+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retained list

Re: Retained list

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Great comparison. Although, a little bit before my time. Harris is probably a little more versatile than Showers hence the Cohen comparison. But great call.

How about Ray Bishop?
    Harris is much better than Showers was. Other difference is that Harris goes to a hairdresser. Showers either to a barber or he got somebody in the family to do his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen , so in an improved City team will see an improvement in Mark Harris - that’s if he chooses to sign a new deal , he may have offers elsewhere to consider.

You could say the same of Colwill - coincidence or not?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    I quite like Harris, he has pace and works hard. A championship squad needs 5-7 attackers and until we have 5-7 better than him (which we don't and probably won't for next season) I hope he stays. The likes of Ojo, Watters and Zimba should all go before he does. He has played all of his games for City in a dire, misfunctioning attacking team. We have had nobody in midfield or out wide for two seasons who can pass to somebody in the same coloured shirt. Please don't suggest Philogene as he didn't try and pass.

That said, I'm interested in the Nathan Blake comparison. Three things worth noting:

1. Nathan was a class above Harris
    2. Most of his City career was spent on the left wing in a 4-4-2
    3. Apart from his final (part) season, he played in promotion chasing winning teams.

Nathan would have looked a class above last season for us, he was brilliant. I don't think even the most ardent Harris fan would suggest that he is Blakeys equal.
    Good post. The point i was trying to make is that good players will show through under most conditions, that's why i used the Blakey example. I know that Harris isn't as good as Blake was, and my point is probably a bit more general in terms of players that some fans seem to be making excuses for, when they haven't earned that right.

I have a more simplistic slant on things, good players find a way to show us what they can do, in whatever side they play in, because they're better on the ball, better without the ball, more intelligent. They may not make the difference if they're around poor players, but it's obvious to everyone that they're a step ahead in terms of ability. Harris isn't any of those things, and he never will be, because they're natural traits to start with that are perfected by working very hard and living well. There's no magic wand coach or 'Better Players' out there who are likely to improve his game, that's his shout.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You could say the same of Colwill - coincidence or not?
    Sorry Bob, i'd wouldn't call it Coincidence, i'd call it an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thought Sang had something to offer
    Probably Sangs choice

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Probably Sangs choice
    Sang started just 4 Championship games last season. The last was on 01/01/23. He didn’t even make a sub appearance after that.

Almost certainly not Sang’s choice.

Sang needed to be released. Same as Whyte. Both are better or as good as some under contract though.

So did I, he can pick a pass, good in midfield but no good as a fullback

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Can Bulut turn
    Harris into a goal scorer
    Bagan into a consistently good full back
    King into a real prospect
    Colwill and Davies into players who make an effective contribution when picked
    Sawyers from being error prone and lazy into a better player
    The clock back for Ralls
    The exit door handle for Ojo and Simpson.

Sawyers needs the exit door as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Can Bulut turn
    The clock back for Ralls
    That's quite a to-do list!

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    That's quite a to-do list!
    If it was only that. !!!

He also has to find a keeper , get McGuinness and Ngs contracts extended , clear out as many of Morison's players as possible bringing in defenders midfielders and attackers under restricted conditions and a limited budget.

Also winning over ultra critical fans like DML.🤣

Harris appears to play better for Wales from what I’ve seen...
    Harris has made a grand total of 5 appearances for Wales, all from the bench. His time on the pitch in a Welsh senior jersey totals just 133 minutes. He's never started a game for Wales, never scored a goal.

His last appearance for Wales came more than a year ago. He didn't play a single minute in the disastrous 2022 World Cup campaign, wasn't selected for the Euro qualifiers squad in March and hasn't been selected for the forthcoming qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey either.

In my opinion, some of the comments in this thread about Harris are nuts. The guy made 17 (+21) appearances for City last season, scoring just three goals. He scored his last goal at Sunderland on 05/11/22. He was a regular part of the most toothless attack the club has fielded in decades. And yet people think he's a decent squad player and worthy of another contract?

Harris works hard and tries his best, but there's just no evidence to suggest he's good enough for this level. If he was English or some other nationality, I'm 100% certain people wouldn't be so keen to keep him on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Harris has made a grand total of 5 appearances for Wales, all from the bench. His time on the pitch in a Welsh senior jersey totals just 133 minutes. He's never started a game for Wales, never scored a goal.

His last appearance for Wales came more than a year ago. He didn't play a single minute in the disastrous 2022 World Cup campaign, wasn't selected for the Euro qualifiers squad in March and hasn't been selected for the forthcoming qualifiers against Armenia and Turkey either.

In my opinion, some of the comments in this thread about Harris are nuts. The guy made 17 (+21) appearances for City last season, scoring just three goals. He scored his last goal at Sunderland on 05/11/22. He was a regular part of the most toothless attack the club has fielded in decades. And yet people think he's a decent squad player and worthy of another contract?

Harris works hard and tries his best, but there's just no evidence to suggest he's good enough for this level. If he was English or some other nationality, I'm 100% certain people wouldn't be so keen to keep him on.
    Stop using facts to support your argument.

Can Bulut turn
    The clock back for Ralls
    Bit harsh on Ralls that. Felt like his performances at the end of the season were a big part of why we survived. Proper captain stuff.

No one's turning Harris into a goal scorer. Not even Gandalf the Great. Can't fault his effort though.

Bagan's a weird one. Has looked immense at times and clueless other times.

I personally never saw the potential in King. I'm sure there's better in the academy. Joel Colwill to start.

Rubin needs his own strength and conditioning trainer or something. All that skill and technique but he's out there looking like Bambi on ice.

Isaak has the most potential for me. There's a reason Burnley were snooping around him. He's Bellamy lite. The youngsters aren't entitled to anything though so hopefully he hits the ground running this season.

Sawyers won't make a single appearance under Bulut.

Good statistics, and hard to argue against those , but all being said , I’ll give him one last roll of the dice this season , providing he stays. He might go if another club offers him a more lucrative contract. (Blackburn wanted him but wouldn’t meet our £700,000 valuation apparently)

I prefer him over Watters, but I don’t mind him either.

good post is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    good post is that.
    A change in manager , tactics, might kickstart his career.

Viktor Gyökeres was pretty average up until last season (just gone ) and now he is valued at €12m ( not that I’m comparing Harris with him )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Gyökeres

Harris 700 k ?

Never in a million years

I think he's a league one utility forward at best

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Bit harsh on Ralls that. Felt like his performances at the end of the season were a big part of why we survived. Proper captain stuff.

No one's turning Harris into a goal scorer. Not even Gandalf the Great. Can't fault his effort though.

Bagan's a weird one. Has looked immense at times and clueless other times.

I personally never saw the potential in King. I'm sure there's better in the academy. Joel Colwill to start.

Rubin needs his own strength and conditioning trainer or something. All that skill and technique but he's out there looking like Bambi on ice.

Isaak has the most potential for me. There's a reason Burnley were snooping around him. He's Bellamy lite. The youngsters aren't entitled to anything though so hopefully he hits the ground running this season.

Sawyers won't make a single appearance under Bulut.
    It is undeniable that Ralls is getting older and my comment related to his age.
    However, despite having a good end of season his overall season was patchy.
    Every player has to deliver every time they play. In too many matches he didn’t.
    Deciding his best position would help!

A change in manager , tactics, might kickstart his career.

Viktor Gyökeres was pretty average up until last season (just gone ) and now he is valued at €12m ( not that I’m comparing Harris with him )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Gyökeres
    I hope that you're right and Harris does become a decent enough operator at this level. I just can't see it happening, he needs to show something else that gives him a bit of an edge when needed, especially given his position. You've just named Gyokeres, i'll take your word on that because i don't pay that much attention or watch enough games to have knowledge of other players, but how often do we see dramatic changes in players who are average and limited, and see then turn into something more creative and clinical? It's certainly a rare occurrence.

It is undeniable that Ralls is getting older and my comment related to his age.
    However, despite having a good end of season his overall season was patchy.
    Every player has to deliver every time they play. In too many matches he didn’t.
    Deciding his best position would help!
    As he's slowing down a defensive midfielder in front of the back foot

He used to chip in with goals from midfield but now his position is further back

While that might all be true, he is a 100%'er and that's contagious on the training field and pitch , we know he is not going to be a 20 goal a season player at this level, but when we are where we are, he must be a good option to bring on when a goal up to see the game out

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    While that might all be true, he is a 100%'er and that's contagious on the training field and pitch , we know he is not going to be a 20 goal a season player at this level, but when we are where we are, he must be a good option to bring on when a goal up to see the game out
    I'd say that he's an option, not a particularly good one though. As for being a '100% er' well i'd say most of them are, they just show it in different ways, not everyone can chase down and run along the back line, and thank god for that, and giving 100% is sort of a requisite for a footballer, i don't think that it raises the effort rates in training, if so, then we're in bigger trouble than i thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in fairness Cohen Griffith would have been out of his depth at this level too
    I was thinking about Cohen the other day, wondering if he’d be better than Ojo.