+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nugget or Noogar

Nugget or Noogar

Answer to a question on The Chase was ‘nougat’, the contestant had it right, pronouncing it ‘noogar’. Me and the missus both said at the same time that we’ve always called it ‘nugget’ and would Bradley have said “wrong” had we answered with that pronunciation. Rightly or wrongly (it’s wrongly, I know), it’s always been nugget to me and always will be. Anyone else on the nugget side with us?

Re: Nugget or Noogar

I’m with you. Pink & White

Sorry it’s nougat , same as Caroline Street

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Answer to a question on The Chase was ‘nougat’, the contestant had it right, pronouncing it ‘noogar’. Me and the missus both said at the same time that we’ve always called it ‘nugget’ and would Bradley have said “wrong” had we answered with that pronunciation. Rightly or wrongly (it’s wrongly, I know), it’s always been nugget to me and always will be. Anyone else on the nugget side with us?
    For a minute i though it said 'Nugent or Nogan.

This is an example where someone has deemed there to be a right and wrong answer whereby both pronunciations are used, the version without pronouncing the 't' being closer to the French root of the word. Many so-called linguistic rules are nothing of the sort but simply the most popular versions recorded by certain individuals at a particular point in time and often in a particular geographical area. Bizarrely, some of those recording usage decided to the letter 'b' to Norman French words that entered the English language so that the words were more akin to their Latin root even though the French Norman word did not contain that letter e.g. doubt, debt and subtle.
    There are a myriad of other wacky things that were foisted upon us at school that don't really hold water as the ONLY way to write and speak if you delve deeply into Linguistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    This is an example where someone has deemed there to be a right and wrong answer whereby both pronunciations are used, the version without pronouncing the 't' being closer to the French root of the word. Many so-called linguistic rules are nothing of the sort but simply the most popular versions recorded by certain individuals at a particular point in time and often in a particular geographical area. Bizarrely, some of those recording usage decided to the letter 'b' to Norman French words that entered the English language so that the words were more akin to their Latin root even though the French Norman word did not contain that letter e.g. doubt, debt and subtle.
    There are a myriad of other wacky things that were foisted upon us at school that don't really hold water as the ONLY way to write and speak if you delve deeply into Linguistics.
    There we go then, it’s nugget..............

I grew up calling it 'nuggat'

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I grew up calling it 'nuggat'
    Garridge or Gararzh?
    Scon or Scone?
    Latte or Lahrtay?

What was the question?

Preemark or Pryemark?

One of my favourite cereals of a morning is a bowl of Golden Noogars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    For a minute i though it said 'Nugent or Nogan.

Now we’re talking my language.

Bizarrely, some of those recording usage decided to the letter 'b' to Norman French words that entered the English language so that the words were more akin to their Latin root even though the French Norman word did not contain that letter e.g. doubt, debt and subtle.
    Another nugget/nougat picked up from CCMB. Here's your homework then. Modern day French subtle is subtil(e). So if there was no b when was that added?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Another nugget/nougat picked up from CCMB. Here's your homework then. Modern day French subtle is subtil(e). So if there was no b when was that added?
    It happened in both languages in the 16th/17th century, it seems. It supposedly wasn't there in what is considered to be 'Old French' (8th to 14th century) and which was foisted upon us by uncle Norman.

It’s a Noogar from me but Nuggets for gold & cereals

Always been nugget with me, but I've never liked it whatever it's called.

Garridge or Gararzh?
    Scon or Scone?
    Latte or Lahrtay?
    Garridge
    scone
    coffee

Preemark or Pryemark?
    Prymark - it's a contraction of "Price-Mark"

It happened in both languages in the 16th/17th century, it seems. It supposedly wasn't there in what is considered to be 'Old French' (8th to 14th century) and which was foisted upon us by uncle Norman.
    Thanks. And in another mystery to me, dette and doute stayed without the b.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Garridge
    scone
    coffee

Prymark - it's a contraction of "Price-Mark"
    It’s Preemark in our house.

Thought this was a thread about that pillock Graham who always comes crying over here whenever the Colonel bans him off his board.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s a Noogar from me but Nuggets for gold & cereals
    here also

While we are here, how are people saying chipotle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Chip-ottle

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    As chipotlay. It's a Spanish word conflating two indigenous words in Central America - and the second word was originally 'poctli'.

As chipotlay. It's a Spanish word conflating two indigenous words in Central America - and the second word was originally 'poctli'.
    Another French word that every news reader,except the French deputy mayor understandably,pronounced wrongly was Annecy.There was an horrific event there very recently and it was pronounced Ann-e-cy by UK news readers.The correct pronounciation is Anncy.In French e is silent unless there is an accent over it.