+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less than three weeks to go, we need to strengthen the defensive unit

International

Less than three weeks to go, we need to strengthen the defensive unit

A keeper is essential, there has been talk of one from Fulham.

Maybe two fullbacks and will Goutas be as good as Kipre, so perhaps a centre half too?

Where will NG play?

What else do we need?

Re: Less than three weeks to go, we need to strengthen the defensive unit

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    A keeper is essential, there has been talk of one from Fulham.

Maybe two fullbacks and will Goutas be as good as Kipre, so perhaps a centre half too?

Where will NG play?

What else do we need?
    None of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    None of the above.

We are desperate for a decent goalkeeper

We really need a new keeper and more depth in central defence. A new left back will depend on whether Bagan is part of the squad or loaned out. I think we are okay at right back and wouldn't see that as a priority to strengthen unless a really good opportunity presented itself.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We are desperate for a decent goalkeeper
    100% why would any Manager worth his salt start a season knowing the keeper is a liability and that we are highly likely to concede at least one goal a game from soft shots that Championship standard keepers should easily save?

I'm sure we will get a keeper, otherwise forget a top-half finish.

The defence needs strengthening too, McGuiness is inconsistent, we don't know about the new guy, but Kipre will be hard to replace, and if Collins is not as good as he looked at the start of last year or got injured we don't have any back up other than O'Dowda who would be wasted there and is not a full-back anyway.

International

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    We really need a new keeper and more depth in central defence. A new left back will depend on whether Bagan is part of the squad or loaned out. I think we are okay at right back and wouldn't see that as a priority to strengthen unless a really good opportunity presented itself.
    Agree, I'm happy with NG and Romeo, but if NG gets shifted back to the centre we would need cover for Romeo or ideally someone a bit younger and faster and him as back up, but it's not as much of a priority.

International

None of the above.
    good one

Be interesting to see the impact of the new and hopefully commanding Goutas at the back. He seemed to be organising the back four a lot during the last game I saw. A stronger defence will give us a better insight into the quality of the keeper, as he won’t be covering for so many mistakes hopefully and concentrating more on his positioning, etc.

International

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Be interesting to see the impact of the new and hopefully commanding Goutas at the back. He seemed to be organising the back four a lot during the last game I saw. A stronger defence will give us a better insight into the quality of the keeper, as he won’t be covering for so many mistakes hopefully and concentrating more on his positioning, etc.
    I haven't seen him, but you are right he is the key, if he is very good we will need fewer defenders, do you think he will be better than Kipre?

We certainly need a goalie. We've been spoiled for the last 20 years or so. Now were lacking.

QPR just signed Asmir Begović on loan until June. Would have been happy with that, decent deal for them.

New CB and new keeper are essential.

Romeo is ok as cover for Ng , weve a few who can cover for Collins. If Bagan can get a season long loan somewhere then id try and bring a LB in.

None of our keepers are good enough. We have to hope Goutas is good enough as we have a major problem at CB if he isnt. Im sure Bulut knows this and a CB and GK will be coming.

Any centre back will be a bench sitter behind Goutas & McGuiness, so it will be difficult to sell. We definitely need another CB instead of Simpson but it will be a tough sell. Can’t ask Kipre back if he’s not 1st choice.

GK my feeling is there is no intent, as they’re all under contract. I hope I’m wrong, as many others have said this is the weakest goalkeeping group we’ve had for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Any centre back will be a bench sitter behind Goutas & McGuiness, so it will be difficult to sell. We definitely need another CB instead of Simpson but it will be a tough sell. Can’t ask Kipre back if he’s not 1st choice.

GK my feeling is there is no intent, as they’re all under contract. I hope I’m wrong, as many others have said this is the weakest goalkeeping group we’ve had for decades.
    Depends, if we can get someone better than McGuiness and if he won’t sign a new contract then stick him on the bench.

None of the above.
    We had the 22nd best record in the league last season, the idea that none of the above need strengthening is nuts, especially as we've lost one of our better defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We had the 22nd best record in the league last season, the idea that none of the above need strengthening is nuts, especially as we've lost one of our better defenders.
    what looks to be our first choice full backs this season both didnt play there (much) last season and we have a new CB and a CB who only played half of last season.

we need a centre back, for sure. but i think ng/romeo is good enough for right back. and collins/bagan/o'dowda is fine for LB

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    what looks to be our first choice full backs this season both didnt play there (much) last season and we have a new CB and a CB who only played half of last season.

we need a centre back, for sure. but i think ng/romeo is good enough for right back. and collins/bagan/o'dowda is fine for LB
    We didn’t get to see how good Collins is and we don’t know how he will be after his injury.
    O’Dowda is a waste at Left Back and from what we’ve seen, Bagan isn’t up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    We didn’t get to see how good Collins is and we don’t know how he will be after his injury.
    O’Dowda is a waste at Left Back and from what we’ve seen, Bagan isn’t up to it.
    O'dowda might only be able to get in the side at left back. i happen to think Bagan can still make it, but the only person who opinion matters i guess is Bulut. im sure i read somewhere they wanted to get him out on loan. so hes either happy to go with Collins and o'dowda/simpson/ralls cover or will have to get a LB in.

We havent as yet really been linked with any though.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    100% why would any Manager worth his salt start a season knowing the keeper is a liability and that we are highly likely to concede at least one goal a game from soft shots that Championship standard keepers should easily save?

I'm sure we will get a keeper, otherwise forget a top-half finish.

The defence needs strengthening too, McGuiness is inconsistent, we don't know about the new guy, but Kipre will be hard to replace, and if Collins is not as good as he looked at the start of last year or got injured we don't have any back up other than O'Dowda who would be wasted there and is not a full-back anyway.
    at least one goal a game that a championship keeper would save is nonsense if that was the case then just changing the keeper alone would mean we conceded 46 goals less and would be playoff contenders. yes he let in a few ones that he could have done better but let's not get carried away here

I’ll be surprised if we are looking for a new keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ll be surprised if we are looking for a new keeper.
    Why?

if I had to sign one more defensive player, it would be a centre back

We need to strengthen the midfield unit!

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Why?
    Because we’ve got two under contract and I have heard absolutely nothing to suggest that the club are looking for a new keeper or that they are dissatisfied with Allsop - I thought Allsop’s performances tailed off as the season went on and I wouldn’t be against us signing a new keeper, but I don’t see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Because we’ve got two under contract and I have heard absolutely nothing to suggest that the club are looking for a new keeper or that they are dissatisfied with Allsop - I thought Allsop’s performances tailed off as the season went on and I wouldn’t be against us signing a new keeper, but I don’t see it happening.
    Exactly this. We also have a new goalkeeping coach, so I wouldn’t expect any change unless he makes a strong recommendation to Bulut.