+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanner - looking bright. A sporting chance?

Tanner - looking bright. A sporting chance?

Seems to very bright pre-season. I always caution that these are low grade, low tempo games where not too many players are gunning full tilt.

This Tanner lad though. Two good feet. Running at folk. A bit of excitement. Is he still too raw, or might he have that X-Factor to be in the squad and have a sporting chance of growing his game time appearances as the season goes on?

Re: Tanner - looking bright. A sporting chance?

I seem to remember he scored a couple pre season last year didn't he? Didn't seem to go anywhere though. Hopefully he can push on. Players like him are going to have to in the circumstances.

With new management he's got a chance to impress and make his mark. Thought he looked OK last night so hope he can keep it up.

He has all the attributes to make it , powerful, skillfull, with good coaching and confidence could be a good one.

he looked good against villa in the memorial match....

going on loan does a player good, they get a bit of pitch time, i know folks will sy he had a few shockers, but what players didnt have shockers last season, only 1 or 2 did ok the entire season

He can turn on a sixpence and skin defenders, I understand.

I was just about to mention, five posts and a couple of hours in with no puns on the surname.

I'd have lost a few shekels on that one!

Hope he’s never laid up with the thruppenny bits.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I was just about to mention, five posts and a couple of hours in with no puns on the surname.

We can but try. We aim to please. Can we call him “Sun” (Tanner) ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    With new management he's got a chance to impress and make his mark. Thought he looked OK last night so hope he can keep it up.
    He needs to go out on loan to a league club and show that he can hold down a first team place and make progress
    He isn’t Championship standard and needs to prove himself in a lower league initially, before he’s ready to play for us at this level imho

It seems the best thing was for the manager and his coaching staff to come in without any preconceptions about the club and players they find.
    All start from zero and take them as they find them - quite refreshing and it’s probably exactly what we need.

We have to trust him and allow him time to implement his style - we could well ok.

Has all the required skill.His weakness seems to lie in his work off the ball and waiting for the game to come to him.I saw the gaffer shouting at him to that effect last night.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Has all the required skill.His weakness seems to lie in his work off the ball and waiting for the game to come to him.I saw the gaffer shouting at him to that effect last night.
    That's my feeling, he comes across as a spectator of the game, biding his time for the ball to come to him.

In comparison last night you had the Colwill brothers, Joel in particuliar, constantly offering options for a pass or harrying defenders - and this is something Tanner lacks in his game.

He definitely has something about him, but he's incredibly raw and fans should note he went out on loan to York City in Jan and after a few appearances got bombed out of the squad. It may be due to the fact that he's still adjusting to the transition of the day to day regiment of being a full time professional footballer, but I assumed he would of at least nabbed some valuable playing time at conference level. And the fact he did not is telling.

I wonder if it’s a fitness thing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    It's a fault with quite a few of our team. The movement is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It's a fault with quite a few of our team. The movement is awful.
    I remember Ian Wright discussing us on MOTD early in Warnock's season there. He was very critical of the lack of movement in the box from everyone. He put it down to the coaching and it's difficult to argue otherwise. Footballers generally do what you tell them. If there is no movement up front, it's because it hasn't been coached into them. It's not a criticism of the forwards themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I remember Ian Wright discussing us on MOTD early in Warnock's season there. He was very critical of the lack of movement in the box from everyone. He put it down to the coaching and it's difficult to argue otherwise. Footballers generally do what you tell them. If there is no movement up front, it's because it hasn't been coached into them. It's not a criticism of the forwards themselves.
    We can only hope the new manager and his staff can put this right. He's already said we're not creating enough chances, so identifying something as crucial as this so early on in his tenure gives me confidence that he will either coach the existing players to show more movement in and around the box or more likely sign players who already possess such ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Seems to very bright pre-season. I always caution that these are low grade, low tempo games where not too many players are gunning full tilt.

This Tanner lad though. Two good feet. Running at folk. A bit of excitement. Is he still too raw, or might he have that X-Factor to be in the squad and have a sporting chance of growing his game time appearances as the season goes on?
    I thought he looks fitter and slimmer than last year. There is no reason why he shouldn't jump Ojo in the pecking order. O'Dowda will take a little more displacing.

Actually, regarding the latter, the system that Bulut is employing should suit/benefit him more than anyone.

Don’t ever see him being championship level

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t ever see him being championship level
    Neither do I, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post

going on loan does a player good, they get a bit of pitch time, i know folks will sy he had a few shockers, but what players didnt have shockers last season, only 1 or 2 did ok the entire season
    A bit of pitch time is all he had. Either on the bench or not in the squad at a conference team. Minimal time actually playing

Actually impressed with tanner in pre season he looks to have improved his game whether he's good enough to break into the squad remains to be seen , physically looks like grealish let's hope he can play a bit like him in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Stickler1927 View Post
    Actually impressed with tanner in pre season he looks to have improved his game whether he's good enough to break into the squad remains to be seen , physically looks like grealish let's hope he can play a bit like him in the future
    He's had a year of getting used to full time training but his loan was a failure - at least on the pitch.

On very limited evidence I have some confidence that we now have a management team that are capable of improving some of the younger and underperforming players through intelligent coaching.

Tanner probably needs another loan - but he does look a few steps closer to a Championship footballer. Still caught on the ball too easily in the last two friendlies, but also showed pace, touch and a bit of game intelligence at times too.

Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Worried he'll keep getting leathered