+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russia /Progozhin : Why, when, options & predictions

Re: Russia /Progozhin : Why, when, options & predictions

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I don't think he gives a shit about Ukrainians. However they are in the early days of an offensive. 30k Wagnerians going off to the Motherland, taking over the city that is a key command centre, tying up military commanders in an internal fight is bad enough without the impact on the morale of an ever increasing conscript army fighting a war on a foreign land they may not believe in.

I would have thought that those Ukrainians that support its government and its armed forces will be happy as pigs in shit today!
    Well, put that way Cyril, you have a point None of us know the long term affects though, and i suppose that the people of Ukraine will take any crumb of comfort or destabilisation towards Putin. It just seems to me, with a limited knowledge, that this new headcase isn't in it for peace, love and democracy. It's a case of Bullies turning on Bullies, at some point there will still be a bully, but with more power than before.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    that would be like taking your boss and his family hostage because you didn't get the pay rise you wanted.
    sounds a bit far fetched to me
    Tell that to Prigozhin. He would get smashed up anyway, sounds like he hasn't thought this one through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well, put that way Cyril, you have a point None of us know the long term affects though, and i suppose that the people of Ukraine will take any crumb of comfort or destabilisation towards Putin. It just seems to me, with a limited knowledge, that this new headcase isn't in it for peace, love and democracy. It's a case of Bullies turning on Bullies, at some point there will still be a bully, but with more power than before.
    Reports seem to be that he has called a halt. What that means in the short to medium term is anyone's guess and what Putin had to agree for that to happen. If you were Russian today though the idea of him being the strong man that they seem to thirst for looks a lot less likely. The walls may be closing in on Vlad once he loses the aura of invincibility!

Reports seem to be that he has called a halt. What that means in the short to medium term is anyone's guess and what Putin had to agree for that to happen. If you were Russian today though the idea of him being the strong man that they seem to thirst for looks a lot less likely. The walls may be closing in on Vlad once he loses the aura of invincibility!
    Hopefully Cyril.

He's done a Grand Old Duke Of York

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

"No successful generals make a move with a small army without knowing you have support"

When did he become a successful general? I must have missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "No successful generals make a move with a small army without knowing you have support"

When did he become a successful general? I must have missed that.
    He actually owns a catering company as well. It's ****ing bizzare.

all over according to my son...talks have been had and the wags are backing off

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He actually owns a catering company as well. It's ****ing bizzare.
    He's a Little Chef

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    What motivates Progozhin?

Money. Power. What doesn’t motivate him? Ukraine. That is Putin’s pet project. Progozhin was a businessman to get wealthy. He ran Wagner to get wealthy. All he wants is a quiet end to his career and wealth. Get control of Russia and he makes himself super rich. He doesn’t care about Ukraine.

What will be his approach?

He is shrewd enough to know the Russians are bogged down, out of money, demoralized in Ukraine. He is a tactical winner and knows this war is a dead duck. The view that he only has 25,000 troops and will fail is a weak analysis and doesn’t factor in “sleepers” and information outside of the obvious data. With his choice of city he not only has access to Moscow, but corners off supply lines to Ukraine. So he says to Rusky troops in Ukraine “You are losing. Supplies will run out. You will die. Come with me and we will win v Putin. I always win. Join me and I will reward you”. A simple sales pitch by a successful general. Russian troops will see their folly, or smell the bait, and join him.

Who will back him?

He has political contacts. Ex-KGB contacts. Probably a few oligarchs on his side. He would not risk his entire career unless his spies and moles have given him tacit support, 50/50 odds or a promise to set aside. No successful generals make a move with a small army without knowing you have support. If you want evidence see how he has taken Rostov with ease. Russian troops and generals will turn and support him too. This isn’t 10,000-25,000 troops. There wil be “sleepers” already sounded out to support him.

How can get people onside? What is in it for them?

Politics is always about motives and incentives, where power is concerned. Appeal to people’s personal motives. This is easy. Oligarchs want peaceful business continuity and no war. Russian people want peace. Troops want a successful war or none at all, and recognition. Same for Wagner. EU / NATO want Ukraine. Ukranians want peace. All he has to do is convince Oligarchs they can continue to be rich (and give some), promise Russians peace, promise troops they will be well paid, promise generals their continued support, and leave Ukraine alone. Everyone will be onside apart from an isolated Putin. Russians value power and laugh at weakness. All these people will get what they want and back him. He will get more wealth than he could have imagined by controlling Russia and does not need Ukraine as that was Putin’s project. He will be happy.

What for Ukraine?

The turn of support for him by Russian troops means the NATO, with some lag time, and take ground. Air attacks may continue until Progozhin gets control of military. Then peace and rebuilding. Join EU. Becomes wealthy with foreign investment.

What for economics / markets?

Inflation drops (energy markets stabilise, food and grain exports revert to normal.. Interest rates drop. Financial markets may boom again. Money will be made by those reconstructing the Ukraine, winning contracts from post-war funding.

Do I want him to win?

Progozhin will win. No military general would take this approach unless he is fairly sure, or it would be suicide. I also want him to win. He is a thug and a murderer, but the war stops, Ukraine rebuilds and a China ally is sidelined then this is realpolitik - not a good choice but the least worst. So I want him
    to win.

How might he fail?

If Putin is super clever he would have traps set in place. He isn’t a mug either. If he has double agents that lead Progozhin to believe that he has support prior to invading Moscow, only for Progozhin to commit all his resources and attack Moscow, only to find the support was false, that would end Progozhin‘s attempts and he would be rounded up and killed.

Russian politics is riddled with power games and backstabbing. Has Putin put these traps in place? Or has he misread the threat of Progozhin? I think everything rests on that calculation.
    "Progiloshin will win". Hardly.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    that would be like taking your boss and his family hostage because you didn't get the pay rise you wanted.
    sounds a bit far fetched to me
    It worked for Clark Griswold.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    "Progiloshin will win". Hardly.
    "Progozhin", that it. Not sure what happened with the spelling there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Its amazing the varying levels of expertise on this board.

I was amazed how many were light aircraft aficionados when Salas plane went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I was amazed how many were light aircraft aficionados when Salas plane went down.
    We're blessed

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We're blessed
    Considering the amount of time the experts spend on the board its a wonder they have time to pursue other hobbies.

Suppose its lucky Google is but a fingertip away.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Yup, one massive bell end on here became an expert in Turbo Prop planes and flying without instruments (Not a Trumpet i don't think) There's some experts on here, that's for sure. Thank god they give up all of their spare time educating us on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    We're blessed

There were supposed to be an estimated 25,000 Wagner in and around Ukraine. When Russia carried out an artillery and helicopter strike on those mercenaries, it wasn't with the intention of wiping the whole Wagner group out. After all, they may be mercenaries but they're predominantly Russians at the end of the day.

No, their target was specific, one man (and any necessary collateral in the process)...Progozhin!
    Without him, there is no Wagner. He knew the Russian military was trying to assassinate him and therefore by making noises about marching to Moscow and destroying everything that stood in their way, it was the only way he could negotiate a "Get Out Of Jail Card" for himself.
    He's a 'dead man walking' in Belarus, his exile will be temporary there until such a time he can find a safe haven for himself. I think he has an international arrest warrant; he's certainly not going to enjoy those billions he's got in the way he probably envisaged.