+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Mechanics help

OT Mechanics help

Know there's quite a few on here who are pretty decent with cars so just a cry for help from someone pretty useless.

Been to change cars for quite a while and one has popped up that ticks the boxes except..

It's been garaged for about 4 years as it was someones who passed away and they hadn't done anything with it. They have the v5 and all paperwork, obv would do a hpi so that side all seems fairly straightforward

It's having a full service and new mot. having brakes stripped and greased, a few needly thngs that are needed to go through the mot. They say no unexpected noises etc.

Is it mad to buy a car stood round this long and what are the likely pitfalls / things to look for?

Re: OT Mechanics help

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Know there's quite a few on here who are pretty decent with cars so just a cry for help from someone pretty useless.

Been to change cars for quite a while and one has popped up that ticks the boxes except..

It's been garaged for about 4 years as it was someones who passed away and they hadn't done anything with it. They have the v5 and all paperwork, obv would do a hpi so that side all seems fairly straightforward

It's having a full service and new mot. having brakes stripped and greased, a few needly thngs that are needed to go through the mot. They say no unexpected noises etc.

Is it mad to buy a car stood round this long and what are the likely pitfalls / things to look for?
    If you are interested I'd be inclined to as a local trusted garage to check it out for you before committing. Service history prior to being laid up would be useful. I have used New Sandon in Cardiff for years (just behind Kwik fit on Newport rd) and found them to be excellent, as have many friends and colleagues 👍. What make/model is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    If you are interested I'd be inclined to as a local trusted garage to check it out for you before committing. Service history prior to being laid up would be useful. I have used New Sandon in Cardiff for years (just behind Kwik fit on Newport rd) and found them to be excellent, as have many friends and colleagues 👍. What make/model is it?
    Good suggestion thanks. It’s a land rover discovery sport which I know are known to be a bit unreliable to say the least, but it’s the only model the mrs has liked (in our price range) that has to sort of boot space we need..
    Service history prior is two main dealer services prior to being off the road and having a full service. Mileage approx 50k

How many years to do the 50k?

The problem with the Discovery Sport (assuming it is a diesel) is that short journeys don't allow the DPF to regenerate properly. This can lead to the DPF failing and excess diesel fuel in the engine oil, leading to engine failure.
    There are official Land Rover documents explaining that when a potential customer wants to buy one the salesman is supposed to ask about the sort of journeys you will do. If they are mostly short then they are supposed to talk you in to buy something else.

Definitely speak to a local garage. Also, I had the AA out to do an inspection on a 17 plate 120k mileage Peugeot Partner van recently, the guy was very through and even told me about stuff he didn’t have to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How many years to do the 50k?

The problem with the Discovery Sport (assuming it is a diesel) is that short journeys don't allow the DPF to regenerate properly. This can lead to the DPF failing and excess diesel fuel in the engine oil, leading to engine failure.
    There are official Land Rover documents explaining that when a potential customer wants to buy one the salesman is supposed to ask about the sort of journeys you will do. If they are mostly short then they are supposed to talk you in to buy something else.
    Thanks,
    The 50k was in about 3.5-4 years. The dpf
    Isn’t too much of an issue I don’t think (hopefully), I don’t do a huge amount of mileage but when I do they’re long journeys like 90
    Miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Definitely speak to a local garage. Also, I had the AA out to do an inspection on a 17 plate 120k mileage Peugeot Partner van recently, the guy was very through and even told me about stuff he didn’t have to inspect.
    Thanks will give this some thought, was dubious about aa inspections as some of the ones I’ve had out before for breakdowns have been hopeless and some great very hit and miss, so it’s good to hear a good experience

Thanks will give this some thought, was dubious about aa inspections as some of the ones I’ve had out before for breakdowns have been hopeless and some great very hit and miss, so it’s good to hear a good experience
    The garage I referred to is owned by a guy who is an expert on those cars, feel free to message me and I'll give you my contact details and speak to him beforehand for you mate 👍

Best of luck, just get used to be in a layby with the bonnet up...

Quote Originally Posted by slomaj View Post
    Best of luck, just get used to be in a layby with the bonnet up...
    Because the cars been stood around or because it’s a Land Rover ?

Because the cars been stood around or because it’s a Land Rover ?
    Do let him put doubt in your mind. Just follow the good advice you’ve been given by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Don’t let him put doubt in your mind. Just follow the good advice you’ve been given by others.
    *Don’t*