+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does not watching the news make you happier?

International

Does not watching the news make you happier?

Or for most on here less miserable?

Has anyone tried a month or two complete news block?

Re: Does not watching the news make you happier?

Sometimes I go for days without looking at the news and to answer your question YES it does make you happier.
    I didn’t find out about our new manager appointment until the Tuesday or Wednesday lol 😂
    But that’s just me
    My daughter hates watching the news so perhaps it’s hereditary??
    I was on Holiday in Greece last month and didn’t miss a thing back home
    I’m not on any social media but people know what’s happening before any of the journo’s get to the scene 👍

Probably. I have a ten-year-old girl and I have to wait for her to go to bed before watching the news because there's so much ****ed up shit going on.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Or for most on here less miserable ????????????
    After Brexit, Covid and then the war in Ukraine if you're still watching the news you must be a glutton for punishment. I used to like keeping abreast of current affairs but watching the news in recent times became so depressing. The remote control became my best friend lol

Totally agree that it can get you down. Personally though I find people who switch off and say they are not interested are more annoying than the news itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    After Brexit, Covid and then the war in Ukraine if you're still watching the news you must be a glutton for punishment. I used to like keeping abreast of current affairs but watching the news in recent times became so depressing. The remote control became my best friend lol
    Throw in school shootings, abortion bans, systemic racism and far-right politics and it gets pretty bleak. Fox News, owned by Rupert Murdoch has actually done significant damage to this country.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Sometimes I go for days without looking at the news and to answer your question YES it does make you happier.
    I didn’t find out about our new manager appointment until the Tuesday or Wednesday lol ��
    But that’s just me
    My daughter hates watching the news so perhaps it’s hereditary??
    I was on Holiday in Greece last month and didn’t miss a thing back home
    I’m not on any social media but people know what’s happening before any of the journo’s get to the scene ��
    Agreed I've cut it back to the bare minimum, I watched five minutes last night and thought sod this no more for a month, I will probably flick over news headlines but sod watching the news, it's the same old news day after day anyway.

Stopped watching when the covid daily updated get tedious and the lies were pouring out of Boris and his gang.

Then got rid of my Sky Q box and just watch streaming platforms / IPTV so unless im over my mothers I never see the news anyway.

Far better for the mental health avoiding the news, especially under this shit show of a government.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agreed I've cut it back to the bare minimum, I watched five minutes last night and thought sod this no more for a month, I will probably flick over news headlines but sod watching the news, it's the same old news day after day anyway.
    My missus used to be addicted to the 24 hour BBC News channel but after many years she's finally kicked the habit and like you will now give it about 5, maybe 10 minutes tops unless there's some news article that piques her interest. I find it absolutely soul destroying nowadays and not good for anyone's mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    My missus used to be addicted to the 24 hour BBC News channel but after many years she's finally kicked the habit and like you will now give it about 5, maybe 10 minutes tops unless there's some news article that piques her interest. I find it absolutely soul destroying nowadays and not good for anyone's mental health.
    My mother-in-law used to watch CNN all day. Just an endless carousel of talking heads going over the same shit.

I like the idea of not watching the news, but equally I don't want to miss out on anything, so generally see some every day.
    Working at home aswell it's easy to have the news on in the background.

Watched the BBC 'News' the other day for the 1st time in years. Same with all mainstream channels. If I need 'news' per se, I tend to watch Al Jazeera or similar. You actually get news as opposed to a magazine style programme aiming for millenials..

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I like the idea of not watching the news, but equally I don't want to miss out on anything, so generally see some every day.
    Working at home aswell it's easy to have the news on in the background.
    I actually prefer listening to it on the radio. But I do watch it most days. Either BBC World News America or PBS. PBS can be a bit grim. They'll do in-depth reports that are 7 or 8 minutes long. Most of it is not happy stuff.

Since Covid hit, my "go to" if I'm looking to put something on tv is bbc news. When I'm on my own that is, mrs and kids switch it off instantly
    and have LBC on in the background more often than not.
    Not much pisses me off more than when people tell me a half story that's barely true or that has been twisted via facebook
    but those people are probably happier for it

I never connect my TV's to an aerial.

Do this from time to time.

It absolutely helps any anxiety you may have, even if subconscious.

How many times has watching the news actually improved your mental well-being, how many times has there been a piece of news through state media that has alerted you to something that would directly impact you?

Most of it isn't really too dissimilar to propaganda, it's rarely given without some level of bias.

I love it especially the freedom of view ones , radio is king for me , dont touch BBC , ITV , C4 .. TV.

Avid on line newspaper reader as well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I love it especially the freedom of view ones , radio is king for me , dont touch BBC , ITV , C4 .. TV.

Avid on line newspaper reader as well
    You don't say

hands down yes

I literally never watch the news. I listen to half hour of 5Live or Radio 4 news in the morning and around tea time. 5Live is my norm because of the sport but i switch to Radio 4 if they get especially annoying. I don't recall the last time I watched TV news or a politics programme. And yes I am sure if makes me a lot happier.

Everything you need to know is on here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I actually prefer listening to it on the radio. But I do watch it most days. Either BBC World News America or PBS. PBS can be a bit grim. They'll do in-depth reports that are 7 or 8 minutes long. Most of it is not happy stuff.
    PBS and NPR are fantastic.
    Best news source in the US IMO.

I see and listen to the news a great deal. The world and its inhabitants are are fascinating and I can't get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Everything you need to know is on here anyway.
    Does not logging onto CCMB make people happier?

It must be about 2 years ago that I started tuning into LBC. James O Brien, Sheila Fogharty et Al. While I agreed with so much that they say about Brexit, Co vid and the corrupt bunch of tossers running the country, I’ve found that I’ve had to stop listening to all of them as they seemed to be adding to my already crappy mood.

Twitters the same for me too. All I see are people I’ve followed who generally hate the tories, but reading what they say, while I agree with them just drags me down.