+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning Bluebirds

Returning Bluebirds

Not including Aaron Ramsey or anyone who has been on loan at the club, how many players since the Sixties have had two separate spells at Cardiff City?

I can think of eight, although I’ve probably missed a couple. They are: Brian Clark, David Giles, Roger Gibbins, Ian Rodgerson, Mike Ford, Michael Chopra, Robert Earnshaw and Danny Gabbidon.

Any others?

Re: Returning Bluebirds

Nathan Blake has put in a few appearances in the hospitality and commentary box.

Gil Reece, Jason Koumas.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not including Aaron Ramsey or anyone who has been on loan at the club, how many players since the Sixties have had two separate spells at Cardiff City?

I can think of eight, although I’ve probably missed a couple. They are: Brian Clark, David Giles, Roger Gibbins, Ian Rodgerson, Mike Ford, Michael Chopra, Robert Earnshaw and Danny Gabbidon.

Any others?
    Didn't Willie Anderson come back after a spell in the States? It may only have been on loan though I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Gil Reece, Jason Koumas.
    Spedger
    I suppose Gil Reece could count, although he never made a first team appearance until his second spell.

Both of Jason Koumas’s spells were as a loan player.

Sadly, Spedger has never played for City.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Didn't Willie Anderson come back after a spell in the States? It may only have been on loan though I suppose.
    Anderson was on loan to an American side in the summer of 1975, but didn’t leave permanently. He arrived back late for the start of the 75/76 season and I think he was involved in some sort of a dispute with the club at the time, although he was still a contracted City player.

I suppose Gil Reece could count, although he never made a first team appearance until his second spell.

Here's a difficult one. Jason Gummer. He left Professional football while at city then re signed a bit later (how long that 'bit' was i don't know) Reckon i win a coconut for that.

I'm on form-Paul Maddy, although he didn't make an appearance during his 2nd spell in 1989. Preferring to sit in the tunnel area eating crisps while he pretended his leg was ****ed.

Andy Dibble. You didn't specify in what capacity, also Mark Hudson, Tom' Wotsits' Ramasut and probably plenty more.

Frank Burrows (technically a manager - but Im sure he could hold his own...)

On a different level - what players have come back and done better than they did when they were first here ?
    I cant think of any - which is not a good sign

Don Murray went to Hearts then returned.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don Murray went to Hearts then returned.
    Don played for Newport when he returned to South Wales, not City.

I've thought of another though - Tarki Micallef! He had two spells at City.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    On a different level - what players have come back and done better than they did when they were first here ?
    I cant think of any - which is not a good sign
    In fairness, I think the Ramsey situation is pretty much unique in City's history. He was just a kid when he was here first time around. He only started 11 league games before being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Here's a difficult one. Jason Gummer. He left Professional football while at city then re signed a bit later (how long that 'bit' was i don't know) Reckon i win a coconut for that.
    You need to update his Wikipedia page. It just shows one spell with City, broken by a loan to Torquay.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Gummer

Don played for Newport when he returned to South Wales, not City.

I've thought of another though - Tarki Micallef! He had two spells at City.
    My mistake, bloody memory

Paul Ramsey.

Eddie may a returning manager.

Paul Ramsey was poor on his return

Chris Pike…. and didn’t Nigel Stevenson also have 2 spells?… perhaps the first one was a loan

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Paul Ramsey.
    I’m almost certain Ramsey’s second spell was a loan deal.

I’m almost certain Ramsey’s second spell was a loan deal.
    I was watching the highlights of the first game of his second spell with us on You Tube recently and I thought Huw Johns I think it was said he’d signed for us permanently, otherwise I would have agreed with you - maybe I misheard him?

It was Ramsey’s return that got us into trouble with the FAW wasn’t it as we had one of those Welsh Cup runs which saw us chucked out of the tournament at various times as the arguments went back and forth, think we lost to Wrexham in the Final in the end.

Sign him up!

Any others?
    Both Chopra and Ramsey have had 3 spells at City. I don’t think anyone else will have.

I’ve just checked the PFA Premier & Football League Players’ Records 1946 to 2005 reference book. That says Ramsey’s second spell was a short-term loan, as does Richard Shepherd’s Definitive Cardiff City stats book.

Cant remember much about it to be honest. He only played 11 mid-season Division Two games between November 94 and February 95.