+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does not watching the news make you happier?

Re: Does not watching the news make you happier?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Or for most on here less miserable?

Has anyone tried a month or two complete news block?
    Haven’t watched it since covid, it just became to relentless and depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Stopped watching when the covid daily updated get tedious and the lies were pouring out of Boris and his gang.

Then got rid of my Sky Q box and just watch streaming platforms / IPTV so unless im over my mothers I never see the news anyway.

Far better for the mental health avoiding the news, especially under this shit show of a government.
    Exactly….way too much political nonsense too👍 from one shiiitshow to the next

I’d say so. Generally news that aligns with my world view makes me depressed and news that doesn’t makes me angry. Which it seems like over the last 5-10 most media companies have realized is something that makes them a lot of money and should be encouraged at every turn.

I’ll try to use a few trusted news sources to stay reasonably informed, but I couldn’t tell you when the last time I watched or listened more than 5 minutes of a news show was. Not sure if that makes me stupider but I’d say it definitely makes me happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    It must be about 2 years ago that I started tuning into LBC. James O Brien, Sheila Fogharty et Al. While I agreed with so much that they say about Brexit, Co vid and the corrupt bunch of tossers running the country, I’ve found that I’ve had to stop listening to all of them as they seemed to be adding to my already crappy mood.

Twitters the same for me too. All I see are people I’ve followed who generally hate the tories, but reading what they say, while I agree with them just drags me down.
    I do enjoy my couple of hours listening to James O’Brien each day, especially when he’s got someone squirming on the end of his fishing rod. Particularly enjoy Thursday’s mystery hour.

I think the issue is the world of 24 hr news and internet.

First the former, which meant there was literally 24 hrs of coverage to fill vs about 1.5hrs before. The fact it's on permanently then leads to early reporting of issues before stories have matured slightly which often may only take an hour or two anyway. In the past by the 9pm news the story can be presented more calmly and a fuller picture. Nowadays it's spread around on everyone's phone often in the form of gossip and speculation.

The internet has only exacerbated the issue. When has it ever calmed any news issue as opposed to inflaming it? The need for inflammatory headlines to drive advertising revenue is off the scale now.

That said, I don't buy it that the news is more depressing now. Tell me a period of history that was better or less 'depressing'?

Loads of you on here love bad news. This forum is full of it. It's what many people want unfortunately. I do agree the news should be less inflammatory and more accurate and calm in it's reporting, but is that what you all want? Is that the websites you go to?

James O Brien v the Brexit loons is great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    James O Brien v the Brexit loons is great stuff.
    See, James O'Brien and people like him absolutely belong in that list of media outlets that spread these kind of things. It's people like him, across the political spectrum that fuel this stuff. And they laugh all the way to the bank.

Mike Graham and him being made to look a right dick by the insulate Britain rep by stating you can grow concrete was a brilliant watch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    See, James O'Brien and people like him absolutely belong in that list of media outlets that spread these kind of things. It's people like him, across the political spectrum that fuel this stuff. And they laugh all the way to the bank.
    I listen quite often to JO'B and he just wants a fair world where the poor don't get taken advantage of, where working class people don't become worse off and he won't tolerate discrimination. Not many broadcasters like that. What is so wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I listen quite often to JO'B and he just wants a fair world where the poor don't get taken advantage of, where working class people don't become worse off and he won't tolerate discrimination. Not many broadcasters like that. What is so wrong with that?
    Everyone wants that. He is incredibly misleading that's the issue. Has his agenda and only cites examples from that and always with a very inflammatory position.

Like I said. He knows what to say to get likes and laughs all the way to the bank. He's just a shock jock and they exist across the spectrum.

That's why this survey is missing something. Because the conspiracy theories I cited are all bullshit but it's the kind of things that perhaps his listeners are inclined to believe. So it would have been interesting to open this up more