t). The Sala tragedy has given Dalman a unique insight into football governance and Swiss contract law - but not enough to prevent late payment of the first instalment to Nantes and the 3 window transfer restrictions that came with it. So no - he’s not a novice, but neither is he a top operator in running a big club.
    But hes well thought of in football circles

What’s that series called?…Undercover Boss, I think. Which features CEOs, owners etc of companies who, as the title suggests, go undercover as a new recruit. Very often they’re found to have very little knowledge of the workings of the particular occupation that they’re head of yet have ‘run the show’ for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    But hes well thought of in football circles
    And of course expertise trumps experience every time and there ain't much of that to go round on our board; save for selling cars maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What’s that series called?…Undercover Boss, I think. Which features CEOs, owners etc of companies who, as the title suggests, go undercover as a new recruit. Very often they’re found to have very little knowledge of the workings of the particular occupation that they’re head of yet have ‘run the show’ for many years.
    Wasn’t Dalman linked as heading up a consortium to buy Charlton a few years back ?
    He me very well have aspirations to buy a club but not convinced we would be any better off.
    He has recently met with supporters where he has pointed out that EVERY decision is made by Tan.
    Is this his way of distancing himself from many of the poor decisions taken at board level ?