+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cardiff City 1949/50

Re: Cardiff City 1949/50

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Monkfish posted a video of highlights from 60/61 which included the goals from a 3-2 City win at Arsenal and there was also a goal from Tapscott in a home game against Man United.
    I didn’t know they had a small stand between the Grange End and the grandstand enclosure

Also the advertisement on the Grange End roof suggested the brewery closed in 1947

Crosswell’s Cardiff Brewery Ltd
    The brewery was originally founded as an agency for the sale of Showell’s Brewery beers in South Wales. The company was registered as Crosswell’s Cardiff Brewery Ltd in 1897 to amalgamate the Caerphilly & Castle Brewery Ltd with Crosswells Ltd. Acquired by Andrew Buchan’s Rhymney Breweries in 1936 and brewing ended in 1947. It would be interesting to know if the different designs of the beehive corresponded to particular years. I have assumed that the Queen Street Offices were the first, followed by St Mary Street.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I didn’t know they had a small stand between the Grange End and the grandstand enclosure.
    That was used as a press box.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I didn’t know they had a small stand between the Grange End and the grandstand enclosure

Also the advertisement on the Grange End roof suggested the brewery closed in 1947

Crosswell’s Cardiff Brewery Ltd
    The brewery was originally founded as an agency for the sale of Showell’s Brewery beers in South Wales. The company was registered as Crosswell’s Cardiff Brewery Ltd in 1897 to amalgamate the Caerphilly & Castle Brewery Ltd with Crosswells Ltd. Acquired by Andrew Buchan’s Rhymney Breweries in 1936 and brewing ended in 1947. It would be interesting to know if the different designs of the beehive corresponded to particular years. I have assumed that the Queen Street Offices were the first, followed by St Mary Street.
    Radio Ninian

Steve Morison may still be City manager today if he'd had a striker who scored five times in the first eight games of the season like Tommy Best did in 49/50. It wasn't good enough to keep Best in the team though and he only played once more after that before disappearing from the scene, presumably off on that loan spell at QPR mentioned earlier in the thread.

Best scored the winner in the early season game with the jacks in front of that huge crowd and got both goals in a 2-0 win over Hull in the next game at Ninian Park in a game which must have been played on a Monday afternoon and yet there were just over 40,000 watching it (maybe what we call August Bank holiday was a little bit later back then?) - given that Hull played in their normal amber and black that day, I don't think that match is on the film. Best also scored in he 4-2 loss against Leicester I mentioned earlier, so I'd be fairly confident that is one of the matches featured. Apart from a 2-0 loss at Sheffield United in November, that was Best's last game for City - his other goal in 49/50 coming in a 2-2 draw at Bury.

Regarding that building between the Grange End and the Enclosure, Cyncoed Slumdog is much, much older than me, so I can't argue with him when he says it was built as a press box, but I remember it as Radio Ninian where the DJ played his pre match records from. It must have been knocked down at the same time they demolished the old Grange End and in it's latter years it would display the winning time for the golden goal competition whereby the person with the ticket showing the correct time of the first goal scored in minutes and second won a huge cash prize - well, about 50 quid.

Can't help much about Showell's Brewery I'm afraid, although I think I saw a programme from the fifties which had an aerial picture of the ground with a Rhymney Beer advert on the Grange End roof - maybe I'm imagining it, but I thought Rhymney Beer was still being sold in the sixties? I'm sure I saw adverts dotted around the city for it when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That was used as a press box.
    A great film and great to see some of the players who played in my first City match in 1950 against Manchester City. The score in the match was 1-1 and Elfed Evans scored for the City. Man City had Bert Trautmann in goal, with Welsh internationals Roy Paul and Roy Clarke also in the team. Needless to say I was hooked, and I am still a season ticket holder.
    City layers I picked out from the film included Alf Sherwood, Stan Montgomery, Ken Hollyman, Billy Baker, Roley Williams, and goalkeeper Phil Joslin, who unfortunately broke his ankle in a warm up match before the 1951/52 season, and never played again. I remember seeing a photo of his ankle in the Football Echo and his feet were pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction.
    Thanks again for the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Woosnam View Post
    A great film and great to see some of the players who played in my first City match in 1950 against Manchester City. The score in the match was 1-1 and Elfed Evans scored for the City. Man City had Bert Trautmann in goal, with Welsh internationals Roy Paul and Roy Clarke also in the team. Needless to say I was hooked, and I am still a season ticket holder.
    City layers I picked out from the film included Alf Sherwood, Stan Montgomery, Ken Hollyman, Billy Baker, Roley Williams, and goalkeeper Phil Joslin, who unfortunately broke his ankle in a warm up match before the 1951/52 season, and never played again. I remember seeing a photo of his ankle in the Football Echo and his feet were pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction.
    Thanks again for the film.
    Thanks - great to have someone contributing who saw the 49/50 side play

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    At 1.18.25. Arsenal v City Snips of Graham Moore, sold the next season at Christmas when we were 8th/9th in Division 1. Relegated that season for 60years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8wzdRID_o
    Those were the days, no rolling around on the floor faking injuries, and no VAR interrupting play.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Radio Ninian
    Yes that was based there for a while as well. It was also a seating area on occasions. I remember watching a Wales game in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Yes that was based there for a while as well. It was also a seating area on occasions. I remember watching a Wales game in there.
    Real grass or just the floorboards ?

Fascinating film. Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Still won't work on two I pads I have, but it does on my laptop. Firstly, thanks to Monkfish for posting that link, it's a great watch.

I see they were hoping someone could identify the teams we were playing - it seems to me that the opposition were playing in red and white for the majority of the games, so, by using a great City database I have access to, I can take what I'd call an educated guess at some of them.

Given that the pitch looks in good condition in all of the matches , I'd say the games were played in the first half of the season and in all bar one of the games, the conditions look dry and sunny. Monkfish may be right when he says he thinks we were playing Swansea in the first game because we played them at Ninian Park on 27 August in our second home game of 49/50, beating them 1-0 in front of a crowd of 61,000! However, Swansea played in all white that season and, given the dark shorts the opposition are wearing, I'd say it's more likely that the pictures come from our next home match, played on 5 September in which we were beaten 1-0 by Spurs in front of 43,000.

In the next month, two sides wearing red and white would visit Ninian Park, Leicester won 4-2 in front of 32,000 and Chesterfield being beaten 2-0 in front of 29,000 - one of these games may be the one played in the rain in which you can see gaps on the Enclosure terracing. Another candidate for the game in the wet might be West Ham's 1-0 win in November when I suppose their claret and blue kit might look like a red and white one in black and white - the crowd that day was down to 21,000.

There's also a game where we're playing a team in stripes, that might be Grimsby, but this match took place in December and I would have thought that the pitch would have been showing more signs of wear and tear by then - we won 1-0 that day in front of 23,000.

There's also a match where one of the teams have a kit with while sleeves - that may have been City. The historical kits website has us wearing blue with white sleeves that season and I have a photo of a team group from that campaign with us having white sleeves and another one in which we didn't. What's clear from the film though is that our "official" colours might have been blue with white sleeves that season, but it seems, more often than not, we wore something different.

As can be guessed from the results in the matches I've mentioned, City were pretty inconsistent in 49/50 and ended up in tenth position in the Second Division - gates fell away from the 40,000 plus attendances of early season, but our average gate on just short of 29,000 was the seventh highest in the second tier - interestingly, Spurs with 54,111 were the best supported side in the country by over five thousand per game despite not being in the First Division.
    Here is a colorised attempt

IMG_4075.jpg