+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aaron Ramsey's first appearance at The Emirates

Aaron Ramsey's first appearance at The Emirates

With his return imminent I have been looking back at the first time I saw Rambo play. Ironically this was at The Emirates in the FA Youth Cup in 2007 with Cardiff.
    Aside from a handful of FA Premier Cup appearances he is the only player from Cardiff's side that night to make it into the first team.
    Arsenal's youth did a bit better with Hoyte and Thomas making one appearance, Lansbury three appearances, Merida-Perez six appearances, Szczesny 132 appearances and Gibbs 137 appearances for their club.
    Jay Thomas as he was listed on the night is better known to Cardiff fans as Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

FA Youth Cup Arsenal v Cardiff.jpg

Match highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN9B...el=goonerbairn

Re: Aaron Ramsey's first appearance at The Emirates

I remember going to this game, it was not long after the Emirates had opened and the reduced price tickets meant a bigger than expected turn out. They ended up having to segregate us and it was getting pretty nasty. Ended up walking out the ground to riot police and police horses.

Pretty sure Gunter and Blake (think it was him) played for the first team at WBA the next day or wouldve been in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    I remember going to this game, it was not long after the Emirates had opened and the reduced price tickets meant a bigger than expected turn out. They ended up having to segregate us and it was getting pretty nasty. Ended up walking out the ground to riot police and police horses.

Pretty sure Gunter and Blake (think it was him) played for the first team at WBA the next day or wouldve been in the squad.
    Yes, Gunter and Blake were eligible but on first team duty. Kick off was delayed due to crowd congestion although I didn't see any trouble myself. It is the only game I have been to where the ticket price was cheaper than my half time pie!

I went to this game with my son, we did quite well and were in it for for most of the game but were never going to win it.
    ccfcwelshlad is right, it was getting a little naughty in the ground but cannot remember anything too nasty, wont go into too much detail
    but getting the tube to the outskirt's after the game where the mini bus was parked, the drivers lad ( no names) but his old man called Insane W, dropped his guts getting off the tube as the door was shutting, the passengers inside weren't too happy, it was rancid.

I went and remember it getting interesting during the game. It was a mixed crowd to start then after it kicked off a few times the police had to make an imaginary divide line whilst basically allowing people to pick their side

Remember Jay Simpson scoring a hat trick

I recall some reports saying Ramsey had a bit of a mare because he’d become used to training with the first team and so was a bit out of kilter with his team mates.

Jon Brown our number seven played a league game or two for City I believe and there were great hopes at the time for number eleven Kyle Bassett who had played for our reserve team at fifteen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    I went and remember it getting interesting during the game. It was a mixed crowd to start then after it kicked off a few times the police had to make an imaginary divide line whilst basically allowing people to pick their side

Remember Jay Simpson scoring a hat trick
    Simpson murdered our defence. I kept an eye out for his name after this game but he never played in the Arsenal first team. He did get some PL time on loan at WBA but only score once, followed by a reasonable spell on loan at QPR in the Championship before lower league obscurity beckoned.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I recall some reports saying Ramsey had a bit of a mare because he’d become used to training with the first team and so was a bit out of kilter with his team mates.

Jon Brown our number seven played a league game or two for City I believe and there were great hopes at the time for number eleven Kyle Bassett who had played for our reserve team at fifteen.
    Ramsey is the only player to make a league appearance for us. Brown and a few others got an outing or two in the FAW Premier Cup where we used to play a mix of first team bench warmers and senior youth players. Brown went on loan to Wrexham in 2008 where he made no impact and then left us for Bryntirion.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I went to this game with my son, we did quite well and were in it for for most of the game but were never going to win it.
    ccfcwelshlad is right, it was getting a little naughty in the ground but cannot remember anything too nasty, wont go into too much detail
    but getting the tube to the outskirt's after the game where the mini bus was parked, the drivers lad ( no names) but his old man called Insane W, dropped his guts getting off the tube as the door was shutting, the passengers inside weren't too happy, it was rancid.
    I was in the middle of the Arsenal fans sat next to a Spurs fan!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Ramsey is the only player to make a league appearance for us. Brown and a few others got an outing or two in the FAW Premier Cup where we used to play a mix of first team bench warmers and senior youth players. Brown went on loan to Wrexham in 2008 where he made no impact and then left us for Bryntirion.

Brown played twice for us in the Football League according to Wikipedia. I’m pretty sure one of the matches was at Coventry on the last day of the season in either 2006 or 2007.

Brown played twice for us in the Football League according to Wikipedia. I’m pretty sure one of the matches was at Coventry on the last day of the season in either 2006 or 2007.
    Yeah I've a vague memory of him playing.

He signed for Pen-y-bont this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Yeah I've a vague memory of him playing.

He signed for Pen-y-bont this week.
    I checked his Wikipedia page without reading it all, having now done so, his two appearances came in our FA Cup Final season, he came on against Coventry (not in the game I mentioned earlier) and Blackpool.

I checked his Wikipedia page without reading it all, having now done so, his two appearances came in our FA Cup Final season, he came on against Coventry (not in the game I mentioned earlier) and Blackpool.
    Yes, you are right. Apols couldn't find any references before. Amazingly he came on for Peter Whittingham - where did it all go wrong?! Match data here: https://www.11v11.com/matches/covent...y-2008-280422/

No problem, my main memory of Brown is his performance for the Academy team when we played Man United at Treforest early in the 07/08 season. City were 1-0 down at half time, but ended up winning 5-1, Brown was outstanding that day. I thought he was definitely a first team regular in the making that day, but it never really happened for him after that day.

I saw the name Middleton, and it rang a bell, but Craig Middleton was playing maybe ten years or so prior to that game. Any relation?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I saw the name Middleton, and it rang a bell, but Craig Middleton was playing maybe ten years or so prior to that game. Any relation?
    No, he was a centreback who, if memory serves right, was captain of our reserves for a while.He was from the West Country I believe and I can remember seeing him play againstNewport for Dorchester at Spytty Park around a dozen years ago as County were winning what is now theConference South under Dean Holdsworth.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/1...ds-for-avenue/