+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joel Bagin Has Signed a 3 Year Contract

Joel Bagin Has Signed a 3 Year Contract

Re: Joel Bagin Has Signed a 3 Year Contract

I guess we go into the season with Bagan, Collins and ODowda and at a push Simpson as left back options? Another seems excessive.

Rather invest in Bagan than Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rather invest in Bagan than Simpson.
    Agree but guess the issue was more Bagan was out of contract and Simpson in contract. I’m still not sure Simpson is as bad as I think lol I know he’s not great and had a mistake in him but I dunno..

3 years 😳

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    3 years ��
    That was the bit that surprised me.

3 years 😳
    Apparently he has to pay subs!

I’m all in favour of the longer contracts for Bagan and King.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m all in favour of the longer contracts for Bagan and King.
    Really? A near 22 year old who made 1 league appearance and for the most part couldn’t get in the 20 man squad all last season rewarded with a 3 year deal? Very odd.

Really? A near 22 year old who made 1 league appearance and for the most part couldn’t get in the 20 man squad all last season rewarded with a 3 year deal? Very odd.
    The deal must be weighted towards the club, surely? It's not like Bagan had a great deal of bargaining in his armoury, unless he's just brilliant in training! I reckon the club have offered him relatively low wages, so it's worth it for them

He's not a bad player, so there's scope for him to improve I suppose. If he does well enough for us, then we have a cheap player, or the club get to sell him on for a sizeable profit. We also don't know what's written into the contract. Good luck to him though.

Hes had a few games where I thought he could develop into a really good player. That goal he cut inside and curled it in with his right foot was top drawer.

I think if we survive this season we are going to need our young players to step up. Lets hope Bagan proves he belongs at this level.

The key thing is how low these 2 men’s wages really are. I appreciate this is somewhat vulgar and perhaps none of our business, but as supporters it is relevant to us.

Hope he's given a chance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Hope he's given a chance this year.
    Bulut was talking about a possible loan move when he talked about the new contract yesterday. Bagan needs to play. Maybe a half year loan to a League One side would be good. I couldn't remember if he had been out on loan before - but according to Wiki he had a one month (!) loan deal with Notts County in early 2000 - and played twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hes had a few games where I thought he could develop into a really good player. That goal he cut inside and curled it in with his right foot was top drawer.

I think if we survive this season we are going to need our young players to step up. Lets hope Bagan proves he belongs at this level.
    The problem is that he's had just as many games, if not more, where he's looked pretty useless. Barely played last season as well. I'm not confident that he's going to step up.

A three year deal does seem odd, but if I remember rightly, this board seemed to spend most of last season arguing that Bagan should be playing, instead of whoever was in the left berth at the time. He's a promising player, but he needs game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The deal must be weighted towards the club, surely? It's not like Bagan had a great deal of bargaining in his armoury, unless he's just brilliant in training! I reckon the club have offered him relatively low wages, so it's worth it for them

He's not a bad player, so there's scope for him to improve I suppose. If he does well enough for us, then we have a cheap player, or the club get to sell him on for a sizeable profit. We also don't know what's written into the contract. Good luck to him though.
    Spot on and he has sufficient pedigree for it to be easy to find him a loan elsewhere if he doesn't crack the 1st team. In the meantime, he is a pretty solid reserve left back at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bulut was talking about a possible loan move when he talked about the new contract yesterday. Bagan needs to play. Maybe a half year loan to a League One side would be good. I couldn't remember if he had been out on loan before - but according to Wiki he had a one month (!) loan deal with Notts County in early 2000 - and played twice.
    If he can go to a club like Bristol Rovers, it would be really good for him. I’d keep him there for a full season too. He can’t defend and needs to toughen up.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    This loan deal came up recently. Neal Ardley took him to Notts County in February 2020 for a month initially but, after impressing in wins against Barrow and Eastleigh in early March, that was extended to the end of the season. He started every game after that, all two of them. The play off semi against Barnet in July and the final against Harrogate at Wembley in August.

There can't be many successful six month loan spells where a player only gets four games but that's what happened to Bagan. Not his fault in any way - unless we're blaming him for the pandemic, which would be harsh in my opinion.

Good catch that. I think he’lll have a good season this year. I can feel it in my bones

I wonder if the manager had much of a say in this. I hope so. I have a feeling that we're going to have a pretty good season.

It probaly helped his development by not being a part of that mess last season. I've seen enough to think he can play a part in this squad going forward. Hope he grab the oppurtunity with this new contract.