+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Re: The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Gifted, individual thinkers the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Gifted, individual thinkers the lot of them.
    The fact that they have to publish these kind of articles speaks volumes IMO

Here is a summary of the Kings College London study.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institut...-uk-public.pdf

What a bunch of absolute jelly heads

No surprise that the internet fuels these things. Its been obvious for years that is happening.

I think the big issue with this study is who picked those conspiracy theories and not others? And who decided definitively that that's what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No surprise that the internet fuels these things. Its been obvious for years that is happening.

I think the big issue with this study is who picked those conspiracy theories and not others? And who decided definitively that that's what they are?
    I expect it was the WEF that picked the theories, the deep state that decided it wouldn't be others, and George Soros who decided definitively what they are.

Surprised not to see moon landings, JFK 'murder' (he's with Elvis in a bunker under Dallas) or flat earth on the list! Organ Morgan will be seriously disappointed that some of his favourites are missing - and he'll know the reason why!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I expect it was the WEF that picked the theories, the deep state that decided it wouldn't be others, and George Soros who decided definitively what they are.

Surprised not to see moon landings, JFK 'murder' (he's with Elvis in a bunker under Dallas) or flat earth on the list! Organ Morgan will be seriously disappointed that some of his favourites are missing - and he'll know the reason why!
    It's a fairly reasonable question by me though. As the findings may be very different if different 'conspiracies' are picked.

Several of the things cited are about future events, they can't definitively be proven as a conspiracy theory, so asking them why they selected them is no bad thing.

And indeed, that's what I have done! I've just fired an email off to the name in the pdf Cyril sent to ask. I'll let you know what they say :)

And the worrying aspect is that these people have a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    And the worrying aspect is that these people have a vote.
    And many log ins.

It's a fairly reasonable question by me though. As the findings may be very different if different 'conspiracies' are picked.

Several of the things cited are about future events, they can't definitively be proven as a conspiracy theory, so asking them why they selected them is no bad thing.

And indeed, that's what I have done! I've just fired an email off to the name in the pdf Cyril sent to ask. I'll let you know what they say :)
    My guess is that under the slide entitled Belief in conspiracy theories often promoted by alternative media they used the conspiracy theories most often promoted by alternative media. You would definitely have a winning line if they appeared in CCMB conspiracy bingo that's for sure!

The wise people answered Don't know, and all the rest are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    My guess is that under the slide entitled Belief in conspiracy theories often promoted by alternative media they used the conspiracy theories most often promoted by alternative media. You would definitely have a winning line if they appeared in CCMB conspiracy bingo that's for sure!
    Okay, so they've decided what the alternative media is. They've decided what the conspiracy theories are and they've decided that they definitely are such.

The comparison in levels of belief in different theories are interesting but it's all a bit weak based on the restrictions mentioned about. What about other conspiracy theories? What if they aren't all conspiracy theories? What about the role of other media sources? Has any of this changed over time etc.

It's a really interesting contemporary topic but it does rather feel like one of those studies where they set out to prove what they wanted to prove.

It's the BBC that you want, as they are paying for it with your money.

The comparison in levels of belief in different theories are interesting but it's all a bit weak based on the restrictions mentioned about. What about other conspiracy theories? What if they aren't all conspiracy theories? What about the role of other media sources? Has any of this changed over time etc.
    Bookmark the article, and stick these conspiracy theories on a timeline next to the old ones.

Okay, so they've decided what the alternative media is. They've decided what the conspiracy theories are and they've decided that they definitely are such.

It's a really interesting contemporary topic but it does rather feel like one of those studies where they set out to prove what they wanted to prove.
    What Alternative Media sources and "conspiracy theories often referenced do you think are missing? They asked follow up questions of the third of people who thought the listed theories were true or probably true. In nearly every case the percentage of total believers is within one or two points baldly suggesting that those who believe one theory probably believe them all. This is almost certainly the case of the user ids that mention the theories listed here most often.

You seem so desperate to overthink this that but I await any response you get with interest.

I tend to agree with you on this one Cyril. I think once people get sucked into the conspiracy theory sphere, often through social media, they become addicted to it and it's a bit like nicotine or alcohol to them in that it's hard to shake off.

They set themselves up as being receptive to any new theory doing the rounds notwithstanding how crazy it might be. Also, they usually promote these theories in self affirming echo chambers so these theories eventually get as invasive and stubbornly persistent as Japanese Knotweed.

Thank goodness we appear to have enlightened, educated people here on CCMB so I can't envisage any of us falling for it.

There is undoubtedly some batshit people on all sides.

My particular favourite was a story doing the rounds that furniture on Wayfair was being used as a front for child trafficking for elites.

If you are so inclined, everything is a conspiracy…from Ukraine through to vaccines.
    More than likely people who believe that vaccines are produced for nefarious purposes believe that 9/11 was an inside job.

On the flip side you have deconstructionists who believe that Maths is racist and that men can give birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I tend to agree with you on this one Cyril. I think once people get sucked into the conspiracy theory sphere, often through social media, they become addicted to it and it's a bit like nicotine or alcohol to them in that it's hard to shake off.

They set themselves up as being receptive to any new theory doing the rounds notwithstanding how crazy it might be. Also, they usually promote these theories in self affirming echo chambers so these theories eventually get as invasive and stubbornly persistent as Japanese Knotweed.

Thank goodness we appear to have enlightened, educated people here on CCMB so I can't envisage any of us falling for it.
    I think a few people fell for the Russia collusion hoax hook, line and sinker

I remember the conspiracy theories about China, Wuhan, Laboratories and COVID, too.

Conspiracy theories have always done the rounds. Unfortunately one of the downsides of the internet is that it amplifies them.
    I wonder what part a consistently lying government plays in adding fuel to the fire

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Conspiracy theories have always done the rounds. Unfortunately one of the downsides of the internet is that it amplifies them.
    I wonder what part a consistently lying government plays in adding fuel to the fire
    I agree, for example I could easily believe that during my lifetime a quarter of the country have believed in something that could pass for what is being called the great replacement these days.

I agree, for example I could easily believe that during my lifetime a quarter of the country have believed in something that could pass for what is being called the great replacement these days.
    I agree , it doesn’t help when high profile politicians of the free world get arrested

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I agree , it doesn’t help when high profile politicians of the free world get arrested
    What? Are you on about Trump or some other 'high profile politician of the free world' (a surprising description)?

In what way does that promote The Great Replacement racist bollox?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What? Are you on about Trump or some other 'high profile politician of the free world' (a surprising description)?

In what way does that promote The Great Replacement racist bollox?
    Trump.