+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T One for the Welsh speakers

O/T One for the Welsh speakers

We are moving to a new bungalow soon and we are looking to give it a name. We have been looking at translations for eventually and like ymhen. Would this be the correct use or should we consider something else? Also, should it all be lower case? Thanks for reading.

Re: O/T One for the Welsh speakers

Taith newydd
    Seren
    Y weledigaeth (Google translate The vision) which is the name of the farm from my favourite book On the black Hill by Bruce Chatwin

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    We are moving to a new bungalow soon and we are looking to give it a name. We have been looking at translations for eventually and like ymhen. Would this be the correct use or should we consider something else? Also, should it all be lower case? Thanks for reading.
    Why did I think of female anatomy on seeing that name?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Why did I think of female anatomy on seeing that name?
    That would be a case of metathesis (i.e. a transposition of phenomes in a word) and which happened in the etymology of the following examples:

foilage (from foilage)
    nuclear (from nucular)
    prescription (from perscription)
    bird (from bryd)
    pretty (from purty)
    dirt (from drit)
    relevant (from revelant)

Just sayin'

O’r Diwedd (at last) would be a better equivalent for eventually, Pen y Daith (Journey’s End) is a fairly common Welsh house name and has a similar meaning to eventually in this context, not that I’m suggesting you’re anywhere near your journey’s end!

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    O’r Diwedd (at last) would be a better equivalent for eventually, Pen y Daith (Journey’s End) is a fairly common Welsh house name and has a similar meaning to eventually in this context, not that I’m suggesting you’re anywhere near your journey’s end!
    I vote " Pen-y-Daith " .......normally welsh house names make reference to the geography ...........

......How about "Penyrheol" hee hee ....a little more dramatic and will remind you of the beautiful valley's hamlet which shares the same name.

"Or Diwedd" sounds a bit more like "Thank fukc that's over with" to me........which is also a cool and appropriate name for a house buy maybe isn't what the OP is going for.

Bron Yr Aur

If its good enough for Led Zeppelin....

How about Sarn Helen…

Sarn Helen refers to several stretches of Roman road in Wales. The 160-mile route, which follows a meandering course through central Wales, connects Aberconwy in the north with Carmarthen in the west.

It’s also a great Super Furry Animals song from Mwng.

Ymhen is usually used with something else e. g. ymhen eiliad - in a second. I'm trying to think of a sentence where it would be used by itself and failing at the moment. Are you happy to give the sense you're looking for by using "eventually"?

How about Parc Ninian or something more homely -Cartref( home)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    How about Parc Ninian or something more homely -Cartref( home)
    All you'd need then is the wheelchair access and handrails...

Thank you, all. We now need to make a decision.

My house is mainly brick with white fascia and white carport. The car is white.

I’m going for Carreg Wen. White rock.

As my name is David that gives me:

DAFYDD Y GARREG WEN (David of the White Rock). A famous (ish) hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    My house is mainly brick with white fascia and white carport. The car is white.

I’m going for Carreg Wen. White rock.

As my name is David that gives me:

DAFYDD Y GARREG WEN (David of the White Rock). A famous (ish) hymn.
    Well known tune? Song? Not a hymn though, at least not in my chapel.

Thank you, all. We now need to make a decision.
    Suggestions with no other input:
    Y dyfodol (the future)
    Dyfodol (to come, future)

Of course, it's very subjective but I find dyfodol better than ymhen.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I vote " Pen-y-Daith " .......normally welsh house names make reference to the geography ...........

......How about "Penyrheol" hee hee ....a little more dramatic and will remind you of the beautiful valley's hamlet which shares the same name.

"Or Diwedd" sounds a bit more like "Thank fukc that's over with" to me........which is also a cool and appropriate name for a house buy maybe isn't what the OP is going for.
    I remember delivering a letter to a house at the top of a very steep estate, house name - "O'r diwedd", cheeky feckers

Pen y daith works better than ymhen imo

Thanks all for the suggestions, especially bigjoe, as we've gone for 'Y dyfodol' (the future)

Thanks all for the suggestions, especially bigjoe, as we've gone for 'Y dyfodol' (the future)
    a thu hwnt (and beyond)