+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All time great Wales team

All time great Wales team

Some of the threads below have got me thinking about what the greatest all time Wales 11 would be. We've produced some of the worlds best at certain times as in Big Nev, John Charles, Bale and Ampadu (joke WB don't bite). But as the message board is full of old codgers they'll have more of an idea of what the best 11 is of all time, made up from any generation.

Also how do you think they would fair against the other home nations best 11 of all time? Pick theirs too.

I can come up with an England 11 but struggle big time with Scotland and NI.

Re: All time great Wales team

I have done this in the past.
    In my head mainly when I couldn’t go to sleep.

Always end up with John Charles at Centre Back and struggled with full backs.

I do think though that we would comfortably be able to hold our own against the other “home nations”.

Earnie
    Rush
    Bellamy
    Bale
    Hughes

Just up front , in recent times , some brilliant footballers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Earnie
    Rush
    Bellamy
    Bale
    Hughes

Just up front , in recent times , some brilliant footballers
    Earnie, wouldn’t be close to making the subs bench IMO.

Giggs Rush Bale

Would be my front 3 assuming John Charles is at Centre Back.

Hughes, Toshack, Saunders, Bellamy and probably countless others that I can’t think of in front of Earnie.

I agree with Bale, Rush and Giggs up front.
    If you were looking to have a big target man instead, although why would you with those in the team, you could go with John Toshack, Ron Davies or even Wyn Davies.

If it weren't for John Charles, I'd have plumped for Mike England and Kevin Ratcliffe as my centre backs.

Midfield is quite difficult but our own Aaron Ramsey (doesn't it sound good) would be a shoe-in. Claims too for Terry Yorath, Joe Allen, John Mahoney, Gary Speed and others.

Without checking I don't recall us having outstanding full backs, though I could be wrong. Honorable mentions to Mark Delaney, Robbie James and Rod Thomas but I'd definitely find a place for Ben Davies.

I always used to feel hopeful if Ron and Wyn Davies were fit to play.

Southall

Delaney, John Charles, Ratcliffe, Davies

Meredith, Ramsey, Allen, Giggs (reluctantly)

Rush, Bale

I picked that central midfield two because of what they did in 2016 and it’s very much a team I came up with in five minutes,I’m sure I’ve forgotten plenty of deserving candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Southall

Rush, Bale

I picked that central midfield two because of what they did in 2016 and it’s very much a team I came up with in five minutes,I’m sure I’ve forgotten plenty of deserving candidates.
    I don’t think you’re far off. How about adding the rest of the squad, equally as difficult!

Glad that Billy Meredith has got a mention, Leigh Richmond Roose, the playboy goalkeeper, would be an interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Southall

Rush, Bale

Peter Rodrigues? One of my all-time favourite players.

No one’s accommodated Cliff Jones

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No one’s accommodated Cliff Jones
    I got as far as typing his name in my team, but decided that you couldn't leave Giggs out in the end.

Players I actually saw playing, not necessarily everyone’s choice:-

Playing as 5-2-1-2

Jack Kelsey/Neville Southall (can’t decide)

Peter Rodrigues

Mike England

John Charles

Kevin Radcliffe

Ben Davies

Joe Allan

Barrie Hole

Aaron Ramsey

Ian Rush

Gareth Bale

Watching Wales since 1984:

Southall
    Delany, Ratcliffe, A.Williams, Davies
    Bale, Speed, Ramsey, Giggs
    Rush, Hughes

Chris Gunter anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Chris Gunter anyone?
    He may have more caps than JD Sports but no.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Some of the threads below have got me thinking about what the greatest all time Wales 11 would be. We've produced some of the worlds best at certain times as in Big Nev, John Charles, Bale and Ampadu (joke WB don't bite). But as the message board is full of old codgers they'll have more of an idea of what the best 11 is of all time, made up from any generation.

Also how do you think they would fair against the other home nations best 11 of all time? Pick theirs too.

I can come up with an England 11 but struggle big time with Scotland and NI.
    Thinking about the greatest England XI, strange as it may seem I would only have 3 of their World Cup winners in that team; Bobby Moore definitely, Gordon Banks (him or Shilton) and probably Bobby Charlton. Although he didn't play in the final, I know some would still have Jimmy Greaves in their all time greatest XI.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Southall
    Rush, Hughes
    Yeah this would probably be mine from players I've seen also.

Maybe someone else instead of speed, but not entirely sure who

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Southall
    Rush, Hughes
    That looks good - but I want John Charles in there somewhere. Not on the bench. Maybe in place of Williams?

My father in law (Man City fan) always said Trevor Ford was top notch

Southall
    Ratcliffe A Williams B Davies
    Speed Ramsey
    Bale Hughes Giggs
    Charles Rush

That’s a World Cup winning team

Not with Bale at RWB and Giggs at LWB and a decent but not worldbeating 3 in the back it's not. We'd certainly score a bunch but we'd let in a hell of a lot more.

What's interesting to me from this thread is that Delaney is in so many teams - certainly a great story and a decent mid level prem player in his (injury curtailed) heyday, but is that really the best RB we've ever produced?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I agree with Bale, Rush and Giggs up front.
    If you were looking to have a big target man instead, although why would you with those in the team, you could go with John Toshack, Ron Davies or even Wyn Davies.

If it weren't for John Charles, I'd have plumped for Mike England and Kevin Ratcliffe as my centre backs.

Midfield is quite difficult but our own Aaron Ramsey (doesn't it sound good) would be a shoe-in. Claims too for Terry Yorath, Joe Allen, John Mahoney, Gary Speed and others.

Without checking I don't recall us having outstanding full backs, though I could be wrong. Honorable mentions to Mark Delaney, Robbie James and Rod Thomas but I'd definitely find a place for Ben Davies.
    I think Joey Jones was a class left back. Has to get into the reckoning. Ben Davis for certain in there.
    Spedger

I do think the formation makes sense though, if you allow Charles at CB (bombing forward for set pieces and if we need a goal late in the game) you end up with something like this, which is the best I can do and seems like it would make some serious noise at major tournaments

Southall
    Ratcliffe Charles Davies
    Delaney/Gunter Speed Ramsey Bale
    Giggs
    Hughes Rush

Ivor Allchurch anone?