+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aaron Ramsey: 'I wanted him to join Manchester United' - ex-Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

International

Aaron Ramsey: 'I wanted him to join Manchester United' - ex-Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

This may have already been posted but I hadn't seen it f it was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66201740

I agree Man United would have been a better move for him and us!

And more BBC Ramsey stories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66206913

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66216138

Re: Aaron Ramsey: 'I wanted him to join Manchester United' - ex-Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    This may have already been posted but I hadn't seen it f it was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66201740

I agree Man United would have been a better move for him and us!

And more BBC Ramsey stories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66206913

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66216138
    I disagree that United would’ve been a better move for him, whilst there would’ve been benefits of playing under Ferguson, he also may never have broken in and arsenal at the time were very willing to throw young players in and give them a chance.

What I don’t and will never understand is why the club accepted Arsenal’s bid. From what has been reported the cash value was the same but United offered him back on loan for a season (which may have made the difference to our promotion bid that year), if arsenal weren’t prepared to loan him then fair enough but we were in a position to negotiate a higher fee because of that and yet failed to do so.

Re: Aaron Ramsey: 'I wanted him to join Manchester United' - ex-Cardiff City boss Dave Jones

I remember it at the time, Utd, Arsenal and Everton were the teams that had met the 5 mill price tag

from his development, Arsenal imho was the best choice for him, straight training with the 1st team, instead of a years loan with us

we were skint at the time ( whats new ) and accepted a lower amount for the cash upfront ( 4.8 Mill springs to mind )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I remember it at the time, Utd, Arsenal and Everton were the teams that had met the 5 mill price tag

from his development, Arsenal imho was the best choice for him, straight training with the 1st team, instead of a years loan with us

we were skint at the time ( whats new ) and accepted a lower amount for the cash upfront ( 4.8 Mill springs to mind )
    Arsenal's first game that season was a Champions' League qualifier at FC Twente. Ramsey started. What a vote of confidence that was for Rambo.

I think if he'd have stayed on loan, Jones would have had him in and out of the starting line up and he wouldn't have been the same player a season later.

Jones said that because we’d have had him on loan for the season if he signed for Man United.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Arsenal's first game that season was a Champions' League qualifier at FC Twente. Ramsey started. What a vote of confidence that was for Rambo.

I think if he'd have stayed on loan, Jones would have had him in and out of the starting line up and he wouldn't have been the same player a season later.
    I’ve never forgiven Jones for not playing him from the start against Pompey. They were mediocre that day and Ramsey could have made all the difference. He strolled through the game against Boro in the qtr final.
    I know he was signing for Arsenal a few days after the FA cup final, but he may well have left us as FA cup winners

Without doubt he should have started the FA Cup Final.

He should have been a regular anyway. Abysmal management by Jones.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    I disagree that United would’ve been a better move for him, whilst there would’ve been benefits of playing under Ferguson, he also may never have broken in and arsenal at the time were very willing to throw young players in and give them a chance.

What I don’t and will never understand is why the club accepted Arsenal’s bid. From what has been reported the cash value was the same but United offered him back on loan for a season (which may have made the difference to our promotion bid that year), if arsenal weren’t prepared to loan him then fair enough but we were in a position to negotiate a higher fee because of that and yet failed to do so.
    He would have come back and shone for us the next season, Fergie would have played him the season after, he would have been surrounded by the best players in the League, he would have won trophies and he would have ended up a much better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Even at 17 and at right back, he looked like he had two seconds over everyone else on the pitch just from his body positions and first touch. He would have been comfortable starting.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve never forgiven Jones for not playing him from the start against Pompey. They were mediocre that day and Ramsey could have made all the difference. He strolled through the game against Boro in the qtr final.
    I know he was signing for Arsenal a few days after the FA cup final, but he may well have left us as FA cup winners
    Enckelman. That's why we lost. Rambo could nothing about that. One ****ing nil. Still gutted. Stoke and Blackpool were worse though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Imagine if Warnock had managed him. He'd have eventually made his debut aged 23.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Imagine if Warnock had managed him. He'd have eventually made his debut aged 23.

I wish Jones had left instead of Ramsey

Always taking the praise for turning round ccfc but lennie was a better manager with what he had

He'd have been a club legend at Weston Super Mare, oh what could have been!