+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yakou Meite - the first poor signing by Bulut?

Re: Yakou Meite - the first poor signing by Bulut?

Let's see the list of realistic mid-tier Championship signings on a free with better than a 1 in 4 goal ratio then?

The initial post is nonsense - it says The Greek defender looks promising then Ugbo with pace and power looks very interesting

What’s that opinion based on then??

All of us know nothing of either player and none of us have seen either of them playing live . That’s why there was so little comment on either signing, we as fans no nothing about them. They could be hits, they could be real duds, we have no clue and nothing to base an opinion on

Meite however we have seen play and therefore of the 3 signings we can at least inform an opinion on him , we know he can perform at this level if fit . To say he’s the signing that disappoints the most is nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    i read both of the links and the second one wasn't critical of Meite. As for the first one, I think it's a bit unfair considering so much of his time out injured was due to an ACL injury which, in essence, means a season out for the player. There's been a City player who suffered an ACL injury in each of the last three seasons and in each case it's occurred in an innocuous situation - Sean Morrison and Joe Bennett were not injury prone players by any description before their ACLs and I'm not aware of Jamilu Collins being one either. Any claim that only "injury prone" players suffer with ACL injuries is just not true.

Two other things, according to this;-

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/p...layer_id=85331

Meite scored forty seven goals for Reading in one hundred and sixty five appearances in all competition with fifty seven of them being as a substitute - even when you count all of those sub appearances as full ones, his scoring rate is much better than one in four and I'm sure that if you counted actual playing time, his scoring rate would be something like one in three or maybe even slightly better than that.

I'd say all three of our signings so far could fall into the could go either way category, but, only one of them has a proven record in the Championship and that's Meite - I struggle to see how you could rate Ugbo as more likely to succeed than him.

The second thing is that, in just short of sixty years of supporting the club, there has not been a single player whose scoring rate, or general play for that matter, got me "hard".
    he has 42 goals in 9201 minutes or 102 * 90 minutes - closer to 1 in 2 than 1 in 3. Much of it from left wing as well.

Baffled by the negativity towards Yaks. He was a fan’s favourite and well respected at Reading.
    What you will get is someone totally committed. Given his ACL injury it is impressive that he hasn’t lost any of his pace. He is better out wide than at centre forward. He has the knack of scoring goals.
    His injury record hasn’t been great in the past two seasons but before that it was fine.

If he stays fit he won’t let you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    The initial post is nonsense - it says The Greek defender looks promising then Ugbo with pace and power looks very interesting

What’s that opinion based on then??

All of us know nothing of either player and none of us have seen either of them playing live . That’s why there was so little comment on either signing, we as fans no nothing about them. They could be hits, they could be real duds, we have no clue and nothing to base an opinion on

Meite however we have seen play and therefore of the 3 signings we can at least inform an opinion on him , we know he can perform at this level if fit . To say he’s the signing that disappoints the most is nonsense
    Of course it’s nonsense.

It’s a reasonably sensible transfer. The quality of player is exactly what we need the risk is the injury record.

People fill the unknowns with random optimism. I’m all for optimism but it’s most of the time unfounded or based on a YouTube video that often hypes a crap player

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Baffled by the negativity towards Yaks. He was a fan’s favourite and well respected at Reading.
    What you will get is someone totally committed. Given his ACL injury it is impressive that he hasn’t lost any of his pace. He is better out wide than at centre forward. He has the knack of scoring goals.
    His injury record hasn’t been great in the past two seasons but before that it was fine.

Thanks for that!

It's always better to hear the opinion of someone who has actually seen him play on a regular basis. Encouraging to hear that you say he hasn't lost any of his pace after his ACL injury. Let's hope that Collins can also retain his pace too after his rehabilitation from the same injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he has 42 goals in 9201 minutes or 102 * 90 minutes - closer to 1 in 2 than 1 in 3. Much of it from left wing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not good at reading? It says he was not good at Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post

Thanks Pearcey,

Coming from someone who should know this puts the lid on the thread.

Good luck Mighty Yakou

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Thanks Pearcey,

Coming from someone who should know this puts the lid on the thread.

Good luck Mighty Yakou
    It does nothing of the sort, Dork-Us. He is still injury prone. He still isn’t technically great. The debate will be concluded at the end of the season, based on performance. I was making a prediction, as many do. I will happily retain this thread as part of the conclusive discussion / debate, and it shall be revisited.

As a winger I expect players fo be beaten and a creative supply provided. As a striker I expect availability and a goal output beyond a 1 in 3 ratio. Only the end of April will tell, but judging by another Reading fan’s opinion his end product and final ball does not suggest he is a great winger.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-27282125

The end of April will give us the answer, not some dumb, empty-headed “This thread is closed” proclamation by someone called “Dorcus”. 😂 Ultinately it is about opinions at this stage, and no evidence concludes anyrhing untik end of season. If you cannot handle opinions that is your unfortunate personal defecr, not mine, son.

Nice try though. Can’t fault your weak effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    It does nothing of the sort, Dork-Us. He is still injury prone. He still isn’t technically great. The debate will be concluded at the end of the season, based on performance. I was making a prediction, as many do. I will happily retain this thread as part of the conclusive discussion / debate, and it shall be revisited.

As a winger I expect players fo be beaten and a creative supply provided. As a striker I expect availability and a goal output beyond a 1 in 3 ratio. Only the end of April will tell, but judging by another Reading fan’s opinion his end product and final ball does not suggest he is a great winger.

The end of April will give us the answer, not some dumb, empty-headed “This thread is closed” proclamation by someone called “Dorcus”. 😂 Ultinately it is about opinions at this stage, and no evidence concludes anyrhing untik end of season. If you cannot handle opinions that is your unfortunate personal defecr, not mine, son.

Shove your nonsense up your arse moron.

You expect? Yes, I would expect that too if we were spending millions but you might have missed the fact we are under a transfer embargo and shopping in a slightly different market

You expect 😂

Hes the only signing id heard of. If hes fit and stays fit he will be a decent signing.

Ive no idea on the others

I will try to close the thread. What you are saying is that you think that a goals to games ratio of about one in four isn't good enough and that you expect strikers/wingers that City sign to have ‘beyond a one in three ratio’. What you are saying therefore is that you expect anyone City sign (for nothing by the way, as we are under an embargo) to be a better goal scorer than someone like Jermaine Defoe, whose career record was actually one goal in every three. You are officially living in cloud cuckoo land.

The end of April will give us the answer, not some dumb, empty-headed “This thread is closed” proclamation by someone called “Dorcus”. �� Ultinately it is about opinions at this stage, and no evidence concludes anyrhing untik end of season. If you cannot handle opinions that is your unfortunate personal defecr, not mine, son.

Who d’you reckon we should be pursuing? You seem to quite thorough given the length of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Who d’you reckon we should be pursuing? You seem to quite thorough given the length of your posts.
    Why make yourself look stupid in 10 words when you can post a 1000 and hope people don't read and you appear semi intelligent.

I'd love to know who his Alt is.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Why make yourself look stupid in 10 words when you can post a 1000 and hope people don't read and you appear semi intelligent.

seems like the All seeing eye who used to post on here

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Bloody hell Harry, you had me counting the number of words in my post then

Ain’t nobody got time to read that ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bloody hell Harry, you had me counting the number of words in my post then
    Apologies, you come in just under quota.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Think he's a great signing. A massive upgrade on Mark Harris.
    Meite is left footed, so won't be replacing Harris. More likely Ojo. Or will be played through the middle to give us physicality in the way West Ham use Antonio. I like Etete and I think he's going to be a top player, but the evidence of the 3 pre-season friendlies is that he still isn't using his size and power to it's full extent.

I don't wholly disagree with Keyser Sosa but I don't know why Meite is singled out other the other two signings who are totally unknown quantities.

I was, though, surprised that Meite has been given a two year contract considering his form and fitness over the last two seasons. But then players appear to hold the whip hand in negotiations nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Meite is left footed, so won't be replacing Harris. More likely Ojo. Or will be played through the middle to give us physicality in the way West Ham use Antonio. I like Etete and I think he's going to be a top player, but the evidence of the 3 pre-season friendlies is that he still isn't using his size and power to it's full extent.

I don't wholly disagree with Keyser Sosa but I don't know why Meite is singled out other the other two signings who are totally unknown quantities.

I was, though, surprised that Meite has been given a two year contract considering his form and fitness over the last two seasons. But then players appear to hold the whip hand in negotiations nowadays
    A training cone would be an upgrade on Ojo, so if he has been signed to replace him, happy days.

I still think we need another striker, we also need to move on some of the deadwood like Watters, Ojo Sawyers etc

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    A training cone would be an upgrade on Ojo, so if he has been signed to replace him, happy days.

I still think we need another striker, we also need to move on some of the deadwood like Watters, Ojo Sawyers etc
    Agreed, Campbell looks superfluous as well. Actually, Ojo has looked quite bright in pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Agreed, Campbell looks superfluous as well. Actually, Ojo has looked quite bright in pre-season.
    Ojo flatters to deceive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Ojo flatters to deceive.
    He’s had a few games where he looked really good.

The majority of games though agreed he’s crap