+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Triangular flags

Triangular flags

This was news to me. Not that “some have suggested…” sounds particularly convincing.

“The origins of such are marker are not 100% confirmed, however some have suggested that the gesture dates back to 1927 when Cardiff City won the FA Cup final against Arsenal and opted to celebrate by changing their square flags to triangles in order to rub their glory in the faces of rivals, Swansea City.”

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cu...a-everton/amp/

Re: Triangular flags

I don't think Swansea were considered rivals back then.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think Swansea were considered rivals back then.
    Just checked to make sure I was right in believing that we'd not played the jacks in a Football League game at the time we won the FA Cup. We were relegated two years after the win over Arsenal and played Swansea in the Second Division in 29/30. The 29,000 that watched a 0-0 draw between the teams at Ninian Park was the biggest crowd we played in front of in a league match that season and there were 22,000 at the Vetch to see the jacks win 1-0, so I'd say there was a rivalry then.

The notion that we used triangular corner flags to spite the jacks is quoted widely on the Internet, so there may be something to it.

Isn’t the rumour from “Twin Towns” ?

Triangular corner flags were introduced for FA Cup winners only.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Triangular corner flags were introduced for FA Cup winners only.
    That's correct, if you went to any ground , even in the 60's and 70's, if they had triangular corner flags you'd know they'd won the F.A. Cup at some point. No idea of or when this custom finished.