+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Championship Odds

Re: Championship Odds

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The other 21 teams are not standing still either which has an impact on odds. Birmingham for instance seem to have sorted out some of their ownership issues and have recruited a few which has moved them from one of the big favourites for the drop.
    Yes, I’ve noticed they’ve been moving up on the bookies’ lists. But I’m surprised City have actually moved down after the Ramsey signing in particular (the price was 66/1 this time last week).

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yes, I’ve noticed they’ve been moving up on the bookies’ lists. But I’m surprised City have actually moved down after the Ramsey signing in particular (the price was 66/1 this time last week).
    Don't bookies lengthen odds to encourage people to take a punt on them because few are tempted at the shorter odds offered, or is that too simplistic a view?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Don't bookies lengthen odds to encourage people to take a punt on them because few are tempted at the shorter odds offered, or is that too simplistic a view?
    That happens when they’re trying to balance the books, particularly when events are close to happening (horse races, etc) or when other horses, teams, etc, have been heavily backed, but it’s not really the way it would work in a market like this at this early stage.

Generally, the firms’ odds compilers simply take a view when pricing up pre-season markets like this.

Surely our odds depend on what other clubs are doing. If we signed 2 English International players and other teams didnt - then our odds would shorten.
    If other teams all signed 4 English internationals - then our odds would drift a bit.
    My point being - no matter what we do - if it's deemed other clubs have signed better players - we'll go down the pecking order.

Are bookies that tuned in to championship clubs activity ? - or are they just messing with the odds in order to get money in to offset bets ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Surely our odds depend on what other clubs are doing. If we signed 2 English International players and other teams didnt - then our odds would shorten.
    If other teams all signed 4 English internationals - then our odds would drift a bit.
    My point being - no matter what we do - if it's deemed other clubs have signed better players - we'll go down the pecking order.

Are bookies that tuned in to championship clubs activity ? - or are they just messing with the odds in order to get money in to offset bets ?
    At this early stage, I'm sure the Manager has a lot to do with it, they are not sure about Bulut in a new League.

So it's as simple as - new manager not managed in the championship therefor will lengthen the odds - nothing more than that.
    I wonder if we had Warnock in charge and signed the same players - what would the odds be ?

International

So it's as simple as - new manager not managed in the championship therefor will lengthen the odds - nothing more than that.
    I wonder if we had Warnock in charge and signed the same players - what would the odds be ?
    Probably not much different he's past it now, he's a short-term save a team from relegation type Manager now.

I didn't say it was the only factor.

Warnock would never have signed Ramsey, too much jam.

International

City are 20/1 for promotion with SkyBet, ranked 21st on their list. Only Huddersfield (also 20/1), Plymouth (33/1) and Rotherham (40/1) are equal or bigger prices.

Coral (who always give miserable odds) have City ranked 20th at 14/1. They also put QPR in at 14/1, followed by Huddersfield at 16/1, Plymouth and Rotherham (both 22/1).
    What are they now?

I'd have thought we'd caught some attention from the bookies especially as we can sign players in January?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    What are they now?

I'd have thought we'd caught some attention from the bookies especially as we can sign players in January?
    With Skybet 20/1 for promotion. 150/1 to win it.

On promotion only 5 teams below us in the betting 1 of which is the Jacks.

8/1 for relegation.

3/1 Swansea

Rotherham 2/5 favs for relegation. Up next what could possibly go wrong.🤣🤣

What are they now?
    Still 20/1 for promotion, ranked 18th. But some of the odds at the top of the list have shortened significantly while some of those at the bottom have lengthened dramatically.

City are now 8/1 for relegation.

International

Still 20/1 for promotion, ranked 18th. But some of the odds at the top of the list have shortened significantly while some of those at the bottom have lengthened dramatically.

City are now 8/1 for relegation.
    The bookies are rarely wrong, but 20/1 sounds reasonable odds, we've played a lot of the top teams away already, but early days and I shouldn't get carried away, things can change quickly.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    8/1 for relegation.

3/1 Swansea

Rotherham 2/5 favs for relegation. Up next what could possibly go wrong.����
    True remember QPR!

The bookies are rarely wrong, but 20/1 sounds reasonable odds, we've played a lot of the top teams away already, but early days and I shouldn't get carried away, things can change quickly.
    The odds to win the title are now 150/1 from 50/1 when the book opened, but that will be the market settling down properly with some genuine evidence to go on in terms of results and the transfer window being closed.

International

The odds to win the title are now 150/1 from 50/1 when the book opened, but that will be the market settling down properly with some genuine evidence to go on in terms of results and the transfer window being closed.
    Leicester should be able to maintain a high point-per-game ratio with a stronger squad and money to buy what's needed in January, they look like this year's Burnley.

Leicester should be able to maintain a high point-per-game ratio with a stronger squad and money to buy what's needed in January, they look like this year's Burnley.
    Leicester were 4/1 favourites when the market opened. That looks a big price now. They are currently 11/8.

International

Are there odds on City making the playoff, and/or getting promoted as runners-up or play off winners?

International

Leicester were 4/1 favourites when the market opened. That looks a big price now. They are currently 11/8.
    Promotion comes down to squad strength in depth, we look a lot stronger outside the first eleven than we have for many years, who knows but where we are now, it looks like there is a chance of hitting the top six, I don't gamble normally but I might stick the price of one pint on in the hope of getting twenty!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Are there odds on City making the playoff, and/or getting promoted as runners-up or play off winners?
    13/2 to finish in the top six, 20/1 for promotion.

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes reaching playoffs might be a better option.

International

13/2 to finish in the top six, 20/1 for promotion.
    A pint (fiver) on each

Our price for promotion before the season started was 20/1, and as already stated it’s that price now.

The odds increased after the first few games and have now shortened again after our good run but the odds also reflect how strong teams like Leicester and Ipswich look which obviously affect our chance of getting one of the three promotion spots.