+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darren Moore leaves Sheffield Wednesday.

Re: Darren Moore leaves Sheffield Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Colour has nothing to do with it. If it was, they wouldn't have employed him in the first place. Same applies to Patrick Vieira.

Gary O'Neil did a wonderful job keeping Bournemouth up. They were everyone's favourites to go down but they survived with a couple of games to spare and in the process ensured a cut of untold millions next season. Now that's treating a manager poorly, and he's white.

Both O'Neil and Moore were probably the victims of ambitious boards who believe they need a manager with a bit of star quality to take them to where they want to go.
    That is your opinion and I respectfully disagree. Sub concious racism is rife in football. Plenty of concious racism too. Darren Moore himself was racially abused by his own "fans" after the first leg v Peterborough.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That is your opinion and I respectfully disagree. Sub concious racism is rife in football. Plenty of concious racism too. Darren Moore himself was racially abused by his own "fans" after the first leg v Peterborough.
    I tend to agree with you. I think it's a societal problem, or certainly a problem within high end, high pressure managerial rolls. Black footballers had to work hard for acceptance during the 60s 70s and 80s, that obstacle has almost been eradicated, although there are still plenty of racists out there.

There was a thought amongst racists that Black players back then weren't up for a cold Tuesday night in Stoke, that they were Lazy. Nathan Blake was called Lazy by some of our support, even though he was by far our best player, I can't recall Whittington being called Lazy in the same way Blake was, both similar in terms of natural ability.

The next Hurdle for Black footballers (in my opinion) is to break this thought that I believe exists, that they can't perform in high level managerial rolls, in the same way that they weren't considered of value by some people in football when things got tough.

What is the percentage of Black players at the highest level of football? Yet They don't seem to make that step into Management. Why is that? If Frank Lampard was black then I'm certain that he wouldn't have got the opportunities that he has, and he'll get another one. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I tend to agree with you. I think it's a societal problem, or certainly a problem within high end, high pressure managerial rolls. Black footballers had to work hard for acceptance during the 60s 70s and 80s, that obstacle has almost been eradicated, although there are still plenty of racists out there.

There was a thought amongst racists that Black players back then weren't up for a cold Tuesday night in Stoke, that they were Lazy. Nathan Blake was called Lazy by some of our support, even though he was by far our best player, I can't recall Whittington being called Lazy in the same way Blake was, both similar in terms of natural ability.

The next Hurdle for Black footballers (in my opinion) is to break this thought that I believe exists, that they can't perform in high level managerial rolls, in the same way that they weren't considered of value by some people in football when things got tough.

What is the percentage of Black players at the highest level of football? Yet They don't seem to make that step into Management. Why is that? If Frank Lampard was black then I'm certain that he wouldn't have got the opportunities that he has, and he'll get another one. Just my thoughts.
    i dont know if youve forgotton or just providing a selective memory but Whittingham was very often called lazy, in fact he probably got that tag more than Blake with the emergence of forums and social media.

not to decry your post as a whole, but that comparison seems a little disingenuous

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    i dont know if youve forgotton or just providing a selective memory but Whittingham was very often called lazy, in fact he probably got that tag more than Blake with the emergence of forums and social media.

not to decry your post as a whole, but that comparison seems a little disingenuous
    Fair enough, I can't recall it. I can remember people saying that he doesn't tackle or track back, they were more descriptive with their criticism of Whitts, they gave reasons as opposed to the general 'Lazy' tag that was thrusted on Blake. Just my recollection of things, happy to hear other viewpoints or be corrected.

To be fair, there is no indication as to what the schism was between the manager and board at Wednesday and it's not advisable to jump to conclusions.

That is your opinion and I respectfully disagree.
    So you reckon Moore was moved on by the Thai owner who employed him in the first place because of his colour?

I don't. I think it's far more likely that Moore was moved on after losing the owner's confidence because his team blew a big lead last season and eventually got promoted thanks to a last-minute winner in the play-off final.

Moore himself will know the score. He walked out on Doncaster midway through the season to join Sheffield Wednesday. He'll know there is very little loyalty in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So you reckon Moore was moved on by the Thai owner who employed him in the first place because of his colour?

I don't. I think it's far more likely that Moore was moved on after losing the owner's confidence because his team blew a big lead last season and eventually got promoted thanks to a last-minute winner in the play-off final.

Moore himself will know the score. He walked out on Doncaster midway through the season to join Sheffield Wednesday. He'll know there is very little loyalty in this game.

They hardly threw promotion away, they still amassed 96 points which most years gets you promoted and wins the title.

Yes, they had an 8 game blip at the wrong time of the season, it happens in a 46 game season. Prior to that blip they had taken 34 out of 39 points. Ipswich going on a Man City-esque run of 41 points of 45 in their last 15 games was unfortunate for them.

It is an incredibly harsh sacking, more so than Gary O Neils IMO.

Yes, Darren Moore is a big boy and knows theres no loyalty in football but he was a very popular manager at Sheffield Wednesday and the fans are not happy. Well, maybe the racist ones are.

Ron Atkinson labelled a world cup squad frenchmen as a typical lazy nggr

Now Atkinson may have played black talent in his side but that doesn't mean he wasn't a racist . And he certainly was to use that sort of language .

Blakey was sometimes called lazy which was no doubt due the stereotypical view of some of our brain dead with regard to his carribean heritage

The old he goes missing on a Tuesday night in the rain cobblers

I heard witts given the bird by our lot for being laid back and not tracking plenty of times

I never heard him getting any abuse because of his ethnic origin

Sheffield like Cardiff is multi racial but like the owner that's not to say there might not be racist overtones to his sacking

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ron Atkinson labelled a world cup squad frenchmen as a typical lazy nggr

Now Atkinson may have played black talent in his side but that doesn't mean he wasn't a racist . And he certainly was to use that sort of language .

Blakey was sometimes called lazy which was no doubt due the stereotypical view of some of our brain dead with regard to his carribean heritage

The old he goes missing on a Tuesday night in the rain cobblers

I heard witts given the bird by our lot for being laid back and not tracking plenty of times

I never heard him getting any abuse because of his ethnic origin

Sheffield like Cardiff is multi racial but like the owner that's not to say there might not be racist overtones to his sacking
    In fairness, we have absolutely zero evidence to say that Moore was sacked on racial grounds, and i don't think he was. The rest of the stuff you've written, i agree entirely.

They hardly threw promotion away, they still amassed 96 points which most years gets you promoted and wins the title.
    That’s as maybe, but the fact is that Sheffield were top of the table and five points clear of third with two games in hand in mid-March. They ended up third and scraped promotion via the play-offs.

Personally, I don’t believe that race is even a remote element in this particular situation. No doubt it has been in plenty of others, but not this one and not the Palace situation either.

Is there racism in football, as there is in society at large? Of course. Is every bad thing that happens to a person of colour down to racism? Of course not.

The reaction of Wednesday fans seems to be one of genuine amazement - I see Vitor Campelos is being linked with them.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/to...has-left-swfc/

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Unlikely to see him going for the City job if Bulut gets the chop then!
    Not if - when!

And now he’s going to be a league 2 manager.

The Wednesday owner has publicly stated that the schism was caused by Moore's pay demands.
    Whether that is true is another matter, but if this happened, was there a colour dimension to why he and Wednesday parted company?

"... Chansiri shared an open letter on the club’s official site that countered Moore’s comments.

That included going into detail on the demands Moore had, one of which was to be the highest-paid person at the club, as he wanted a contract that was worth around £23,000 a week.

“Darren said he believed he should earn more than the highest paid player, but this is not necessarily correct in football. The proposal was a minimum of around £1.2m per year on a three-year contract.

“He also wanted an increased amount if we signed a player on a higher salary than himself and a 10% increase year on year, then a 100% increase if we achieved promotion to the Premier League."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The Wednesday owner has publicly stated that the schism was caused by Moore's pay demands.
    Whether that is true is another matter, but if this happened, was there a colour dimension to why he and Wednesday parted company?

"... Chansiri shared an open letter on the club’s official site that countered Moore’s comments.

That included going into detail on the demands Moore had, one of which was to be the highest-paid person at the club, as he wanted a contract that was worth around £23,000 a week.

“Darren said he believed he should earn more than the highest paid player, but this is not necessarily correct in football. The proposal was a minimum of around £1.2m per year on a three-year contract.

“He also wanted an increased amount if we signed a player on a higher salary than himself and a 10% increase year on year, then a 100% increase if we achieved promotion to the Premier League."
    Two sides

Moore has now broken his silence on Chansiri's claims and lengthy statement, insisting that he didn't leave because of money. Speaking to Sky Sports, Moore said: "I'm clear on record saying irrespective of what division the club was in our targets were set in mind. When we had the meeting, the vision set at that timescale was just a little bit out of line.

"Amicably we came to an agreement at the time and decided it wasn't right. The decision was made for me to step away and the club to continue.

"That's why, a lot of noise was made at the time, but I never said anything because my emphasis was to allow Sheffield Wednesday to continue and move forward and allow the chairman to bring in a manager of his choice that he felt would take the club forwards. I've got no grievance with that decision.

"It was a private conversation between me and him. I know there was a lot said about the salary - but it was never about the money side of it. It was purely and strictly about the football."

Moore insists he has no issue with the club and wants the best for them this season and in the future, stressing his belief that he thinks he could have led the club to a promotion to the Premier League if he had stayed this season.