+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FT: WALES 2 - 4 ARMENIA. Match thread

Re: FT: WALES 2 - 4 ARMENIA. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Page must must go. That was ridiculous. Again.

Whens giggs retrial? He still hasnt been convicted of anything by the way. Just saying......
    I’ve no doubt we would have been in a better position with him, he brought in new players and seem to have a plan.

Huge mistake not replacing him. Whose decision was it to give Page a new deal BEFORE
    A World Cup, stupid stupid stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    What talent? Aside from Brennan Johnson and Ben Davies the rest are championship standard.

Ramsey’s legacy is in tact but it does feel like this is one tournament too far for him.
    Neco Williams, Harry Wilson, Ethan Ampadu, Dan James, David Brooks I think are premier league standard and could survive in the top flight. The rest are border line between prem and championship but I do think we have a good talented squad - just going backwards with Page at the helm

What is Page thinking with that midfield set up....

It didn't work at the WC

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    ... the rest are championship standard.
    Apart from being factually wrong in that these players are playing in sides that play in the top flight, I think Wilson, Williams and Brooks (give him a chance) are comfortable playing in the EPL. There are a few others like Ampadu, Rodon, Mepham and James who are borderline. I think Ward is a decent keeper. Allsop is a championship (at best) keeper. Ward is better.

I'm not saying they are going to set the world alight, but they are decent, technical footballers.

The thing they are missing is guidance from a good tactician. They need someone who can motivate them.

Maybe we are miles off in terms of wages but someone like Hassenhuttl, Farke or Villas-Boas would be nice.

i doubt you'd see a performance like tonight under that calibre of manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Apart from being factually wrong in that these players are playing in sides that play in the top flight, I think Wilson, Williams and Brooks (give him a chance) are comfortable playing in the EPL. There are a few others like Ampadu, Rodon, Mepham and James who are borderline. I think Ward is a decent keeper. Allsop is a championship (at best) keeper. Ward is better.

I'm not saying they are going to set the world alight, but they are decent, technical footballers.

The thing they are missing is guidance from a good tactician. They need someone who can motivate them.

Maybe we are miles off in terms of wages but someone like Hassenhuttl, Farke or Villas-Boas would be nice.

Yeah its got to be remembered page would be league 2 standard at best in club football.

The FAW definitely made a boo boo by giving his contract pre world cup.

Horrendous defending.
    Nothing in the sending off, keeper acting like a demented seal.
    Refs in our league are too soft and give free kicks for nothing. They therefore fall down at any sign of contact. The ref was pretty bad but 2 of their goals were from our lot falling down and expecting a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Page should have gone after the world cup.
    We were lucky against Latvia and our first goal was after a potential Armenia foul.
    This looks like the end of the golden generation of Welsh football.
    Also long throws FFS
    Didn’t the second goal come from a long throw?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Horrendous defending.
    Nothing in the sending off, keeper acting like a demented seal.
    Refs in our league are too soft and give free kicks for nothing. They therefore fall down at any sign of contact. The ref was pretty bad but 2 of their goals were from our lot falling down and expecting a free kick.
    Whereas the sending off was annoying (Moore should know better though) I thought that the ref was decent. (I think that he ignored a dive in the build up to our first goal, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Simple
    No midfield
    Ampadu and Rambo passing the ball around at the back with our defenders …… :-o

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Most of those players you’ve named may be owned by a Premier League club but they are squad players at best and most will probably need to move to a championship club if they want to play regular football.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Neco Williams, Harry Wilson, Ethan Ampadu, Dan James, David Brooks I think are premier league standard and could survive in the top flight. The rest are border line between prem and championship but I do think we have a good talented squad - just going backwards with Page at the helm
    Personally I think all those players fall into the not quite good enough at PL level but excellent or very good at championship level. A bit like Whitts and Bothroyd.
    Same goes for Rodon, Connor Roberts and Mepham.

Ethan Ampadu aside none of these players start very often for their club certainly not regulars.

Neco and Ampadu are still young enough to improve and become regular starters but both, in my mind, have gone backwards.

“Complacent” Wales “humiliated”, but it had been coming.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “Complacent” Wales “humiliated”, but it had been coming.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Good report as always Bob, and you express my sentiments exactly, regarding Page and the team.

We definitively need Brooks replacing Moore (who I'm sure had his mind on his honeymoon more than last night's match) and give Brennan Johnson a more central role. If I had to put money on it though, I have a horrible feeling Page will replace Moore with Bradshaw. Hopefully, if that doesn't happen, we can pick up a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    What is Page thinking with that midfield set up....

It didn't work at the WC
    The game reminded me of the World Cup. Everybody could see the setup was wrong and yet the manager still did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The game reminded me of the World Cup. Everybody could see the setup was wrong and yet the manager still did nothing.
    Neither Rodon or Mepham would defend like that for their clubs. The quality of players they were up against was no better - probably worse - than they're used to playing against. Ramsey as usual sees his role as an interested onlooker, and should never have been given the captaincy over Ben Davies. Page couldn't have put it better ....."Perhaps it was the slap we needed. A little bit of a reality check. Everyone was getting starry-eyed and carried away

After the abysmal performance at the World Cup I was sure our coach (no way is he a manager) Mr Page would have been given a pat on the back and replaced with an experienced Manager. The current squad of players are at best championship standard and one or two are there on reputation only.

Quote Originally Posted by slomaj View Post
    After the abysmal performance at the World Cup I was sure our coach (no way is he a manager) Mr Page would have been given a pat on the back and replaced with an experienced Manager. The current squad of players are at best championship standard and one or two are there on reputation only.
    So if the players are just average then unless some great man motivator is available .....a sort of international warnock .......should we be replacing the manager ?

Page is a terrible manager, he's learned absolutely nothing from his past failures. He keeps picking the midfield 3 of Ramsey, Ampadu & Wilson even though they get ripped apart every time they play as a trio

There's no particular plan involved, just slow, easy to defend passing and then lump it when we get bored (as long as we haven't lost the ball that is). Long balls and long throws rather than building around our best prospect in Johnson. There is a decent side in there being woefully mismanaged

Everything looks so casual, like there are no consequences for failure and there probably aren't, I imagine all the players that were shocking last night will be picked on Monday

Get him gone now while we can still save this campaign

For the next friendly game I would give some of the young players a runout in midfield and see who sinks or swims.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For the next friendly game I would give some of the young players a runout in midfield and see who sinks or SWIMS.
    Take it the games at Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Page is a terrible manager, he's learned absolutely nothing from his past failures. He keeps picking the midfield 3 of Ramsey, Ampadu & Wilson even though they get ripped apart every time they play as a trio
    I was hearing good things about Terry Taylor before he got injured and I believe Sheff Utd were sniffing around. He will probably end up in the Championship next season, so one to keep an eye on alongside J. James, L. Harris, Levitt & Savage, etc. Wilson is not a classical midfielder, so if we are going to have a transition we may as well do it properly. Even Ramsey is better at going forward than defending.

Mepham and Rodon in a central back 2 is absolute suicide, especially with that midfield where Ampadu is the only one trying to run all over the field trying to provide cover. It doesn't take the slightest bit of tactical nous to see that. You can only assume either Page hasn't been watching club games this year or had the arrogance to assume that we'd blow Armenia away going forward so easily that it wouldn't matter if we shipped a few at the back.

Hard to disagree with anything Iwan Roberts said today. If it's not a back 3 with Davies as one of the outside center backs against Turkey we will be lucky to not concede more. It is very unfortunate that Tom Lockyer had his scary incident when he did because based on that performance he'd be the first name on the team sheet next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65938398

Ex-Wales striker Iwan Roberts has rounded on manager Robert Page's tactics and response to the shock Euro 2024 qualifier defeat by Armenia.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65938398

Ex-Wales striker Iwan Roberts has rounded on manager Robert Page's tactics and response to the shock Euro 2024 qualifier defeat by Armenia.
    It's also harder to get out a Page team than it is to get in it!

International

Re: WALES v ARMENIA. Match thread

I was saying how poor we would be without a Bale advantage when before he retired and that we'd have to wait years, for the next tournament, it will be a shame we've been spoilt but the team is weak with no depth and Page is an average 1st division level Manager, it was fun while it lasted.