+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which stadium do you prefer?

Which stadium do you prefer?

358055883_307130561773554_3904022474953398853_n.jpg

There's no doubts that our current ground is far superior to Ninian Park but whenever I look at photos of the old place, I still miss it and so many memories come flooding back.

Re: Which stadium do you prefer?

Whenever your getting thoughts about the good times, just think of times like the 2-7 stuffing by Cambridge in front of about 4000 people, it soon passes (or Sjoke in the play-offs)

See, gone

The new ground by a country mile. The good times at Ninian Park stand out because, in most of our lifetimes, they were few and far between. Mediocre teams running out to ‘Simply The Best’ in front of 2000 odd (very odd) sufferers in a dilapidated shack does nothing to stir fond memories for me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The new ground by a country mile. The good times at Ninian Park stand out because, in most of our lifetimes, they were few and far between. Mediocre teams running out to ‘Simply The Best’ in front of 2000 odd (very odd) sufferers in a dilapidated shack does nothing to stir fond memories for me.
    My memory of walk out music at ninian is love is the drug and that was as appropriate and ironic as simply the best - bit like when we sing "we're the greatest team in football the world has ever seen"

Me I have fantastic memories in both and horrific memories in both, in big crowds and small crowds, great results and not so great - its what defines your time as a fan and as this board proves no ones two experiences are ever the same - that's why it's the greatest sport and that's why you are a fan or not of a particular club

Will always be NP for me, except for Wales games. Of course most things are better in the new ground but I prefer the uniqueness of old grounds, not just NP, even if many are shit tips. CCS is just another Lego bowl.

Ninian Park was great, so many memories but it had its time.

I think we have a great stadium now.

No one going to refer to the "Old Lady" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I know, what a lot of bollox that is.

I enjoyed games at Ninian Park more, but the club had to move with the times.

I think I would have rather seen NP developed ad hoc (like Ipswich for example) and I do think CCS is cheap, formulaic and lacks atmosphere, but it had to happen and a 33,000 capacity stadium is vastly superior to a 20,000 one.

What frustrates me is that the sensible middle ground was never achieved - that would have been a new or redeveloped stadium with terraces, which is the norm across Germany

The CCS.

Ninian Park was hands down a much more enjoyable day out for me.

For me it's Ninian Park, mostly because of the memories of a handful of games which may have not had the same atmosphere if they'd happened at CCS, such as that Leeds game, that Millwall (pitch invasion) game and that Man City (Nathan Blake) game.
    Plus it was where I went to my first game with my dear old dad when I was 6
    Last edited by fingers; 06-07-23 at 09:41. Reason: Additional memory

A tree growing out of the the back wall (and halfway up) on the Canton Stand, the rusty floodlights and the Al fresco breeze-block pissoir at the northern end of the Bob Bank were all evidence that Ninian Park had had its day. Lots of great memories but it was time for change.

Had great days out at NP, but was that because of my age and how football was in general 15-20 years ago?
    The CCS is perfectly adequate for the modern experience and my aching bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Juventus?

As far as memories go, few beat the CCS 3-2 victory over modern day Manchester City.

The greatest thing is that it was built next door, so the match day routine never changed. For that alone we should be very grateful.

Highs and lows at both grounds. It's a case of cherishing the memories at both. Pity the last NP match was such a heavy defeat. Still standing though.....and a 10p football (what's left of it) in the loft.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

There's no doubts that our current ground is far superior to Ninian Park but whenever I look at photos of the old place, I still miss it and so many memories come flooding back.
    I don't understand why they didn't stick with the name. "Ninian Park" attained a high level of name recognition after 99 years. Why the incredibly generic "Cardiff City Stadium"? Are Cardiff Council paying a sponsorship fee that I don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I don't understand why they didn't stick with the name. "Ninian Park" attained a high level of name recognition after 99 years. Why the incredibly generic "Cardiff City Stadium"? Are Cardiff Council paying a sponsorship fee that I don't know about?
    the naming rights were tied up in the sam hammam legal disputes for years, I would assume that the original plan was to get a naming sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I don’t get to many home games but the few that I have been to at CCS have really lacked atmosphere (probably due to totally lacklustre performances on the pitch!) whereas Wales games there are usually great.

It is a nice stadium though and moving from NP was just inevitable.

I do miss the atmosphere from Ninian Park. The transition from NP to CCS has been made easier for me due to the similar location and better facilities inside and outside the new ground.

When I was a lad, NP was fantastic. from Real Madrid to "that Leeds game", great atmosphere.
    But I'm pushing 70 now, so CCS with its better facilities wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    I do miss the atmosphere from Ninian Park. The transition from NP to CCS has been made easier for me due to the similar location and better facilities inside and outside the new ground.
    The ‘atmosphere’ You could count the games that it was ‘rocking’ in its last thirty odd years on one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The ‘atmosphere’ You could count the games that it was ‘rocking’ in its last thirty odd years on one hand.
    I always liked hearing the fullback on the other side of the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I always liked hearing the fullback on the other side of the pitch
    Our season tickets were last row of the Bob Bank, in the corner, Grange End side. One game, I always think it was against Rochdale, the ball was cleared by a City defender right up to us. There wasn’t a soul in the stand or the terrace between us in the back row and the touchline. I kicked it back, one bounce on the terrace, over the fence and the Rochdale player caught it with a ‘Cheers mate’. It was akin
    to someone retrieving a ball over Pontcanna and being thanked Atmosphere, my arse