+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflation drops again

Re: Inflation drops again

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I couldn't give a monkeys about petrol prices as i don't have a car.
    Food is still more expensive rents have shot up.
    The food you buy needs to be transported by vehicles using fuel.
    rents have gone up - as most landlords are trying to get out the market asap. Less supply - same demand - price goes up.
    Landlords (as I have recently discovered) seem to be happy with a 5% interest rate in a savings account compared to 6-7% yield on a property and have all the extra hassle of repairs / non payments / unable to get non payers out etc.

There is a lot to be said for a safe and steady economy and growth - since covid / ukraine the waters have been somewhat choppy

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I couldn't give a monkeys about petrol prices as i don't have a car.
    Food is still more expensive rents have shot up.
    And i couldn't give a monkeys about rent. I own my own house.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    The food you buy needs to be transported by vehicles using fuel.
    rents have gone up - as most landlords are trying to get out the market asap. Less supply - same demand - price goes up.
    Landlords (as I have recently discovered) seem to be happy with a 5% interest rate in a savings account compared to 6-7% yield on a property and have all the extra hassle of repairs / non payments / unable to get non payers out etc.

There is a lot to be said for a safe and steady economy and growth - since covid / ukraine the waters have been somewhat choppy
    And they weren’t exactly calm before Covid/Ukraine. As someone who saw my works pension for this month eaten up by bills in three days, I certainly want inflation down, but it comes to something when an inflation rate of 7:9 is seen as a cause for celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Even cost of going down West has gone through the roof.

We are going to caravan for a few days in August £600 for 4 nights in caravan park in North Gower and thats with £250 off deal.

They put their prices up the year of "Staycation" after covid and havent put them back down. They wanted £1300 for a week. I remember paying that for 10 days for 4 us when they were little to go to a 5 star hotel all inclusive in Rhodes.
    Don't give your money to jack filth

Cancel the holiday

At least if you go to Tenby they are probably ex pat brummies

No no and no - lots on this board wanted inflation to go up - so they could blame the govt. Good news is not what this board strives on. Remember folks there is a lot of hate out there on this board - and it needs as much fuel and negativity as it can possibly get.
    You are doing an incredible job of pretending not to be a tory but I think you are failing now

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not allowed? People still are believe me…..it’s not even that much cheaper this week compared to next, the posh/private schools are already off as they get longer, ironic as there the ones who can probably afford to go whenever but they all go straight away. Plenty of Doctors/consultants away this week so don’t go to A&E
    Private schools around here have been on holiday for 3 weeks now, I have always said the summer school holiday idea is now so far out of date its unreal, we dont really have mass factory shut-downs these days, so why not make the summer holiday shorter ( maybe 4 weeks and have 2 weeks at 1/2 terms ) , stagger them 1/2 terms around the country then these holiday places won't have the upper hand with its increased prices

we looked at center parcs for 1st week in Aug, silly money, cheapest was £3200, I was expecting it to be honest, but still a little shocked at £3200 - £3900

from my point of view, the $ exchange rate has slightly improved, means Im paying the same price for this years US trip as I did last year, ( I know things are slightly more expensive over in the US right now, so we will adjust trip accordingly )

We might do a little more of europe in midweek breaks this summer, but its going to be a " last minute decision and go for it "

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Private schools around here have been on holiday for 3 weeks now, I have always said the summer school holiday idea is now so far out of date its unreal, we dont really have mass factory shut-downs these days, so why not make the summer holiday shorter ( maybe 4 weeks and have 2 weeks at 1/2 terms ) , stagger them 1/2 terms around the country then these holiday places won't have the upper hand with its increased prices

we looked at center parcs for 1st week in Aug, silly money, cheapest was £3200, I was expecting it to be honest, but still a little shocked at £3200 - £3900

from my point of view, the $ exchange rate has slightly improved, means Im paying the same price for this years US trip as I did last year, ( I know things are slightly more expensive over in the US right now, so we will adjust trip accordingly )

We might do a little more of europe in midweek breaks this summer, but its going to be a " last minute decision and go for it "
    This year's US trip ?

If you are going to the states on a regular basis or anywhere pricey during these tough times then you are a lucky man

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And they weren’t exactly calm before Covid/Ukraine. As someone who saw my works pension for this month eaten up by bills in three days, I certainly want inflation down, but it comes to something when an inflation rate of 7:9 is seen as a cause for celebration.
    Do you get a state pension ? - if so the triple lock (I think that's what it is called) went up with the rate of inflation ?

If you have a private pension - then your pension fund is no doubt invested in lots of companies, shares, guilds, as well as a whole of other places.

If you are self employed - then sometimes you have good years and sometimes you have bad years - and the money you make depends on the market rate.

The problem most countries have is that inflationary problems re Ukraine are out of our control, same goes for Russian oil.

Would people would accept a payrise when inflation is high and when it comes back down again - they take a pay cut ?

Do you get a state pension ? - if so the triple lock (I think that's what it is called) went up with the rate of inflation ?

If you have a private pension - then your pension fund is no doubt invested in lots of companies, shares, guilds, as well as a whole of other places.

If you are self employed - then sometimes you have good years and sometimes you have bad years - and the money you make depends on the market rate.

The problem most countries have is that inflationary problems re Ukraine are out of our control, same goes for Russian oil.

Would people would accept a payrise when inflation is high and when it comes back down again - they take a pay cut ?
    [ ] Understands inflation

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    You'd think it can't continue really. At this pace in 20 years with how slow wages are rising. Then then BoE put out that nugget of advice to not expect pay rises in our jobs

They pulled the ladder up generations ago, but the basements only starting to flood
    And the tax thresholds have been frozen as well, so even if you get a decent pay rise, your disposable income doesn't increase by nearly as much.

I’ll get my four weekly state pension on Wednesday and I get my works pension, which is slightly more than the state pension, on the 17th of each month. So, my works pension was paid into my bank account on Monday and I’ve had to take money out of my savings to stop my bank account going into the red on Thursday. Now, a fair portion of my work pension goes straight into my savings, but it’s never all disappeared within three days before and I have had no exceptional payments to make this month.

No because prices are not falling.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ll get my four weekly state pension on Wednesday and I get my works pension, which is slightly more than the state pension, on the 17th of each month. So, my works pension was paid into my bank account on Monday and I’ve had to take money out of my savings to stop my bank account going into the red on Thursday. Now, a fair portion of my work pension goes straight into my savings, but it’s never all disappeared within three days before and I have had no exceptional payments to make this month.
    Not many people realise that you can have your state pension paid weekly.

Was told today, that the cost of a funeral has dropped 2 years in a row! Just the news I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Was told today, that the cost of a funeral has dropped 2 years in a row! Just the news I wanted
    My brother and I don't intend having one.

Lucky my son and the NHS saved me last August then!!!

International

Florida? How much these days?

International

That just cremation company has probably helped out with that.

The Office for National Statistics said on Friday (21 July) that retail sales had risen by 0.7% last month, a larger increase than the 0.2% forecast by economists polled by Reuters, following a rise of 0.1% in May.

Even better news as this effects ordinary folk not the rich
    Discount pub chain JD Wetherspoon is on course for a record year, the company has said, after its sales in Easter week were the highest they have ever been.

Sales in the current financial year are likely to reach record levels, Wetherspoons said in its third-quarter trading update.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Florida? How much these days?

Depends on your budget, I plan Disney / Orlando holidays for others as a bit of a hobby, a few from the last few months, done a budget trip £8.5 K for the 4 of them, this was not staying on disney, flying TUI ,then upto near 20 K, flying BA, staying in a nice disney hotel, doing a few Star Wars things ( lightsaber build and going to the cantina )

but for point of reference my trips

Pre covid ( *PC ), Flights were about £3 K, Now, the same

14 day disney tickets *PC were just under £400 each , now just under £500

17 day car hire *PC about £600, now £550

A Sit down table service meal in Disney *PC for 4 people, £200, now £250 ( maybe £280 )

a Coke, *PC $4, now almost $6

I used to budget £ 10 - 12 K pr trip, will still do the same, but to combat the meal costs onsite, we will eat a few offsite, the kids love Taco Bell and we can all eat for $30, so that saves us $220 over a disney meal, do that twice and the food costs look similar

We are also doing a disney cruise, so its unfair to compare last years disney trip with this years, but £4 K more ( due to the cruise )

International

Depends on your budget, I plan Disney / Orlando holidays for others as a bit of a hobby, a few from the last few months, done a budget trip £8.5 K for the 4 of them, this was not staying on disney, flying TUI ,then upto near 20 K, flying BA, staying in a nice disney hotel, doing a few Star Wars things ( lightsaber build and going to the cantina )

A Sit down table service meal in Disney *PC for 4 people, £200, now £250 ( maybe £280 )

I used to budget £ 10 - 12 K pr trip, will still do the same, but to combat the meal costs onsite, we will eat a few offsite, the kids love Taco Bell and we can all eat for $30, so that saves us $220 over a disney meal, do that twice and the food costs look similar

We are also doing a disney cruise, so its unfair to compare last years disney trip with this years, but £4 K more ( due to the cruise )

Nice one thanks they are fantastic holidays.

I used to go when the kids were home and probably about 10 years ago was the last time we did it for £6K. We used to hire big villas and I shared with my sister and her kids, I'm pretty sure the tickets were quite cheap under £200 but the exchange rate was better too.

I might go in 2025 maybe May so my Grandaughter can see it, so will pm you nearer the time for some up to date advice

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Nice one thanks they are fantastic holidays.

I used to go when the kids were home and probably about 10 years ago was the last time we did it for £6K. We used to hire big villas and I shared with my sister and her kids, I'm pretty sure the tickets were quite cheap under £200 but the exchange rate was better too.

I might go in 2025 maybe May so my Grandaughter can see it, so will pm you nearer the time for some up to date advice
    Yea the exchange rate has made it a little more pricey, but its moving back in the right direction, 10 years ago it would have been $1.7 to the £1 , 15 years ago it was $2 - £1, now its below $1.3 that really did make a difference

Yea PM me, I love to help plan a trip, Gives me something to do in the evenings and nice to help others have a great trip

Definitely the food is the main cost, if you need to eat out three times a day you will be in for a shock. Laughably the new dining plan gives you $1000 if you stay two weeks! So that should cover two days maybe….
    Reckon last years trip cost twice the one we did there in 2018, which was 3k all in, tickets and food for the whole 7 days. No chance we could do that now…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Definitely the food is the main cost, if you need to eat out three times a day you will be in for a shock. Laughably the new dining plan gives you $1000 if you stay two weeks! So that should cover two days maybe….
    Reckon last years trip cost twice the one we did there in 2018, which was 3k all in, tickets and food for the whole 7 days. No chance we could do that now…..
    When a Quick service ( QS ) meal costs $23 for a burger, Fries and a drink each, family of 4 its close to $100 ( most prob for Lunch )

A Table service ( TS ) costs you $300 ( for most Dinner )

something for breakfast and a snack

that $1000 isnt lasting you long ( you are right, 2 or 3 days )

long gone are the Dining plans with a free TS, QS and 2 snacks per person per day, they were enjoyable though

Off-site is where its at these days for most, some nice new restaurants opening up since Covid with the food bill under $150 for a fam of 4 for a evening meal ( then head back to the parks after that )

When a Quick service ( QS ) meal costs $23 for a burger, Fries and a drink each, family of 4 its close to $100 ( most prob for Lunch )

A Table service ( TS ) costs you $300 ( for most Dinner )

something for breakfast and a snack

that $1000 isnt lasting you long ( you are right, 2 or 3 days )

long gone are the Dining plans with a free TS, QS and 2 snacks per person per day, they were enjoyable though

Off-site is where its at these days for most, some nice new restaurants opening up since Covid with the food bill under $150 for a fam of 4 for a evening meal ( then head back to the parks after that )
    don't forget the 20 per cent tipping on top too when eating out !

just back from the sates and the cost of food and drink is crazy especially in California