+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ocean

The Ocean

I found this while reading a thread about the missing submarine.

It’s a great look at the depth of the ocean and what creatures reside at the varying depths.

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

Re: The Ocean

Fascinating stuff. I'm amazed that anyone could dive to nearly 1000ft. Don't think I'd have much faith in that sub, sounds like it was made in someone's garage in their spare time ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

It’s a great look at the depth of the ocean and what creatures reside at the varying depths.

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/
    Thanks for posting that - absolutely mind-blowing!
    The Orange Roughy can live to a staggering two hundred years, wow!

The Hadal zone (I forgot the correct spelling).. more people have been to the moon than to this depth of the ocean.

Those two guys in that submarine, who went to such a depth, that few living creatures can survive... amazing courage!

I may be overly cautious, but I wouldn't get in any submarine that used a games console controller to operate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I may be overly cautious, but I wouldn't get in any submarine that used a games console controller to operate it.
    It seems very janky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Mad isn’t it!

Mad isn’t it!
    elephant seals diving to 2400 metres is just mad

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    elephant seals diving to 2400 metres is just mad
    It blew my mind!

The Hadal zone (I forgot the correct spelling).. more people have been to the moon than to this depth of the ocean.

Those two guys in that submarine, who went to such a depth, that few living creatures can survive... amazing courage!
    Incredible, isn't it? Back on land, The 'Orange Roughy' is usually a Grandmother by the age of 30 in Ely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Incredible, isn't it? Back on land, The 'Orange Roughy' is usually a Grandmother by the age of 30 in Ely.
    Similar lips too.

Similar lips too.
    Really good site that mate. Had half hour not working looking at that

Brilliant watch. I can almost understand how fish etc can survive those depths but i have no idea how mammals can. You'd think the pressure would crush their lungs.

I'm sat in a bar right now, I read your post and had a mouthful of beer which ultimately came back up through my nose!

I'm sat in a bar right now, I read your post and had a mouthful of beer which ultimately came back up through my nose!
    Sorry!

Similar lips too.

Sorry!
    I couldn't even begin to translate what you said to the others in this bar, it would be lost on them.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    RIP

That’s a shame.

I think it's fascinating

But as for going down to the depths

Or wild water swimming

Or getting into a cage and watching great whites off northern california ?

Naa

You are still watching through a window.

Might as well watch on a huge HD telly.

I just don't get the hype.

RIP.

Saw plenty of the Titanic via video when I went to Belfast.

i get why rich people, bored with the mundane, want to explore. Everest, Antartica, the moon, the depths of the ocean. but at least get in a proper submarine. couldnt pay me 250k to get in that thing. Its obviously a shame, for their families. but these guys clearly didnt care if they lived or died so we shouldnt either.

the contrast in coverage of some rich guys V migrants death at sea is a stark one also.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You are still watching through a window.

Might as well watch on a huge HD telly.

I just don't get the hype.

RIP.
    Im not even sure these subs that go down to the depths have windows due to pressurization. Its one big solid tube and all the viewing is done from an external camera with an internal monitor. So yeah effectively your watching on a big screen as you say which begs the question whats the point of going down there when a robot submersible can go down and beam the footage back to the ship up above.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Im not even sure these subs that go down to the depths have windows due to pressurization. Its one big solid tube and all the viewing is done from an external camera with an internal monitor. So yeah effectively your watching on a big screen as you say which begs the question whats the point of going down there when a robot submersible can go down and beam the footage back to the ship up above.
    for £250k a trip would seal them in a metal tube and pretend they were going down to the bottom of the sea, then play them some video clips of the titanic from a robot sub

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Deep sea vessels do sometimes have windows. If you read the page that started this thread, a window cracked when a vessel went down to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. They still carried on though 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Deep sea vessels do sometimes have windows. If you read the page that started this thread, a window cracked when a vessel went down to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. They still carried on though 😕
    Evidently the window on this sub was only certified to about half the depth that they were diving to.