+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day of retirement … what next?

First day of retirement … what next?

After 48 years of continuous employment, yesterday was my last day. Apprentice to Director, 6 companies, 3 continents, 20+ countries.

We’re doing a grand tour of Eastern Europe & the Balkans over the next few weeks, then returning back to the UK at the start of July. Plenty of holidays booked. 40th wedding anniversary coming up, as well as both of our birthdays. Maybe buy a motorhome & do some touring.

A lot of cycling & swimming planned. Supporting the local council with planning leisure areas. My house & garden in UK haven’t been touched for 4 years, so recovering & repairing that will be the first challenge.

I welcome any tips, comments, ideas etc. I’ve worked 60-70 hours a week, 6 days a week for the last 25 years, so winding down will be a challenge.

Cheers, Des

Re: First day of retirement … what next?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    After 48 years of continuous employment, yesterday was my last day. Apprentice to Director, 6 companies, 3 continents, 20+ countries.

We’re doing a grand tour of Eastern Europe & the Balkans over the next few weeks, then returning back to the UK at the start of July. Plenty of holidays booked. 40th wedding anniversary coming up, as well as both of our birthdays. Maybe buy a motorhome & do some touring.

A lot of cycling & swimming planned. Supporting the local council with planning leisure areas. My house & garden in UK haven’t been touched for 4 years, so recovering & repairing that will be the first challenge.

I welcome any tips, comments, ideas etc. I’ve worked 60-70 hours a week, 6 days a week for the last 25 years, so winding down will be a challenge.

Cheers, Des
    You’ve had an interesting life by the sound of it Des, have a go at writing an autobiography.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your retirement

Cheers, Des
    Don't draw up a plan as it will go by the wayside. I'm almost two years into my retirement and cramming so very much enjoyment into it. If you have your health it's a wonderful phase of your life. I travel more, I go on more walking weekends, my garden has never looked better, I attend four different language groups every week, I've dabbled with things I have never done before, I volunteer for a charity and help out a friend a lot.

It's the ultimate freedom.

Cheers, Des

Having retired at 59 at the end of 2019, I could probably write a (not very interesting) essay on the many, many pros and the one or two cons of retirement.

However I will restrict it to saying huge congratulations. With all your plans I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time.

Cheers, Des
    Firstly keep yourself busy and focus on what you enjoy and engage with people with a positive outlook. Still in touch with many friends globally and visited folks in Canada, Sweden and Germany.

I got made redundant in 2015 forced by some Yanks who globally got rid of senior people to save $$$. My job took me all over the world and stopping work was a big shock. The week after I stopped we came to the alps, bought an apartment and I'm there now. Played tennis this morning, been riding ebikes and fly fishing. Ski here in the winter. Off home Sunday and lots of golf next week and caring for grand kids. Still travel a lot and also had a couple of years as a parish councillor.

Back out in France in July for the Tour and family out as well.

Yes you'll miss work but now you can focus on the good stuff and avoid the nonsense and keep travelling!

Good luck and have fun!

Don’t plan things for three years time or four years time , actually do them in three weeks time or four weeks time. Travel, get about and have fun while you can. Not being morbid but time and health isn’t promised.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t plan things for three years time or four years time , actually do them in three weeks time or four weeks time. Travel, get about and have fun while you can. Not being morbid but time and health isn’t promised.
    So true. Live for next week, not next year.

Congratulations Des.
    Enjoy yourself!!

Good luck Des and enjoy your retirement !

I concur with so many of the comments already made. As Splott Parker has already said, don't make long term plans, do things now. That's the best piece of advice I can give.

On a personal level, it took me about 6 months before I felt totally comfortable with being retired but it may take you a little longer because of the number of hours/days you put in whilst in work. It'll certainly be a culture shock but once you get over it I hope you have wonderful time.

Follow the City home and away to every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Follow the City home and away to every game.
    He wants to enjoy his retirement!

Congratulations Des. Enjoy your retirement.

I think its a challenge if you love what you do and it seems like thats where you are. My old man was a teacher, he absolutely loved it and would have carried on forever if it was up to him.

He found the first year of retirement very hard. I think over time he just ramped up doing the things he was interested in so that they filled the gap.

I guess if I was in your position, Id be doing a lot of travelling while I was able. Theres so many places Id love to go that I dont have the time or money to visit with a young family.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Witty

Cheers, Des
    Wake up, live, repeat. My mate is aiming to walk the whole of the path(s) around Wales. I hope to join him for some parts. Hope all goes well for you whatever you decide.

Well done that man 👏

Much is made of planning for your retirement and it has always been in the subconscious all through mine and colleagues working lives.
    Unfortunately there are those who have passed without making it.
    You have made it and sounds like you fully deserve it!

Travelling sounds perfect and whatever else you decide to do Des, enjoy every minute and experience life with positivity.
    I suggest you start by not watching the news as much!

Thanks for all of the responses. Currently in Budapest, Hungary being the 4th country on our tour. Beautiful city, surprisingly expensive, more so than Berlin where we started, full of hen & stage parties, loads of Irish & Scots in town. Driving down to Mostar over the next couple of days. Travelling will be a big part of retirement.

Thanks for all of the responses. Currently in Budapest, Hungary being the 4th country on our tour. Beautiful city, surprisingly expensive, more so than Berlin where we started, full of hen & stage parties, loads of Irish & Scots in town. Driving down to Mostar over the next couple of days. Travelling will be a big part of retirement.
    Keep us up to date with your travels Des.
    Enjoy your retirement. Keep busy and live to today, not tomorrow.

All the best Des!

Cheers, Des
    Congratulations. That sounds like an amazing life and career. I really hope you can adjust.

Mostar is interesting and the war crimes museum is very sobering - and Bosnia is still a very divided country in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    lol! Best comment so far!

Sounds like a well deserved retirement 👏

International

Cheers, Des
    Watch Cardiff City in the Championship while you still can, Go for a drive while you still can, and fly while you still can, leave Wales if you can, it's a disaster area, and only going to get worse.

Ps enjoy your retirement it does sound like you've earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Watch Cardiff City in the Championship while you still can, Go for a drive while you still can, and fly while you still can, leave Wales if you can, it's a disaster area, and only going to get worse.

Ps enjoy your retirement it does sound like you've earned it!
    Do you live in Wales - just curious due to your comment about it being a disaster area??