+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supermarket Bosses in front of MPs

Re: Supermarket Bosses in front of MPs

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    its not just unhealthy stuff though, you can get a prep'ed salad / a pasta salad / a healthier wrap for the main, a pot / cup of fruit, a OJ / Apple juice / or a smoothie for a drink

If we are arguing the price though, you can get a Costa express as the drink in the meal deal, which then turns it into a decent Lunch for a decent price

While visiting my mum in the heath Hospital I often get a boots or WH smiths Meal deal, if im early for visiting I pop over to the Tesco's as they have slightly more choice
    I thought the headilne said

Meal deals with a high fat, sugar or salt content will be restricted in Wales under plans to tackle obesity and diabetes.

Why would that have an impact on you getting a prep'ed salad / a pasta salad / a healthier wrap for the main, a pot / cup of fruit, a OJ / Apple juice / or a smoothie for a drink?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Meal deals with a high fat, sugar or salt content will be restricted in Wales under plans to tackle obesity and diabetes.

Why would that have an impact on you getting a prep'ed salad / a pasta salad / a healthier wrap for the main, a pot / cup of fruit, a OJ / Apple juice / or a smoothie for a drink?
    if it affects how supermarkets can value the entire range it might well have a knock on effect for these sorts of things too. not like the supermarkets need more than half a reason to up the price of things!

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    If it’s still £3 (which given the subject of this thread it won’t be),that’s £60 a month for a few cheese sandwiches and salty fried potatoes.

What are your thoughts on cigarettes, should they be cheaper/taxed less?
    well smoking isnt quite the same thing but its still a good point. you wont get fat by me eating crisps next to you, but if i smoked 20 a day next to you it could damage your health.

i can be contented with a middle ground of extra tax on the very worst legal things you can buy like smoking, and i guess alcohol even though i moaned about that earlier. Fizzy drinks i guess as well considering the sheer amount of sugar in some of them.

Politics is a moral vaccum anyway but it becomes so obviously pathetic when you start to look at it through taxation of cigarettes. if your local heroine dealer had the attitude of "this is so bad for you im just going to keep raising the price, im doing you a favour because its bad for your health... you can still buy it though! you just have to pay more"

Back to food, and speaking from experience, the link between obesity and mental health is a strong one. education and a long term plan to tackle both the physical and mental is a much better plan for politicians, and much more in line with the job they are supposed to be doing, but its not as "sexy" as going after supermarkets. What about the takeaway industry if food is your target? all the crap they put in Chinese food, the year on year profits of dominos etc etc. There is a long list of things id put above £3 meal deals that have a direct impact on obesity

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    well smoking isnt quite the same thing but its still a good point. you wont get fat by me eating crisps next to you, but if i smoked 20 a day next to you it could damage your health.

i can be contented with a middle ground of extra tax on the very worst legal things you can buy like smoking, and i guess alcohol even though i moaned about that earlier. Fizzy drinks i guess as well considering the sheer amount of sugar in some of them.

Politics is a moral vaccum anyway but it becomes so obviously pathetic when you start to look at it through taxation of cigarettes. if your local heroine dealer had the attitude of "this is so bad for you im just going to keep raising the price, im doing you a favour because its bad for your health... you can still buy it though! you just have to pay more"

Back to food, and speaking from experience, the link between obesity and mental health is a strong one. education and a long term plan to tackle both the physical and mental is a much better plan for politicians, and much more in line with the job they are supposed to be doing, but its not as "sexy" as going after supermarkets. What about the takeaway industry if food is your target? all the crap they put in Chinese food, the year on year profits of dominos etc etc. There is a long list of things id put above £3 meal deals that have a direct impact on obesity
    You make some very good points with regards mental health and education. And I'm pleased that now, rather than thinking that it's just to be different to England, you're thinking the WAG should go further. I fully agree with you regards takeaways and so on. We won't see short term results but I hope it leads to a healthier Wales in years to come. The only thing I'd like to see (maybe it is the case) would be the increased taxation on things like takeaways ringfenced for the NHS in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Not sure on where Supermarkets will draw the line, surely the customer can choose, I might fancy a " Pasta Pot ( healthy ), with some Max Strong Hot Crisps and a Costa "

So a healthy " main " with a side of " unhealthy " and a Costa Coffee

Does the " Man ** " really need to micro-manage what I eat ? ? as some point the customer ( me ) has to take some responsibly , as ultimately I can just walk down the the aisle and buy a trolley load of chocolate and Vodka ( which I am sure is unhealthy )

** other sexes are available

Not sure on where Supermarkets will draw the line, surely the customer can choose, I might fancy a " Pasta Pot ( healthy ), with some Max Strong Hot Crisps and a Costa "

So a healthy " main " with a side of " unhealthy " and a Costa Coffee

Does the " Man ** " really need to micro-manage what I eat ? ? as some point the customer ( me ) has to take some responsibly , as ultimately I can just walk down the the aisle and buy a trolley load of chocolate and Vodka ( which I am sure is unhealthy )

** other sexes are available
    Noone is micro-managing what you eat, you can buy whatever you want. You will still be able to buy your unhealthy crisps with your pasta and coffee.
    As for the vodka, they've increased the cost of that because it's unhealthy

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Noone is micro-managing what you eat, you can buy whatever you want. You will still be able to buy your unhealthy crisps with your pasta and coffee.
    As for the vodka, they've increased the cost of that because it's unhealthy
    they are though

So my unhealthy Crisps might not make the " meal deal " But I can walk down Aisle 14 and buy a sharing pack of the same crisps or Aisle 15 and get a 6 pack multi pack of the same crisps, same goes for the evil that is " energy drinks " not in the meal deal as its unhealthy, but I can go and buy it from the shelf in a 6 pack

Doesnt make sense and as I said, ultimately I have to take responsibility on what eat, Most people I know will not need the government ( this is the welsh one, so only effects me when I come up to see my mum ) to help them decide what to eat in my meal deal

they are though

So my unhealthy Crisps might not make the " meal deal " But I can walk down Aisle 14 and buy a sharing pack of the same crisps or Aisle 15 and get a 6 pack multi pack of the same crisps, same goes for the evil that is " energy drinks " not in the meal deal as its unhealthy, but I can go and buy it from the shelf in a 6 pack

Doesnt make sense and as I said, ultimately I have to take responsibility on what eat, Most people I know will not need the government ( this is the welsh one, so only effects me when I come up to see my mum ) to help them decide what to eat in my meal deal
    The issue with this idea of "responsibility" is that the majority of people are able to behave responsibly when they need to. However, try as you might, there's a sizeable minority of people who are unable to embrace "responsibility" and those people suffer most. In my opinion they need societal help and it behoves all of us to support them

they are though

No they aren't. They're going to be restricted in meal deals. Like you say you can go and get your multipacks or whatever but not as part of the cheaper deal. So you can still fill your boots just pay a bit more.
    Like others have said there are healthier options available in the meal deals. I'd hazard a guess that supermarkets will sell more of these as a result. I think that's the idea.