+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England Cricket

England Cricket

Always wanted England to lose (in any sport really) because it's England.

Now trying to support them as I didn't realise they prop up Glamorgan.

Should they have more of a nod to Wales in their name, badge and everything else? Would be nice to see a Welshman in the squad.

Re: England Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Always wanted England to lose (in any sport really) because it's England.

Now trying to support them as I didn't realise they prop up Glamorgan.

Should they have more of a nod to Wales in their name, badge and everything else? Would be nice to see a Welshman in the squad.
    Phil Salt is the only Welsh player involved with England internationally at the moment but he wont be getting in the Test squad.

Wales has always had great representation both players and very high administration positions .

We have to produce the players locally and that's Glammys job they're good enough they play ask Croft, Jones , Morris, Maynard , to name a few who have done well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wales has always had great representation both players and very high administration positions .

We have to produce the players locally and that's Glammys job they're good enough they play ask Croft, Jones , Morris, Maynard , to name a few who have done well
    A long running and historical debate on how much better players from less fashionable counties (like Glamorgan) had to be than those playing for London based/southern countries. Also how many chances they got when they were selected.
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 21-07-23 at 10:47. Reason: Spelling typo

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    A long running and historical debate on how much better players from less fashionable counties (like Glamorgan) had to be than those playing for London based/southern countries. Also how many chances they got when they were selected.
    Not necessarily southern based. London yes. Yorkshire Lancs players you can include with the London clubs. The bigger counties.

Sophia Gardens does stage England games fairly regularly at least.

Maybe they could add a dragon to the bottom of their badge. Adding dragons to the bottom of badges is always popular...

Wales' sporting relationship with England is of course very interesting. Lots of hatred for the rugby team. Mixed views on the football team, lots of support for English club sides, all pretty friendly bar a few Nationalists in the Olympics etc. Cricket is perhaps most interesting of all. It is officially England and Wales but 99% of the time its referred to as England and everyone seems cool with that and happy to wear the three lions etc. I know a few 'red-wallers' at the football who will happily wear England cricket stuff.

It is true the ECB (Why not the EWCB?) has been very good to Glamorgan, but I am always surprised there is not more of a move for a formal Welsh team.

We would be shite of course, but still.

Personally, I'm one of those who is very supportive of England in cricket although I would probably be happier to see Wales referenced a bit more and a few more Welsh flags in the crowd etc.

I used to love cricket , glamorgan , England although I loved seeing the toffs get done by the windies

Played until my early forties

Now I have no interest at all

I suppose it fills a hole in the summer and I know loads of city fans follow glammy

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Not necessarily southern based. London yes. Yorkshire Lancs players you can include with the London clubs. The bigger counties.
    Yes true I was generalising.
    Not just Glamorgan of course, I was a massive fan of Derek Randall in my teens and they couldn't wait to drop him for Clive Radley or Graham Roope. Hence my anti Middlesex and Surrey stance (no pun) started early.
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 21-07-23 at 11:46. Reason: Spelling typo

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to love cricket , glamorgan , England although I loved seeing the toffs get done by the windies

Played until my early forties

Now I have no interest at all

I suppose it fills a hole in the summer and I know loads of city fans follow glammy
    I played till I was about 40, packed it in too early really. Did your drop in interest coincide with cricket going to Sky? If so I don't think you're alone

Yes true I was generalising.
    Not just Glamorgan of course, I was a massive fan of Derek Randall in my teens and they could wait to drop him for Clive Radley or Graham Roope. Hence my anti Middlesex and Surrey stance (no pun) started early.
    Radley and Roope were before my time but Randall was in a similar position with Mike Gatting who got so many chances.

I played till I was about 40, packed it in too early really. Did your drop in interest coincide with cricket going to Sky? If so I don't think you're alone
    You have read me like a book

Yes , when money started ruling the game and sky turned it into pay or you can't watch I knocked it on the head

Cardiff born Kiran Carlson is having a very good season and scored a run a ball seventy odd this morning, can’t see him getting into the senior England squad at the moment, but he’s a Bazball type player and you’d like to think he’d be seriously considered for any Lions (B team) squad this winter.

I’ve always taken a view you can support who ever you like, if you don’t want to support England Cricket then it doesn’t really matter.

My view has always been that the sport is stronger in Wales by being part of the ECB than not. I mean how many on here are popping along to support Cardiff on their summer weekends.

I’ve supported Wales MC in the past and become an annual member just to put some money into the game that way, I think the structure now supports grass roots in Wales quite well.

We have seen some huge investments into our club which couldn’t have been done without ECB financial support, and I suppose that is a good thing.

Welsh Cricket and Football would collapse like a cheap deckchair if weren’t for the English propping us up.

Don Shepherd Glamorgan bowler was one of the best in his time but was never selected for Englands tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    Don Shepherd Glamorgan bowler was one of the best in his time but was never selected for Englands tests.
    I'm guessing it was because Jim Laker and Tony Lock were England's main spin bowlers when he started out, then came Deadly Derek Underwood, so perhaps it's understandable why he never had a call up, great bowler though he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    Wonderful commentary voice

From Swansea ?

I loves a quickly I does !

Yes them two stopped him in the 50s but he was playing right through to the 70s, Fred Titmus and underwood were selected before him.Richie Benaud was among those who believed he would have thrived on the big stage. “Had he been an Australian he would have played for his country many, many times,” he said.

Weather looking worse now tomorrow and esp Sunday. I think it will ruin this test and thus the series

you can watch all the glam county games on you tube , most of the 20 over games , probly the 50 over , and ''anyone got a link''

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Sophia Gardens does stage England games fairly regularly at least.

Maybe they could add a dragon to the bottom of their badge. Adding dragons to the bottom of badges is always popular...
    ;-)