+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Current Wales Captain

Current Wales Captain

When was the last time we had the current Wales captain in our ranks?

Re: Current Wales Captain

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    When was the last time we had the current Wales captain in our ranks?
    Never?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Never?
    Fred Keenor captained Wales while he was at City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Never?
    Yes. Fred Keenor. Was captain v Scotland when City's Jimmy Blair was also Scotland's captain..

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yeah, I thought he probably had, wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Alf Sherwood, John Charles or Ivor Allchurch captained Wales in the odd game when they were City players either.

Im sure Kevin Ratcliffe was capped whilst with us. Im not sure if he was still the captain though.

Craig Bellamy 2010-11

Mike England.?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Keenor was the one that came to my mind, I imagine that he was the ‘not the one off’ captain (for want of a better description) given our status at the time. Couldn’t think of anyone else who was actually the ‘official’ skipper. Mike England didn’t actually play for Wales whilst with us I believe.

I don't think he should be the Wales captain, but that's a discussion for another day!

Possibly Alf Sherwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I don't think he should be the Wales captain, but that's a discussion for another day!
    Out of interest who would you pick?

Not blessed with standout candidates at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Out of interest who would you pick?

Not blessed with standout candidates at the moment.
    Anybody who can play the whole match, and besides that Rambo needs to focus on his own game without the added responsibility of being the captain.

Joe Ledley captained Wales. Was he at City at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Joe Ledley captained Wales. Was he at City at the time?
    Don’t think so but Joe was never Wales’ captain in the same vein as Ramsey, Bale, Speed, Williams, Ratcliffe etc. Ivor May have captained Wales whilst with us, I’m not sure but I’m on about ‘official, long term type skippers’.

Don’t think so but Joe was never Wales’ captain in the same vein as Ramsey, Bale, Speed, Williams, Ratcliffe etc. Ivor May have captained Wales whilst with us, I’m not sure but I’m on about ‘official, long term type skippers’.
    Ramsey has only been captain for 4 games, and it's not going all that great. Our best game was against Croatia and he went off after 60 mins. I'm not blaming Ramsey as there somebody above him that needs to go, but I do think it would be better for him to focus on his own game, and he can be a match winner for us when he's in the zone.

Ramsey has only been captain for 4 games, and it's not going all that great. Our best game was against Croatia and he went off after 60 mins. I'm not blaming Ramsey as there somebody above him that needs to go, but I do think it would be better for him to focus on his own game, and he can be a match winner for us when he's in the zone.
    What about someone like Ampadu?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What about someone like Ampadu?
    I think Ben Davies would be the top candidate. Ramsey also needs game management, he can't play two games in 4 days, and even asking for 90 minutes is a bit of a stretch. I don't know what Page was thinking when he made him captain.

I think Ban Davies would be the top candidate. Ramsey also needs game management, he can't play two games in 4 days, and even asking for 90 minutes is a bit of a stretch. I don't know what Page was thinking when he made him captain
    So Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in the Championship is going to be great.

What’s that got to do with the question? Which is when was the last time, if ever, we had the Welsh captain in our ranks, not whether he should be captain or somebody else should be captain. You’re attempting to turn a simple question into something else completely

What’s that got to do with the question? Which is when was the last time, if ever, we had the Welsh captain in our ranks, not whether he should be captain or somebody else should be captain. You’re attempting to turn a simple question into something else completely
    I did say it was a discussion for another day, but somebody asked me a question!

You'd want him on the pitch in those games where he can make a difference. The Championship is a tough league physically, so he will need to be looked after. I'd say he's a 60 to 70 minute player now if you want to get the best out of him, and Nice often took him off early.

Ramsey won't play in midweek unless it is a big game. He'll play 25-30 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He'll play 25-30 games.

If we are very lucky!

According to Wiki, Rob Page captained Wales once - against Hungary in Feb 2005. That month he left CCAFC and joined CCFC.
    Whether that match was before or after his move I don't know.