+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I saw a player who played on the same day as City's 1927 Cup Final goakeeper

I saw a player who played on the same day as City's 1927 Cup Final goakeeper

City's Cup final win in 1927 seems ancient history, the 1925 final and our 1st season in the top flight in 1921 even more so, however...

I started following City in season 1962/63. We played Stoke City and Stanley Matthews was playing which boosted the attendance to close on 22,000. Matthews had made his league debut on the 19th March 1932, and that same Saturday City were at home to Bournemouth, drawing 0-0 in the old Third Division south. In goal for City was Tom Farquarson, City's gun toting keeper since 1921.

A long, long time ago, but those 102 years are not separated from now, just part of a seamless thread.

Re: I saw a player who played on the same day as City's 1927 Cup Final goakeeper

I wonder how many links there would be between our current squad and our very first game vs Villa.
    Going backwards starting with Joe Ralls, then look at the longest serving player who played in his first game in 2011 and so on.
    Sounds like a task for Eric.

Re: I saw a player who played on the same day as City's 1927 Cup Final goakeeper

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    City's Cup final win in 1927 seems ancient history, the 1925 final and our 1st season in the top flight in 1921 even more so, however...

I started following City in season 1962/63. We played Stoke City and Stanley Matthews was playing which boosted the attendance to close on 22,000. Matthews had made his league debut on the 19th March 1932, and that same Saturday City were at home to Bournemouth, drawing 0-0 in the old Third Division south. In goal for City was Tom Farquarson, City's gun toting keeper since 1921.

A long, long time ago, but those 102 years are not separated from now, just part of a seamless thread.
    I was at the Matthews game, 1-1 I believe, I was at the front of the Bob Bank and can still picture him in my mind. He looked so old, the bugger would be a mere stripling on here nowadays.

Impossible to beat or even equal I’d guess.

I used to do this at work, the once or twice removed thing. I started my apprenticeship in 1971, working alongside chaps who were, say about 64/65. They’d started in the game 50 years previous, 1921, so they’d worked with blokes of 70 (if they were lucky) who’d began in around 1870. The older fellows I worked with had certainly worked with the ‘imported’ Cardiff construction workers brought in for the huge second half of the 19th century house building boom. Building Splott, Adamsdown, Roath, Grangetown, Cathays etc. I always imagine Cardiff to something of a Wild West town in those days.

I do it with films, watching a film made in say 1964 (Zulu), that’s 59 years ago, that’s equivalent to something made in 1905. Eerie/weird

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I do it with films, watching a film made in say 1964 (Zulu), that’s 59 years ago, that’s equivalent to something made in 1905. Eerie/weird
    I find it fascinating working out the connections though. It’s great though mentioning past things on here and other posters pick up on it. CCCMB.....Cardiff City Cocoon Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I find it fascinating working out the connections though. It’s great though mentioning past things on here and other posters pick up on it. CCCMB.....Cardiff City Cocoon Message Board
    That’s what I’m getting at, connections !

I was 14 watching Zulu, my father at 14, would have been watching one of these:——

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?y..._type=feature&

My old man always talks about that match, said when noone else he knew wanted to go to the game with him he went on his own at 14, it was that much of a must see for him. Must have been quite the spectacle.

I was there. Think he was injured early doors?
    Can someone confirm/refute.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was at the Matthews game, 1-1 I believe, I was at the front of the Bob Bank and can still picture him in my mind. He looked so old, the bugger would be a mere stripling on here nowadays.
    I was at the game.My father also took me to Shrewsbury to see Trevor Ford play for County 1960/61.Both were well past their sell by date.