It seems that so far, Bulut is making a quietly impressive start in terms of his approach. He is trying an innovative system of inverted full backs with football that is easy on the eye, but still appreciating the value of having defenders who can attack and defend the set piece. With the transfer embargo chains put on him, the early signs are that he is trying to do something different by looking in different markets for value. The Greek defender Goutas looks promising. Ike Ugbo with pace and power looks like he could be potentially very interesting. And he is trying out the youth - in the friendlies at least. Regardless of our financial constraints at least we have a coach that is thinking in an original way and being creative. So far, he is making his presence felt and is doing things his way. That means the forthcoming season will at least be interesting.

But when I first saw this signing I cannot hide my feelings. My heart sank. Due to having friends nearby I have been to watch Meite play for Reading. One of my mates really rates him. Admittedly it has only been three games but I have not seen anything to make me remotely interested. Some people say he is a hard worker. That is not what I have seen. His skills levels are not that great, even if he is a physical lump. He often gives the impression of waiting for the ball to come to him. And for a team that, without Kaba, will largely be relying on Robinson for goals, the one thing we need is a confident goalscorer. Max Watters is an absolute failure in front of goal. Ike Ugbo is interesting, but at the moment a risk. But at least he has shown he can score 1 in 2 goals-per-game ratio at a few clubs. Isaac Davies is exciting, but as yet unproven. Etete, with a season under his belt, and alongside Robinson or the French lad may improve on the promise of late last season. We do not even know if Colwill will be a regular. So other than Robinson we do not have a proven double digit goalscorer in this division. We need a second striker with a goal scoring pedigree.

So Bulut chooses Yakou Meite. A nice guy by all accounts. But then again, so was my uncle after five beers. A player with a low availability due to injuries. In seven seasons his best goal haul was 17 goals. He has scored 42 goals in 156 games for Reading. Not a goalscoring ratio that gets me hard. What else before? 5 goals in 24 games for Sochaux. 2 in 24 for Paris St Germain B - hardly a challenging level. 1 in 8 for Reading U21s. These are not striking statistics that get you excited. What he is good at is taking on a player occasionally with his footwork, but his final decision making is erratic. Don' take my word for it. Here is a Reading fan's opinion after seven years.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com...ding-fc-royals

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com...stinger-royals

This isn't a player with potential but one that is now supposed to be in his prime. There is one caveat. He prefers to play on the wing, and on that account you can let the 1-in-4 strike statistics slide perhaps, if he produced that for us from the wing. But with his injury record this is the last guy you want helping by sprinting up and down the touchline to help out. Would a better fitness & conditioning coach make a difference? Who knows - long shot. But if forced to make a guess and a call: I am going to say this one will be a dud.

Being a decent fella, I hope he proves me wrong and I still wish him luck.