+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Multi club ownership, why doesn't Tan buy a club in the Welsh Premier as a feeder club to us?

Multi club ownership, why doesn't Tan buy a club in the Welsh Premier as a feeder club to us?

Loads of owners worldwide are building up satellite clubs, it's accepted by FIFA. Would be cool if Tan could own Barry Town or someone else near by and park out young players there. Wouldn't cost much surely?

Swansea, Wrexham and Newport joining suit and Welsh Premier could see an uptick in quality.

Re: Multi club ownership, why doesn't Tan buy a club in the Welsh Premier as a feeder club to us?

tan is selling his clubs, not buying more

Re: Multi club ownership, why doesn't Tan buy a club in the Welsh Premier as a feeder club to us?

Welsh Premier League clubs are shit. We’d be lucky to find a League 2 quality player in the division, let alone a Championship quality one.

I would like to see the English pyramid Welsh clubs do more to help out the Welsh pyramid though. Our national league is an embarrassment compared to the rest of Europe. There’s some potential in it though, just look at the leaps and bounds the Irish league has come on in a few years.

Having a feeder club at that level won't necessarily increase the quality of players coming through. If anything the club will act as somewhere to send our youngsters out on loan, which may not be the best for their development.

He’s probably sick to death with the Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    tan is selling his clubs, not buying more
    Yeah for a good reason…..

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I would like to see the English pyramid Welsh clubs do more to help out the Welsh pyramid though. Our national league is an embarrassment compared to the rest of Europe.
    thats exactly what the OP was propropsing, not that we find players in Welsh prem.

I guess they dont have the quality compared to overseas players. But yes I would love to us using Cardiff Met or Barry Town

Behave

I'd love to see anybody invest in a club in the Welsh Premier league, a decent size club could earn some good money from Europe with the conference league group stage almost a certainty if the winner of the Welsh prem could only win the 1st round of the Champions league qualifying...

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    I guess they dont have the quality compared to overseas players. But yes I would love to us using Cardiff Met or Barry Town
    Cardiff Met are a university team comprised solely of students, post graduates and staff and there's no way they'd want loanees from outside.
    Barry however, may well welcome City youngsters bolstering their ranks.

They'd probably cost sweet FA to run too? semi pro level.

I thought one of the things about multi-club ownership - not that I like the idea - was to build a network and presence in other parts of the globe so it would seem pointless doing such a thing at home. If Welsh league clubs want our players to borrow I'm sure they're available but it seems they're not too bothered, so if we were to buy one, we'd own a previously independent club on which we'd force our players and they might not even do very well with relegation a possibility. Then we'd be sending our best prospects to the Welsh 2nd tier (south). Better to have the whole league to choose from and let them get on with things.

You don't need to own another club to send out loanees. Any full-time pro within our system should at least be able to play in League 2. If they can't get game time there, they're probably never going to make it at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Loads of owners worldwide are building up satellite clubs, it's accepted by FIFA. Would be cool if Tan could own Barry Town or someone else near by and park out young players there. Wouldn't cost much surely?

Swansea, Wrexham and Newport joining suit and Welsh Premier could see an uptick in quality.
    I can't believe you're serious about this. A Welsh league player good enough to play in the Championship. Once in a blue moon at best.
    Better off buying a Scottish club, and most of those are shite 😄

It’d make more sense to have an arrangement for loaning players to Newport. I’m not saying we couldn’t still loan teenagers to Welsh League clubs, but we need more loans of the type Eli King got last season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’d make more sense to have an arrangement for loaning players to Newport. I’m not saying we couldn’t still loan teenagers to Welsh League clubs, but we need more loans of the type Eli King got last season.
    Our last loan to Newport was Zimba and he didn't pull up any trees. Last year they borrowed from Liverpool, Villa, Bournemouth, Man U, and West Ham (but also Stoke and Boro). This year they've got one in from Newcastle. They could be shopping in swankier stores than ours. Unless our players are on the edge of the squad they might not be too fussed.

are you on shrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Our last loan to Newport was Zimba and he didn't pull up any trees. Last year they borrowed from Liverpool, Villa, Bournemouth, Man U, and West Ham (but also Stoke and Boro). This year they've got one in from Newcastle. They could be shopping in swankier stores than ours. Unless our players are on the edge of the squad they might not be too fussed.
    I’m talking about players who are on pro contracts like King, Tom Davies, Denham, Benjamin, Antwi, Tanner, Evans and maybe one of the young keepers - most of those are too good to be playing in the Cymru Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You don't need to own another club to send out loanees. Any full-time pro within our system should at least be able to play in League 2. If they can't get game time there, they're probably never going to make it at Championship level.
    Isn't that what Darren Purse was talking about the other day though? A lot of clubs at L2 and conference level are hesitant to play young loanees not because of their ability, but because they don't have the time and patience to let them adjust to senior men's football.

Personally I think it would be beneficial if us, Swansea, Newport, and Wrexham were allowed to have "B" teams in the Welsh league system, either in the 1st or 2nd tier.

If that was the case, I'd like to see that team mainly made up of U18 players. By the time they get to 18 or 19, they would theoretically have had a season of competitive men's football under their belt. And while obviously the standard wouldn't be great, it would help them get a better loan at a L2/conf club, which is exactly what Purse was talking about.

We're already kind of seeing steps in this direction with invitations to the MG Cup, but it would be nice to see it on a more permanent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Isn't that what Darren Purse was talking about the other day though? A lot of clubs at L2 and conference level are hesitant to play young loanees not because of their ability, but because they don't have the time and patience to let them adjust to senior men's football.

Personally I think it would be beneficial if us, Swansea, Newport, and Wrexham were allowed to have "B" teams in the Welsh league system, either in the 1st or 2nd tier.

If that was the case, I'd like to see that team mainly made up of U18 players. By the time they get to 18 or 19, they would theoretically have had a season of competitive men's football under their belt. And while obviously the standard wouldn't be great, it would help them get a better loan at a L2/conf club, which is exactly what Purse was talking about.

We're already kind of seeing steps in this direction with invitations to the MG Cup, but it would be nice to see it on a more permanent basis.
    B teams in the Welsh Premier would mean there would be no European qualification from the League which was one of the reasons it was set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    B teams in the Welsh Premier would mean there would be no European qualification from the League which was one of the reasons it was set up.
    I wonder if you could arrange it so that the b teams could play in the league but not get the European spots

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

Don’t think Clubs are allowed to be affiliated to two different Associations.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Welsh Premier League clubs are shit. We’d be lucky to find a League 2 quality player in the division, let alone a Championship quality one.

I would like to see the English pyramid Welsh clubs do more to help out the Welsh pyramid though. Our national league is an embarrassment compared to the rest of Europe. There’s some potential in it though, just look at the leaps and bounds the Irish league has come on in a few years.
    I don't think the Welsh Premier League is shit. I enjoy watching WPL games and think we should all be doing more to support the WPL.. But saying that i do agree the standard is an ocean away from it being a feeder league for the championship.. Even sending our younger players on loan to the WPL hasn't yielded any positive outcomes. So a Tan owned WPL is a big no from me. But it has potential as you say.. I'd like to see games better attended.

When I'm back in Wales and city are not playing on a Saturday i should make more of an effort to go an see WPL games, saying that my dad is a big rugby fan, Abertillery, so sometimes i go up and watch an Abertillery game with him. He loves me doing that and i actually enjoy the games. Surprised how many city fans are there and I'm sure my old man gets frustrated when I'm talking football in the club house. But three cans for a fiver does that :)

He's 79, so it's a nice thing to do with him "come on the ab".