+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fara-Go

Fara-Go

If you believe one of the original Bad Boys of Brexit our Nige might be on the brink of leaving this sceptered isle, warm beer and all. Probably why he spends so much time looking wistfully over the Channel on the White Cliffs of Dover.

https://www.cityam.com/nigel-farage-...counts-closed/

This seems to have been triggered by his bank, allegedly Coutts, home to Royalty, the elite and....er the Common Man shutting down his bank account without apparently giving him any reason. Now banks don't normally do this on a whim and normally give people the opportunity to make other suitable arrangements, though not apparently in this case. The main reason this happens is one of the following.

• Suspicious transactions outside of the normal range in the account.
    • Lack of use
    • Suspected fraud
    • Money Laundering
    • Personality clashes (you’ve been rude to staff repeatedly)
    • Support for unlawful activities, terrorism, etc.
    • Reputational risk

Probably one of the more innocent reasons I guess!

Re: Fara-Go

Send him on a small boat to France and Au Revoir

Getting ready for 2024, stick it in your diary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    This seems to have been triggered by his bank
    What is your compliance line in the sand, and what will you do if it is ever breached?

He’s off to watch England at the Euros is he?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...lose-accounts/

I don’t think in isolation this is a big issue ( some would argue against it though) but if the cashless mantra becomes the norm then I’d say this could cause significant problems to people who fail to tow the line.

What is your compliance line in the sand, and what will you do if it is ever breached?
    I must say being challenged on my views about regulatory adherence by someone who thinks himself a cross between Nostradamus and Spartacus but whose personal acts of rebellion seem limited to bombarding a football messageboard with a daily dose of endless meaningless cliches did tickle.

In the Farage case if the Coutts account (still unclear whether it his personal account or a corporate one with all the fog he has thrown up) was frozen/closed because of lack of use or Farage's abuse of staff then that looks a little harsh.

Obviously if it is because of suspicious transactions outside of the normal range in the account, suspected fraud, money laundering or support for unlawful activities then I would expect the bank to operate with appropriate due diligence as you have encouraged DeutcheBank and others to undertake on other occasions!

The most ironic thing about this though was Farage threatening to leave the country because of it. Perhaps he knows of a few countries where a bloke turns up at the border asking to live there and they get waved through with a welcome and a smile.

I must say being challenged on my views about regulatory adherence by someone who thinks himself a cross between Nostradamus and Spartacus but whose personal acts of rebellion seem limited to bombarding a football messageboard with a daily dose of endless meaningless cliches did tickle.

In the Farage case if the Coutts account (still unclear whether it his personal account or a corporate one with all the fog he has thrown up) was frozen/closed because of lack of use or Farage's abuse of staff then that looks a little harsh.

Obviously if it is because of suspicious transactions outside of the normal range in the account, suspected fraud, money laundering or support for unlawful activities then I would expect the bank to operate with appropriate due diligence as you have encouraged DeutcheBank and others to undertake on other occasions!

The most ironic thing about this though was Farage threatening to leave the country because of it. Perhaps he knows of a few countries where a bloke turns up at the border asking to live there and they get waved through with a welcome and a smile.

Sounds like a case of double standards to me.

How many M.P.s have committed one or more of the things Farage has ,as far as I know , no action has been taken against them.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Sounds like a case of double standards to me.

How many M.P.s have committed one or more of the things Farage has ,as far as I know , no action has been taken against them.
    I suppose you need to know what he has done to be able to compare it with the perceived sins of others.

I suppose you need to know what he has done to be able to compare it with the perceived sins of others.
    Indeed

I don’t think in isolation this is a big issue ( some would argue against it though) but if the cashless mantra becomes the norm then I’d say this could cause significant problems to people who fail to tow the line.
    An ever changing line that becomes more draconian as time goes on. We witnessed the slippery slope syndrome with "15 days to flatten the curve" and all the subsequent propaganda and coercion that was used to force compliance and behavioural change. FYI most major corporations are now implementing ESG departments that will seek out perceived wrong thoughts and/or behaviour of their clients, which may be one thing today and something entirely different the next. If you want to know how it works look no further than China where all lines are eventually crossed, and that is why I would never express glee over an individual case of a perceived enemy.

I think everyone should admit, this is a worrying series of events, and there are now numerous examples online. Reading today about the 'wings over Scotland blogger who's account was frozen.

Banks are absolute bastards are we give them more power at our peril.

Withdraw some cash and spend it. Stop dancing to their tune because we are sleep walking into losing control over how we spend our money which has severe civil liberties consequences

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think everyone should admit, this is a worrying series of events, and there are now numerous examples online. Reading today about the 'wings over Scotland blogger who's account was frozen.

Banks are absolute bastards are we give them more power at our peril.

Withdraw some cash and spend it. Stop dancing to their tune because we are sleep walking into losing control over how we spend our money which has severe civil liberties consequences
    If, as he says, his account has been frozen because he got the UK out of the EU then it's incredibly worrying.

If, as I imagine is probably the case, there is a lot more to it than that and he's suspected of doing something illegal, then I'm fine with that. And he's possibly in some truble.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If, as he says, his account has been frozen because he got the UK out of the EU then it's incredibly worrying.

If, as I imagine is probably the case, there is a lot more to it than that and he's suspected of doing something illegal, then I'm fine with that. And he's possibly in some trouble.
    Then surely there needs to be a legal process before any action is taken? What happened to innocent until proved guilty. If he's guilty of any crime then throw the book at him, nobody has a problem with that.

If, as I imagine is probably the case, there is a lot more to it than that and he's suspected of doing something illegal, then I'm fine with that. And he's possibly in some truble.

Didn’t they freeze the Canadian Truckers accounts for doing things the Canadian government objected against ?

That’s perhaps where this is going, not today, not tomorrow, but it’s probably not that far away.

You could have a scenario where “Just stop Oil” gets their funds frozen just for a direct action protest.

Didn’t they freeze the Canadian Truckers accounts for doing things the Canadian government objected against ?

That’s perhaps where this is going, not today, not tomorrow, but it’s probably not that far away.
    That was the trial run.

Then surely there needs to be a legal process before any action is taken? What happened to innocent until proved guilty. If he's guilty of any crime then throw the book at him, nobody has a problem with that.
    What legal process though? Coutts, Bank to the Common Man, froze an account associated with Farage for some reason. Rather than go through whatever process the Bank has for dealing with issues with accounts of Politically Exposed Persons where it felt necessary to take action, (and I would presume that Coutts would have some experience in discretion in these cases) Farage went nuclear.

Maybe he was seething with rage, maybe he thought it might leak anyway or maybe he wanted to get ahead of the story.

In any event we are way ahead of any suggestion of criminal proceedings. The only reason we know this is happening to a bank account associated with Farage is because he decided to publicise it.

Elsewhere I agree with James that some of the cases where other banks have shelved accounts for things like anti-trans rhetoric stink and if Farage has done some service it is bringing this to the surface.

Still ironic that the EU has introduced the fundamental right to a bank account which we have not mirrored. Saying that it has also strengthened its money laundering rules recently so it's a two way mirror I guess.

Perhaps Farage could claim his fundamental human rights have been trampled on under the ECHR. Now that would be funny.

Getting us out of the EU would be enough for me to strip him naked and put him in the stocks, let alone closing down his bank accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Getting us out of the EU would be enough for me to strip him naked and put him in the stocks, let alone closing down his bank accounts.
    It might be you if you say something on line that the government doesn’t like

https://talk.tv/news/22852/banks-fre...x-reform-party

It might be you if you say something on line that the government doesn’t like

https://talk.tv/news/22852/banks-fre...x-reform-party
    This comes from Talk TV and the Reform cretins. No I don't think I shall lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    This comes from Talk TV and the Reform cretins. No I don't think I shall lose any sleep over it.
    Huh, that was just one news item , it’s all over the tinternet.

Think about the implications not today but perhaps in 5/10 years time

Huh, that was just one news item , it’s all over the tinternet.

Think about the implications not today but perhaps in 5/10 years time
    Once you factor in things such as AI, CBDC and Digital ID you are looking at methods of control hitherto unknown to mankind.

Once you factor in things such as AI, CBDC and Digital ID you are looking at methods of control hitherto unknown to mankind.
    People are being discriminated against if their views deviate from the ESG narrative.

No one voted for ESG did they ?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e...g-criteria.asp