+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Caroline Lucas stepping down.

Caroline Lucas stepping down.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hton-pavilion-

Surprised by this, hope the Greens can maintain a presence in Parliament, but Labour will fancy taking the seat off them.

Re: Caroline Lucas stepping down.

After the local elections I thought there would be a fair chance of a Green breakthrough at the next general election - maybe 5-6 seats.

But looking at the swings needed in their target seats that looks very unlikely.

Their targets are a mix of Labour, Tory and Lib Dem - but most (apart from Bristol West) need 20+% swings.

They are making good progress in local elections though - and in many places are hoovering up Labour votes where disillusionment with the 'Tory Lite' option is at its strongest.

Good, I've never liked her. Found her confrontational and divisive and overly political in matters not central to the Green movement - a long standing issue for Green parties, and other single issue parties is what happens when they govern).

On the other side of the coin, she did remarkably well to gain a seat under our system and that makes her a very influential person.

Much preferred Jonathan Barclay really. I don't think they have a leader now?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Good, I've never liked her. Found her confrontational and divisive and overly political in matters not central to the Green movement - a long standing issue for Green parties, and other single issue parties is what happens when they govern).

On the other side of the coin, she did remarkably well to gain a seat under our system and that makes her a very influential person.

Much preferred Jonathan Barclay really. I don't think they have a leader now?
    Overly political? She’s a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Overly political? She’s a politician.
    Yes, I was waiting to be picked up on that! Fair point, not worded correctly. What I mean is that I think her core stances on green matters have been eroded by being in parliament, especially as she, verbally at least, always sets herself in opposition to things and doesn't seem to show a willingness to work together.

She said this herself, and I can see where she is coming from: Ms Lucas said the pressures of her role meant she had not been able to focus on "the challenges that drive me - the nature and climate emergencies".

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yes, I was waiting to be picked up on that! Fair point, not worded correctly. What I mean is that I think her core stances on green matters have been eroded by being in parliament, especially as she, verbally at least, always sets herself in opposition to things and doesn't seem to show a willingness to work together.

She said this herself, and I can see where she is coming from: Ms Lucas said the pressures of her role meant she had not been able to focus on "the challenges that drive me - the nature and climate emergencies".
    I can see where you’re coming from - the reality of being an MP probably turns out to be a long way short of the exciting series of challenges you imagined it would be. The reality turns out to be mundane with you always having to compromise your views to keep the party whips off your back.

However, I would argue that, if any MP had a degree of freedom, it would be Caroline Lucas. She is a one woman band and as long as she doesn’t go too far, the party hierarchy would be stupid to lean on her too much because she is the Green Party’s biggest asset. In my view, she to the left of current mainstream Labour Party thinking, so she’s going to have fundamental differences in political thinking compared to the large majority of MPs.

Thank god they can now kill the weeds that are destroying pavement walking and creating hazards for the elderly , bring bag the beach barby I hear folk cry