He's Arron Ramsey not Aaron Rodgers mush
    It’s ok, we’re signing Travis Kelce to get on the end of his passes

Re: Ramsey In The Quarterback Role

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think Blakey has got that spot on

Playing in a deep role , organising , picking passes , saving his energy

30 starts of that a season

Have it !
    Or maybe in a more offensive role ? Yuk! Americanisms..

I guess all the stato's on here will prove me wrong, but I look at Aaron as a traveler with the ball, a player comfortable with the ball, jinking and turning his way to make space for a pass or shot, then looking for the return. The only other player in our squad with that talent is Ruben and that is in glimpses. I can not recall Aaron spraying 30 yard passes around the field ala Whitts in that QB role, he'll hold onto the ball too long in the wrong areas.

The deeper position hasn't worked with Wales, where he has loads of attacking options in front of him but no decent grafters to do the ugly stuff.

Wintle, Ralls, Adams, Rinomhota can be the get the ball back and give it to someone who can play, Rambo can only be a "10" because thats what he is, a central attacking midfielder (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I guess all the stato's on here will prove me wrong, but I look at Aaron as a traveler with the ball, a player comfortable with the ball, jinking and turning his way to make space for a pass or shot, then looking for the return. The only other player in our squad with that talent is Ruben and that is in glimpses. I can not recall Aaron spraying 30 yard passes around the field ala Whitts in that QB role, he'll hold onto the ball too long in the wrong areas.

The deeper position hasn't worked with Wales, where he has loads of attacking options in front of him but no decent grafters to do the ugly stuff.

Wintle, Ralls, Adams, Rinomhota can be the get the ball back and give it to someone who can play, Rambo can only be a "10" because thats what he is, a central attacking midfielder (IMHO)
    Agree with this

This is a good post. I've advocated Ramsey playing that deeper role and maybe only going when needed, but you're right, he's never really played that way, never really been that player who hits diagonals etc. You're right, he does carry the ball, but only for short distances in order to give him that little bit of space to make the pass. What he is good at is following the pass. And you're right, it hasn't played out for Wales. He is on the slide, why else would he be here? But plenty of us (including me) are talking like he's a 35 year old. It's a good shout you make

He is an incredibly fit 32-year-old young man. We all know about the injuries and he played a lot of senior football very,very young; so there are a lot of miles on his clock but he is not a geriatric !

I have barely seen him since Juventus (champions league level). With Wales, he and his Cardiff-born mate were leaders, so Aaron sacrificed himself for the team. Wales have a glut of attacking midfielders, but with Allen's injuries and Ledleys retirement lacked the two sitters that allow the flair players to do their stuff, so Aaron dropped deeper in front of an error-prone back three. He hasn't the discipline for that role, it goes against all his risk/reward instincts.

He will be head and shoulder the best attacking midfielder in the division, why sacrifice that?

We know he isn't playing 40 games, but i can't wait.....

He is an incredibly fit 32-year-old young man. We all know about the injuries and he played a lot of senior football very,very young; so there are a lot of miles on his clock but he is not a geriatric !

I have barely seen him since Juventus (champions league level). With Wales, he and his Cardiff-born mate were leaders, so Aaron sacrificed himself for the team. Wales have a glut of attacking midfielders, but with Allen's injuries and Ledleys retirement lacked the two sitters that allow the flair players to do their stuff, so Aaron dropped deeper in front of an error-prone back three. He hasn't the discipline for that role, it goes against all his risk/reward instincts.

He will be head and shoulder the best attacking midfielder in the division, why sacrifice that?

Post more mate, it's nice to read some good well thought out football stuff on here.

Spot on!

I’d imagine it would be Ramsey plus one of Ralls or Wintle in a 4-2-3-1 system.

Rambo and Colwill sharing the no 10 role 70/30 to 60/40.Big year for Ruben and couldn't be influenced by a better player IMO.

I can not recall Aaron spraying 30 yard passes around the field ala Whitts in that QB role, he'll hold onto the ball too long in the wrong areas
    I can
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxsD5JmjM...5V91zBHslHakWq

I remember him doing exactly this during his loan spell and having the stadium's collective jaw drop.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I can
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxsD5JmjM...5V91zBHslHakWq

I remember him doing exactly this during his loan spell and having the stadium's collective jaw drop.
    Maybe some of this , some of him running at the defenders scaring them to death

I can't see him doing a typical number 10 though these days

I think Brian Clough would have moved him into a more defensive , energy saving role but with a free ticket to mix things up given his age

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is a good post. I've advocated Ramsey playing that deeper role and maybe only going when needed, but you're right, he's never really played that way, never really been that player who hits diagonals etc. You're right, he does carry the ball, but only for short distances in order to give him that little bit of space to make the pass. What he is good at is following the pass. And you're right, it hasn't played out for Wales. He is on the slide, why else would he be here? But plenty of us (including me) are talking like he's a 35 year old. It's a good shout you make
    Great players adapt

He's a great player

There are different types of 10s. Some like Rivaldo, Coutinho or that lad from Man City on loan to us, would dribble and create.

Other 10s can just find space, slice open defences with a threaded pass, and don’t need to dribble so much. Totti was a bit like this, flicking the ball through, and not often using pace and dribbling so much.

Ramsey can play the 10 role, because he can take it on the half turn, thread through for wingers or strikers like Etete, Meite, O Dowda and Robinson to run on to.

Another fault in the modern game is just popping a passer with weak defensive attributes in front of the defence. If you have legs ro run and shut down the attacker then fine, as you are pressing even if you aren’t a great tackler. If the legs have gone you are exposed, and effectively leave a single central midfielder doing all the defensive work if it is 4-5-1.

At 10, the lack of running legs isn’t exposed.

He's not going to be playing centre back just a predominantly more defensive role

Joe Allen but with a bit more probing and movement

I think Brian Clough would have moved him into a more defensive , energy saving role but with a free ticket to mix things up given his age
    With one of the full backs inverting upfield, i think we'll need a sitter/protector (Wintle) and a ratter (Ralls but probably ending in Rinomhota) to get to any turnover ball quickly and aggressively to snuff out danger. I just can't see that being Aaron.

We are not wheeling in a old man, he'll do more KM's and reach a better top speed than Rubes, and i am with Sneggy it's a shirt share deal with them two this years

If you want to play Aaron as a so called “QB” that wouldn’t be good in a 4-5-1, but it could be in a centre of a 4-3-3. But you would need two very hard working central mids along him to be the box to box or defensive midfielders.

In the modern 4-3-3 there are few that have a luxury player in the 3 man midfield, unless your wide attacking players come back and work their socks off like in Klopp or Mourinho 4-3-3 or 4-5-1.

But to see attacking wide men in a 4-5-1, a 10 (a Colwill for example), and a luxury “quarter back” is rare, as it leaves you exposed on the counter attack when the opponents midfielders flood the centre of the field.

Interesting how this unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Rambo and Colwill sharing the no 10 role 70/30 to 60/40.Big year for Ruben and couldn't be influenced by a better player IMO.
    Well colwill has got to show something soon or he needs to be moved on

But Joe was always a defensive midfielder, Aaron isn't.

Great players adapt

He's a great player
    No doubt about that. I think that he will' preserve himself more now anyway, and he might well drop off a bit and choose his runs, when and when not to go etc, and i don't thnk that Bulut will have to tell him that. Llan bluebird raised some simple but quite obvious points in my opinion over the way Ramsey plays and what he has done previously in his career, which isn't to shoddy! why fix it...

Maybe some of this , some of him running at the defenders scaring them to death

I can't see him doing a typical number 10 though these days
    I reckon he'll be a lot like Kavanagh, we'll see him bossing it all around the pitch. If Ralls stays as captain, it'll be in name only.