Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you’ve stretched yourself on your mortgage you’re naffed

International

Re: If you’ve stretched yourself on your mortgage you’re naffed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh here we go again it's drakeford

Not Thatcher, Cameron , May , Boris , Truss and Mr Liar

It's all drakefords fault
    Yep he's got triple council tax in Wales tourist areas, my mates sold two and bought in Torquay.

Less tourism is not good for Pembroke, there is feck all else there, he also wants a tourist tax.

Tell him about the worst possible ideas for the economy or Wales in general, and he'll implement them.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yep he's got triple council tax in Wales tourist areas, my mates sold two and bought in Torquay.

Less tourism is not good for Pembroke, there is feck all else there, he also wants a tourist tax.

Tell him about the worst possible ideas for the economy or Wales in general, and he'll implement them.
    Business owners are freaking out in Pembrokeshire, was there last week, boiling hot, dead as a dodo, just like it was when I went at Easter. Tenby will always get full in august but that isn’t enough to sustain the rest of the year despite the crazy prices they charge for food etc…

International

So the real problem is that labour might be the next government ?

Not the idiots who have got us in this mess in the first place ?

The ruination of the housing situation in this country was started by thatchers deregulation of council and private housing , encouraging private landlords to make MASSIVE PROFITS through buy to let and fostering the stupid desire of people who couldn't afford it to push the boat out and go in too deep

Feckin Tories
    Labour wanted to lock down forever, feck the economy long-term furlough was Kiers answer and Drakeford wanted permanent furlough.

It's Covid especially the overreaction and closing of the economy and a five-year Brexit blockage that's screwed the economy more than it should have been, Labour played a massive part in both.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Business owners are freaking out in Pembrokeshire, was there last week, boiling hot, dead as a dodo, just like it was when I went at Easter. Tenby will always get full in august but that isn’t enough to sustain the rest of the year despite the crazy prices they charge for food etc…
    Bollocks

I am down Pentlepoir and Saundersfoot regularly, its just as busy as its always been.

Always a mate with you Feedy. Always got a mate for this, a mate for that. An ointment for every sore.

All these mates and yet you spend half your waking hours on here.

International

Yep another mate like you just used it for himself family and a few friends now has to rent his place out to pay the bills, although with £140 clean and refresh, and the price of gas and electric and wear and tear he's still not going to cover the costs even. The daily rate is a lot. Of course it's not busy now, until the Summer six weeks and the iron man, so next year he will sell. Maybe a local can stretch to buy it but then that will be less tourists, replicate that through Wales and lefties will be crying saying the Tories have ruined the tourist industry in West Wales.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Always a mate with you Feedy. Always got a mate for this, a mate for that. An ointment for every sore.

All these mates and yet you spend half your waking hours on here.
    Ha ha I can't being popular, doesn't everyone have mates?

An hour today how long have you been on?

You'd be better off selling sand to the arabs mate.

International

Oh here we go again it's drakeford

Not Thatcher, Cameron , May , Boris , Truss and Mr Liar

It's all drakefords fault
    Well for Wales yes?

None of them triple council taxes, reduced speeds, wanted longer lockdowns, not travel five miles, stop improvements on the M4, run the welsh NHS into the ground, buy and ignore the airport, etc

Labour wanted to lock down forever
    One of Boris Johnson's favourite lies.
    How's he getting on these days?

Well for Wales yes?

None of them triple council taxes, reduced speeds, wanted longer lockdowns, not travel five miles, stop improvements on the M4, run the welsh NHS into the ground, buy and ignore the airport, etc
    The Welsh NHS gets its money from the Tories in London

You daft feck

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You'd be better off selling sand to the arabs mate.
    He's not getting me to vote Tory

No chance

International

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    One of Boris Johnson's favourite lies.
    How's he getting on these days?
    Didn't you ever see Ashworth, Kier, Stugeon, and Drakeford saying we should lockdown longer as Boris was being reckless on the news, because everyone else did, they were on every day.

International

The Welsh NHS gets its money from the Tories in London

You daft feck
    And mismanaged it you dope.

And mismanaged it you dope.
    Mismanagement is common all over the NHS

Do you think all the people in Devon are chuffed with what they get ?

You are a one eyed tory clown and I hope you get a beating at the election and naff off to Rwanda

International

Mismanagement is common all over the NHS

Do you think all the people in Devon are chuffed with what they get ?

You are a one eyed tory clown and I hope you get a beating at the election and naff off to Rwanda
    Leave it to the grown-ups sludge you don't know what day of the week it is.

Leave it to the grown-ups sludge you don't know what day of the week it is.
    Shut it Larry

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    And I know a lot of people did and took advantage of the extra money they could borrow

That coupled with higher inflation across the board meaning people are really going to struggle. I do wonder what London is going through as no doubt with the downturn bonus’s and wages won’t keep pace.
    I find it odd that landlords are shocked.

I sold my two buy to let houses around 8 months before CoVid lockdown. Clearly I did not see CoVid coming but I took the view that the property would be a target for the green-eyed, chords-wearing, sandwich-box carrying pen-pushers at HMRC.

The first signal was Osborne’s tapering relief of mortgage interest relief. The second was the “discussion” (yeah sure, just a discussion!) of Section 21 evictions. With government debt escalating, increasing negative bleating from Tenant Associations and sweaty politicians whinging about landlords, I took the view that both Labour and Tory governments were looking to rinse landlords of their wealth, via both capital, wealth and income taxes. I smelt the wind and it was an unattractive aroma.

Since then, as predicted, the noise has only increased. The Welsh government issued their “landlord licence”, taxes on second home came in, and tenant rights have increased whilst landlords Section 21 rights were effectively removed. Only the fool waits for the train crash to arrive. When there is a clear motivation to tax more (government debt), and a a coupleof instances of political agreement on both sides on policy, they are rarely the last policy implementation and it keeps going. HMRC are like a drunk’s bladder - once the seal has gone and resistance broken, it turns to a flood. History shows it. My political antenna proved correct, and the call to exit the market was a great one. With post-tax net profits of £870,000 on two initial buy to let investments of £250k I don’t mind admitting I feel a little smug. (Applause) Thank you.

I just have my own residential house now as a property. Just the one. One cannot be too greedy all the time! I was four years too early getting out of the buy to let market, but with such handsome returns I did at least dodge the removal of 100% mortgage interest tapering relief, idiotic restrictions on Section 21, barbaric increasing rights of tenants and what will no doubt be further capital gains tax, wealth tax or whatever pet wheeze Starmer’s cabal will introduce. When there are people like Ed Miliband and Diane Abbot amongst the plebs, one cannot establish confidence that they will be more thoughtful than the current nincompoops in blue. I calculate that the total IQ of the house of parliament would probably not exceed 4,800. Possibly the Old Etonians, Old Harrovians and old Westminsterians would raise the average somewhat, despite their lack of clear, practical common sense.

But what to do? My combined ISAs, SIPP and trading portfolios now hold a shy nudge over half a million and I need to find a home for this extra £870k to continue the capital gains and tax free incomes. First world problems, but important. I moved out of the markets and into cash about a year ago due to anticipated political stability, anticipation of interest rate rises, and a recession, based on my economic indicators. I was a tad early on selling my shares but the call there also looks correct am eyeing up shares that have been hard hit, to pick up some meat off the carcass there. I think interest rates may go to 5.5-6% so more pain to come I’m afraid in residential and commercial real estate, cyclical share markets, bonds, credit markets, private equity and venture capital. As any shrewd investor knows, these are alll interest sensitive markets that move inverse with interest rates. I shall keep my hands clean then until the rinsing and neck-wringing is done in these asset markets. As Nathan Rothchild said: “Buy when there is blood on the streets”. The the returns should be colossal looking forward.

I am sitting very pretty just shy of 50 but there will be another time or another country for buy to let, and I suspect not my last ride. If and when prices fall hard, I think investing in tax-free REITS in commercial property will be a good initial move. Yields should be good and tax free capital gains to play for, away from HMRC’s roving eyes. Once the tax collection base falls and the government’s policy proves to be a failure (which it will), and they return to their senses on buy to let, I shall revisit heavily and buy bigger. Perhaps my final hurrah in that asset class. Until then, I shall be trading the markets in legal tax free vehicles to fund my retirement abroad. Happy days.

“Investors of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your capital gains.” I think Marx said that. Maybe Groucho Marx. Good man. He realised that one must take care of one’s own affairs with a discerning hard nose - as others are always looking for a free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

I sold my two buy to let houses around 8 months before CoVid lockdown. Clearly I did not see CoVid coming but I took the view that the property would be a target for the green-eyed, chords-wearing, sandwich-box carrying pen-pushers at HMRC.

The first signal was Osborne’s tapering relief of mortgage interest relief. The second was the “discussion” (yeah sure, just a discussion!) of Section 21 evictions. With government debt escalating, increasing negative bleating from Tenant Associations and sweaty politicians whinging about landlords, I took the view that both Labour and Tory governments were looking to rinse landlords of their wealth, via both capital, wealth and income taxes. I smelt the wind and it was an unattractive aroma.

Since then, as predicted, the noise has only increased. The Welsh government issued their “landlord licence”, taxes on second home came in, and tenant rights have increased whilst landlords Section 21 rights were effectively removed. Only the fool waits for the train crash to arrive. When there is a clear motivation to tax more (government debt), and a a coupleof instances of political agreement on both sides on policy, they are rarely the last policy implementation and it keeps going. HMRC are like a drunk’s bladder - once the seal has gone and resistance broken, it turns to a flood. History shows it. My political antenna proved correct, and the call to exit the market was a great one. With post-tax net profits of £870,000 on two initial buy to let investments of £250k I don’t mind admitting I feel a little smug. (Applause) Thank you.

I just have my own residential house now as a property. Just the one. One cannot be too greedy all the time! I was four years too early getting out of the buy to let market, but with such handsome returns I did at least dodge the removal of 100% mortgage interest tapering relief, idiotic restrictions on Section 21, barbaric increasing rights of tenants and what will no doubt be further capital gains tax, wealth tax or whatever pet wheeze Starmer’s cabal will introduce. When there are people like Ed Miliband and Diane Abbot amongst the plebs, one cannot establish confidence that they will be more thoughtful than the current nincompoops in blue. I calculate that the total IQ of the house of parliament would probably not exceed 4,800. Possibly the Old Etonians, Old Harrovians and old Westminsterians would raise the average somewhat, despite their lack of clear, practical common sense.

But what to do? My combined ISAs, SIPP and trading portfolios now hold a shy nudge over half a million and I need to find a home for this extra £870k to continue the capital gains and tax free incomes. First world problems, but important. I moved out of the markets and into cash about a year ago due to anticipated political stability, anticipation of interest rate rises, and a recession, based on my economic indicators. I was a tad early on selling my shares but the call there also looks correct am eyeing up shares that have been hard hit, to pick up some meat off the carcass there. I think interest rates may go to 5.5-6% so more pain to come I’m afraid in residential and commercial real estate, cyclical share markets, bonds, credit markets, private equity and venture capital. As any shrewd investor knows, these are alll interest sensitive markets that move inverse with interest rates. I shall keep my hands clean then until the rinsing and neck-wringing is done in these asset markets. As Nathan Rothchild said: “Buy when there is blood on the streets”. The the returns should be colossal looking forward.

I am sitting very pretty just shy of 50 but there will be another time or another country for buy to let, and I suspect not my last ride. If and when prices fall hard, I think investing in tax-free REITS in commercial property will be a good initial move. Yields should be good and tax free capital gains to play for, away from HMRC’s roving eyes. Once the tax collection base falls and the government’s policy proves to be a failure (which it will), and they return to their senses on buy to let, I shall revisit heavily and buy bigger. Perhaps my final hurrah in that asset class. Until then, I shall be trading the markets in legal tax free vehicles to fund my retirement abroad. Happy days.

“Investors of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your capital gains.” I think Marx said that. Maybe Groucho Marx. Good man. He realised that one must take care of one’s own affairs with a discerning hard nose - as others are always looking for a free ride.
    Lend me 20 quid until I gets my memory back!

Bollocks

I am down Pentlepoir and Saundersfoot regularly, its just as busy as its always been.
    Well my let is quite this year, my neighbour down there runs 10 lets, never known it so quiet she says, my cleaner looks after 35 says a lot haven’t even filled the 6 weeks school holidays and she’s having to let staff go. Whadda we know tho eh? I’m sure the caravan parks owned by the big multis will be ok….

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

You bought two buy to let’s for a total of 250k and made almost 900,000 profit when you sold? Crikey….that’s a lot of CGT no?

Lot of CGT yes. The investments were 250k. That was the starting equity. The house values were around £450k and £500k on the purchase price so about 40-50% put down. I was repayment not interest-free so some equity was paid off with the rental income, and some into my arse pocket. Yes a fair clump of CGT, but I was always open minded that it may or may not have have been long term.

As always the ideal is to hold property until mortgage is paid off, but if the tax treatment takes away your rental income profits then my goals were killed, as I hoped it would pay off the mortgage and given me around 6k a month retirement income. The tapering was done over four years, increasing at 25% a year. I did it in year one and took the capital gains instead (Plan B). Sure a whack of tax, but a nice hefty figure noneoftheless.

As with all trades and investment, you should always have a Plan B, an exit plan, and knowing when enough is enough. Natural any investor want to maximise profits by legally minimizing taxes. But to let tax drive your entire decision when you have done well (and if you suspect the business case for your investment will worsen) doesn’t make sense.

As the legendary John D Rockefeller said “Nobody went bust taking a profit”.

Well my let is quite this year, my neighbour down there runs 10 lets, never known it so quiet she says, my cleaner looks after 35 says a lot haven’t even filled the 6 weeks school holidays and she’s having to let staff go. Whadda we know tho eh? I’m sure the caravan parks owned by the big multis will be ok….
    Well you can blame your precious Tories for that. Lost control of the economy and inflation, rising interest rates every other week, people can’t afford to have as many holidays or little breaks away that they once had.

I’m sure you were all happy with the covid help all you holiday letters got from the government though. I know people who barely rented out their private holiday home “holiday lets” getting £10k handouts.

Long term renters in Merthyr being kicked out so their houses can be let out as air BnB for the bike park. Rent going far beyond what people can afford as a result. Hopefully the triple council tax will be introduced in Merthyr next.

It’s about time the shoe was on the other foot. Greedy Landlords and holiday letters have had it too good for too long.

Well you can blame your precious Tories for that. Lost control of the economy and inflation, rising interest rates every other week, people can’t afford to have as many holidays or little breaks away that they once had.

I’m sure you were all happy with the covid help all you holiday letters got from the government though. I know people who barely rented out their private holiday home “holiday lets” getting £10k handouts.

Long term renters in Merthyr being kicked out so their houses can be let out as air BnB for the bike park. Rent going far beyond what people can afford as a result. Hopefully the triple council tax will be introduced in Merthyr next.

It’s about time the shoe was on the other foot. Greedy Landlords and holiday letters have had it too good for too long.
    My precious Tories lol….next time your hanging out with them all in oh so posh Saundersfoot, ask em…..

International

Its a Welsh thing the triple council tax?

People will holiday in Torquay instead of Tenby, how is that good for the Welsh economy, as it depends on tourism.

Let's ban the English during covid and make them feel unwelcome let's triple the Council tax and make holiday letting a flat more expensive, let's bring in a tourism tax.

What do you think will happen when he successfully kills off tourism in Pembroke, what will be left for the community?

But the kids will be able to buy a house in the local community, oh bugger no they won't because they won't have a job!