+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City 1949/50

Cardiff City 1949/50

..from the Canton Stand. Think 1st game is v Swansea. Some great scenes of bob bank and enclosure/grandstand. If you root around there are a few clips from the 1920's also.....

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/...rk-1949-online

Re: Cardiff City 1949/50

what an excellent find Monkfish

How do you get it to play

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..from the Canton Stand. Think 1st game is v Swansea. Some great scenes of bob bank and enclosure/grandstand. If you root around there are a few clips from the 1920's also.....

pretty sure Ken Hollyman is playing in some of that footage

remember working with him before his retirement . had lots of memories from his time with us and Newport county

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How do you get it to play
    Not working for me either - I tap the arrow to play and nothing’s happening.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not working for me either - I tap the arrow to play and nothing’s happening.
    scroll down a bit - screen is bit too big.

Does not play!!!! even scrolling down...

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    pretty sure Ken Hollyman is playing in some of that footage

remember working with him before his retirement . had lots of memories from his time with us and Newport county
    ..and Tommy Best, 1st black player for City

Can you see the green bit bottom right of screen ? Click it, it's just peeping out. Or just move the screen down with your curser on the bar on right.

I've just done it using the link on Mozzer's post.

Can you see the green bit bottom right of screen ? Click it, it's just peeping out. Or just move the screen down with your curser on the bar on right.

I've just done it using the link on Mozzer's post.
    Great footage , what’s very noticeable , is the crowd differences per match ,nothing changes there.

Is there any sound ?

Is there any sound ?
    "Amateur film 1949 16 mins Silent"

Excellent stuff AQM 👏

Is there any sound ?
    no sound for me but great footage

As I said, some stuff from City in 1920's if you root around. Also, coming up soon :

Arsenal 2 Cardiff City 3. Division 1 February 1961

[with sound !]

Still won't work on two I pads I have, but it does on my laptop. Firstly, thanks to Monkfish for posting that link, it's a great watch.

I see they were hoping someone could identify the teams we were playing - it seems to me that the opposition were playing in red and white for the majority of the games, so, by using a great City database I have access to, I can take what I'd call an educated guess at some of them.

Given that the pitch looks in good condition in all of the matches , I'd say the games were played in the first half of the season and in all bar one of the games, the conditions look dry and sunny. Monkfish may be right when he says he thinks we were playing Swansea in the first game because we played them at Ninian Park on 27 August in our second home game of 49/50, beating them 1-0 in front of a crowd of 61,000! However, Swansea played in all white that season and, given the dark shorts the opposition are wearing, I'd say it's more likely that the pictures come from our next home match, played on 5 September in which we were beaten 1-0 by Spurs in front of 43,000.

In the next month, two sides wearing red and white would visit Ninian Park, Leicester won 4-2 in front of 32,000 and Chesterfield being beaten 2-0 in front of 29,000 - one of these games may be the one played in the rain in which you can see gaps on the Enclosure terracing. Another candidate for the game in the wet might be West Ham's 1-0 win in November when I suppose their claret and blue kit might look like a red and white one in black and white - the crowd that day was down to 21,000.

There's also a game where we're playing a team in stripes, that might be Grimsby, but this match took place in December and I would have thought that the pitch would have been showing more signs of wear and tear by then - we won 1-0 that day in front of 23,000.

There's also a match where one of the teams have a kit with while sleeves - that may have been City. The historical kits website has us wearing blue with white sleeves that season and I have a photo of a team group from that campaign with us having white sleeves and another one in which we didn't. What's clear from the film though is that our "official" colours might have been blue with white sleeves that season, but it seems, more often than not, we wore something different.

As can be guessed from the results in the matches I've mentioned, City were pretty inconsistent in 49/50 and ended up in tenth position in the Second Division - gates fell away from the 40,000 plus attendances of early season, but our average gate on just short of 29,000 was the seventh highest in the second tier - interestingly, Spurs with 54,111 were the best supported side in the country by over five thousand per game despite not being in the First Division.

At 1.18.25. Arsenal v City Snips of Graham Moore, sold the next season at Christmas when we were 8th/9th in Division 1. Relegated that season for 60years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8wzdRID_o

At 1.18.25. Arsenal v City Snips of Graham Moore, sold the next season at Christmas when we were 8th/9th in Division 1. Relegated that season for 60years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8wzdRID_o
    Graham Moore playing for City was before my time, but there's a couple of people I know who say he's the best player they've seen in a City shirt. I can only remember him playing for Wales and Charlton I think it was in the late sixties and I wasn't that impressed, but, watching that short clip, he looked to have a mixture of skill and power when in possession, he played some good passes and finished well for his goal.

There's also a goal by Derek Tapscott against Manchester United at the Grange End in there.

As I said, some stuff from City in 1920's if you root around. Also, coming up soon :

Arsenal 2 Cardiff City 3. Division 1 February 1961

[with sound !]
    👏
    Has it been released early in America?

Still won't work on two I pads I have, but it does on my laptop. Firstly, thanks to Monkfish for posting that link, it's a great watch.

I see they were hoping someone could identify the teams we were playing - it seems to me that the opposition were playing in red and white for the majority of the games, so, by using a great City database I have access to, I can take what I'd call an educated guess at some of them.

Given that the pitch looks in good condition in all of the matches , I'd say the games were played in the first half of the season and in all bar one of the games, the conditions look dry and sunny. Monkfish may be right when he says he thinks we were playing Swansea in the first game because we played them at Ninian Park on 27 August in our second home game of 49/50, beating them 1-0 in front of a crowd of 61,000! However, Swansea played in all white that season and, given the dark shorts the opposition are wearing, I'd say it's more likely that the pictures come from our next home match, played on 5 September in which we were beaten 1-0 by Spurs in front of 43,000.

In the next month, two sides wearing red and white would visit Ninian Park, Leicester won 4-2 in front of 32,000 and Chesterfield being beaten 2-0 in front of 29,000 - one of these games may be the one played in the rain in which you can see gaps on the Enclosure terracing. Another candidate for the game in the wet might be West Ham's 1-0 win in November when I suppose their claret and blue kit might look like a red and white one in black and white - the crowd that day was down to 21,000.

There's also a game where we're playing a team in stripes, that might be Grimsby, but this match took place in December and I would have thought that the pitch would have been showing more signs of wear and tear by then - we won 1-0 that day in front of 23,000.

There's also a match where one of the teams have a kit with while sleeves - that may have been City. The historical kits website has us wearing blue with white sleeves that season and I have a photo of a team group from that campaign with us having white sleeves and another one in which we didn't. What's clear from the film though is that our "official" colours might have been blue with white sleeves that season, but it seems, more often than not, we wore something different.

As can be guessed from the results in the matches I've mentioned, City were pretty inconsistent in 49/50 and ended up in tenth position in the Second Division - gates fell away from the 40,000 plus attendances of early season, but our average gate on just short of 29,000 was the seventh highest in the second tier - interestingly, Spurs with 54,111 were the best supported side in the country by over five thousand per game despite not being in the First Division.
    Looking at the clip at around the 9:40 timestamp, there is a number 9 that appears to be a black footballer. After a quick scout on the infernalnet I come across a site that has a QPR program cover of a player called Tommy Best.

The write up with it also says that he was their first black player. It also mentions that he joined them on loan from Cardiff City, in 1949, where he was also our first black player.

Here is the link:
    https://londonist.com/london/sport/f...s-london-clubs

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Looking at the clip at around the 9:40 timestamp, there is a number 9 that appears to be a black footballer. After a quick scout on the infernalnet I come across a site that has a QPR program cover of a player called Tommy Best.

The write up with it also says that he was their first black player. It also mentions that he joined them on loan from Cardiff City, in 1949, where he was also our first black player.

Here is the link:
    https://londonist.com/london/sport/f...s-london-clubs
    yes, I mentioned in thread earlier.

I'd say the 1st game is likely Wales v England given there's a band playing before the game

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I'd say the 1st game is likely Wales v England given there's a band playing before the game
    They did before league games early in season.

Don't think it's E v W. The photo shows stripes on Wales' shorts - none in film, and towards the end the aforementioned Tommy Best challenges the 'keeper..

https://www.imago-images.com/sp/0016601830

yes, I mentioned in thread earlier.
    oops, I didn't see it.

Graham Moore playing for City was before my time, but there's a couple of people I know who say he's the best player they've seen in a City shirt. I can only remember him playing for Wales and Charlton I think it was in the late sixties and I wasn't that impressed, but, watching that short clip, he looked to have a mixture of skill and power when in possession, he played some good passes and finished well for his goal.

There's also a goal by Derek Tapscott against Manchester United at the Grange End in there.
    Thought these were 49/50 season ?

Tappy didn’t sign for us until 1958

Thought these were 49/50 season ?

Tappy didn’t sign for us until 1958
    Monkfish posted a video of highlights from 60/61 which included the goals from a 3-2 City win at Arsenal and there was also a goal from Tapscott in a home game against Man United.