+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Speaking Bluebirds

Welsh Speaking Bluebirds

Ramsey is a well known Welsh speaker but who are the other fluent welsh speakers to play for us from the 60s onwards. I believe the Colwill brothers also speak Welsh and Emyr Huws also but are there others?

Re: Welsh Speaking Bluebirds

I believe former manager Trevor Morris was Welsh speaking

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I believe former manager Trevor Morris was Welsh speaking
    I did say 60s but as he was my uncle I will give you that one!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I did say 60s but as he was my uncle I will give you that one!
    A CCMB poster frantically starts to research Trevor Morris' family tree...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    On a more serious note he did have an interesting life and career. He won the DFC in WWII. As well as managing Cardiff he took Swansea Town (as was) to an FA Cup semi-final and was General Manager at Newport County. Then became Secretary of the FAW. Was great as a teenager and beyond as he would often give me pin badges of countries he had visited, Welsh kits and other paraphanalia and complimentary tickets for home and away matches.

He blotted his copybook a bit by transferring the Wales vs Scotland World Cup tie to Anfield when Ninian Park was under refurbishment. He got me a coach load of tickets though as half the passengers returned with stitches, cuts and bruises I don't think too many thanked me for it!

Mark azelwood was a Welsh speaker

is mark Delaney? he was from west Wales wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is mark Delaney? he was from west Wales wasn't he?
    Looks like a yes according to Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Delaney_(footballer)

Mats Dæhli.

Leighton Phillips

Ben Watts-Jones, Cardiff City manager 1934-1937 was Welsh speaking

On a more serious note he did have an interesting life and career. He won the DFC in WWII. As well as managing Cardiff he took Swansea Town (as was) to an FA Cup semi-final and was General Manager at Newport County. Then became Secretary of the FAW. Was great as a teenager and beyond as he would often give me pin badges of countries he had visited, Welsh kits and other paraphanalia and complimentary tickets for home and away matches.

He blotted his copybook a bit by transferring the Wales vs Scotland World Cup tie to Anfield when Ninian Park was under refurbishment. He got me a coach load of tickets though as half the passengers returned with stitches, cuts and bruises I don't think too many thanked me for it!
    ‘Under refurbishment’ That’s a new phrase for being banned from holding games due to the Yugoslavian game’s incidents.

Tom Ramasut speaks Welsh

First Team

Our famous old PA man Ali was a Welsh speaker, if that counts.

On the subject does anyone hear Welsh spoken on matchdays?
    As the resident English man on here I am, bizarrely, a Welsh speaker yet cannot remember ever hearing a conversation in the ground.
    Pretty sure, especially these days, that there must be a fair few speakers in the ground but where are they.

We have a knot of Welsh speakers in our row of seats in the Ninian Stand ST holders.
    I had a Caerdydd flag which was trashed by stewards in France. My pal has an Adar Gleison banner.

Joe Ledley is learning Welsh gyda llaw.

Lee Trundle is learning English, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Under refurbishment’ That’s a new phrase for being banned from holding games due to the Yugoslavian game’s incidents.
    My recollection was that Ninian was being massively downsized because of the Safety at Grounds Act rather than any Rudy Glockner sanctions. We could have played in front of 15 k in Cardiff or similar at Wrexham but went to Anfield instead in front of about 10k Welsh and 40k Jocks!

My recollection was that Ninian was being massively downsized because of the Safety at Grounds Act rather than any Rudy Glockner sanctions. We could have played in front of 15 k in Cardiff or similar at Wrexham but went to Anfield instead in front of about 10k Welsh and 40k Jocks!
    Just had a read up on it, apparently we were initially disqualified from the 1980 Euros which was then revised to a ban on any qualifying games at Ninian Park. I seem to remember that we had to play any internationals at least 100 miles away from Cardiff.....although that could be my mind playing tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

As the resident English man on here I am, bizarrely, a Welsh speaker yet cannot remember ever hearing a conversation in the ground.
    Pretty sure, especially these days, that there must be a fair few speakers in the ground but where are they.
    I hear a fair bit in the Canton Stand

I went to Tafwyl, the Welsh language music festival, on Saturday and there was a lot of people in Cardiff shirts, far more than I expected

Nat Jarvis?

Jon Parkin
    Adam Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Nat Jarvis?
    Yes.
    Another one that came to mind was Kevin Evans who I think scored with the chip against Chesterfield the last time we were in League 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

Do tell us your story regarding your speaking Welsh, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Just had a read up on it, apparently we were initially disqualified from the 1980 Euros which was then revised to a ban on any qualifying games at Ninian Park. I seem to remember that we had to play any internationals at least 100 miles away from Cardiff.....although that could be my mind playing tricks.
    I think that was European Championships and nothing to do with World Cups. But like Bob Mortimer once said about memories "It's like picking pollen off a mouse's handkerchief"!

Ramsey is a well known Welsh speaker but who are the other fluent welsh speakers to play for us from the 60s onwards. I believe the Colwill brothers also speak Welsh and Emyr Huws also but are there others?
    Tom James who played once for us in the Premier League went to Gartholwg, a Welsh language school in Pontypridd

I imagine a fair few of the youth players can speak Welsh with all the Welsh language schools popping up in south Wales